Subscribe to RSS
Late-onset fracture-associated osteosarcoma in a cat
14 October 2011
Accepted 02 April 2012
18 December 2017 (online)
An 18-year-old male, castrated Domestic Shorthaired cat was presented with the complaint of acute severe lameness of the left pelvic limb. There was no history of trauma, apart from a distal physeal left femoral fracture that had been repaired 17 years previously. Radiology revealed a displaced distal metaphyseal femoral fracture with marked areas of bone lysis and periosteal proliferations. A pathological fracture due to a bone neoplasia was suspected. An amputation with coxofemoral disarticulation was performed. Histopathology confirmed the tentative diagnosis of appendicular osteosarcoma. No postoperative complications were encountered and the cat made a full recovery. This case shows an unusual presentation of a late-onset fracture-associated feline osteosarcoma.
- 1 Liu SK, Dorfman HD, Patnaik AK. Primary and secondary bone tumors in the cat. J Small Anim Pract 1974; 15: 141-156.
- 2 Kessler M, Tassani-Prell M, von Bomhard D. et al. Das Osteosarkom der Katze: epidemiologische, klinische und röntgenologische Befunde bei 78 Tieren(1990 - 1995) [Osteosarcoma in cats: epidemiological, clinical and radiological findings in 78 animals (1990-1995)]. Tierarztl Prax. 1997 25. 275-283.
- 3 Heldmann E, Anderson MA, Wagner-Mann C. Feline osteosarcoma: 145 cases (1990-1995). J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2000; 36: 518-521.
- 4 Garzotto C, Berg J. Oncology: Musculoskeletal System. In: Slatter D. Textbook of Small Animal Surgery. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2003. pg. 2460-2474
- 5 Bennett D, Campbell JR, Brown P. Osteosarcoma associated with healed fractures. J Small Anim Pract 1979; 20: 13-18.
- 6 Sinibaldi K, Pugh J, Rosen H. et al. Osteomyelitis and neoplasia associated with use of the Jonas intramedullary splint in small animals. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1982; 181: 885-890.
- 7 Fry PD, Jukes HF. Fracture associated sarcoma in the cat. J Small Anim Pract 1995; 36: 124-126.
- 8 Weigel JP. Amputations. In: Slatter D. Textbook of Small Animal Surgery. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2003. pg. 2180-2190
- 9 Turrel JM, Pool RR. Primary bone tumors in the cat: a retrospective study of 15 cats and a literature review. Vet Radiol 1982; 23: 152-166.
- 10 Bitetto WV, Patnaik AK, Schrader SC. et al. Osteosarcoma in cats: 22 cases (1974-1984). J Am Vet Med Assoc 1987; 190: 91-93.
- 11 Stevenson S. Fracture-associated sarcomas. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 1991; 21: 859-872.
- 12 Roush JK. Surgical Biology: Biomaterials and surgical implants. In: Slatter D. Textbook of Small Animal Surgery. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2003. pg. 141-148
- 13 Stevenson S, Hohn RB, Pohler OE. et al. Fracture-associated sarcoma in the dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1982; 180: 1189-1896.
- 14 Holmberg BJ, Farese JP, Taylor D. et al. Osteosarcoma of the humeral head associated with osteochondritis dissecans in a dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2004; 40: 246-249.
- 15 Mangham DC, Davie MW, Grimer RJ. Sarcoma arising in Paget's disease of bone: declining incidence and increasing age at presentation. Bone 2009; 44: 431-436.
- 16 Straw M. What is your diagnosis? Fracture/implant-associated osteosarcoma following TPLO procedures. J Small Anim Pract 2005; 46: 457-459.
- 17 Roe SC, De Young D, Weinstock D. et al. Osteosarcoma eight years after total hip arthroplasty. Vet Surg 1996; 25: 70-74.