Dental Imaging – A basic guide for the radiologistArtikel in mehreren Sprachen: English | deutsch
22. Februar 2018
04. Mai 2018
18.Juni 2018 (eFirst)
Background As dental imaging accounts for approximately 40 % of all X-ray examinations in Germany, profound knowledge of this topic is essential not only for the dentist but also for the clinical radiologist. This review focuses on basic imaging findings regarding the teeth. Therefore, tooth structure, currently available imaging techniques and common findings in conserving dentistry including endodontology, periodontology, implantology and dental trauma are presented.
Methods Literature research on the current state of dental radiology was performed using Pubmed.
Results and Conclusion Currently, the most frequent imaging techniques are the orthopantomogram (OPG) and single-tooth radiograph, as well as computer tomography (CT) and cone beam CT mainly for implantology (planning or postoperative control) or trauma indications. Especially early diagnosis and correct classification of a dental trauma, such as dental pulp involvement, prevents from treatment delays or worsening of therapy options and prognosis. Furthermore, teeth are commonly a hidden focus of infection.
Since radiologists are frequently confronted with dental imaging, either concerning a particular question such as a trauma patient or regarding incidental findings throughout head and neck imaging, further training in this field is more than worthwhile to facilitate an early and sufficient dental treatment.
This review focuses on dental imaging techniques and the most important pathologies.
Dental pathologies may not only be locally but also systemically relevant.
Reporting of dental findings is important for best patient care.
Masthoff M, Gerwing M, Masthoff M et al. Dental Imaging – A basic guide for the radiologist. Fortschr Röntgenstr 2019; 191: 192 – 198
- 1 Jordan RA, Bodechtel C, Hertrampf K. et al. The Fifth German Oral Health Study (Funfte Deutsche Mundgesundheitsstudie, DMS V) – rationale, design, and methods. BMC Oral Health 2014; 14: 161
- 2 Oenning AC, Jacobs R, Pauwels R. et al. Cone-beam CT in paediatric dentistry: DIMITRA project position statement. Pediatr Radiol 2017; DOI: 10.1007/s00247-017-4012-9.
- 3 Miracle AC, Mukherji SK. Conebeam CT of the head and neck, part 2: clinical applications. Am J Neuroradiol 2009; 30: 1285-1292
- 4 Uhlig J, Fischer U, Surov A. et al. Contrast-enhanced cone-beam breast-CT: Analysis of optimal acquisition time for discrimination of breast lesion malignancy. Eur J Radiol 2018; 99: 9-16
- 5 Casselman JW, Gieraerts K, Volders D. et al. Cone beam CT: non-dental applications. JBR-BTR 2013; 96: 333-353
- 6 Posadzy M, Desimpel J, Vanhoenacker F. Cone beam CT of the musculoskeletal system: clinical applications. Insights Imaging 2018; 9: 35-45
- 7 Rehan OM, Saleh HAK, Raffat HA. et al. Osseous changes in the temporomandibular joint in rheumatoid arthritis: A cone-beam computed tomography study. Imaging Sci Dent 2018; 48: 1-9
- 8 Abuhaimed A, Martin CJ. Evaluation of coefficients to derive organ and effective doses from cone-beam CT (CBCT) scans: A Monte Carlo study. J Radiol Prot 2017; DOI: 10.1088/1361-6498/aa9b9f.
- 9 Loubele M, Bogaerts R, Van Dijck E. et al. Comparison between effective radiation dose of CBCT and MSCT scanners for dentomaxillofacial applications. Eur J Radiol 2009; 71: 461-468
- 10 European Comission. Cone Beam CT for Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology: Evidence Based Guidelines. 172 Radiation Protection Publication; 2012
- 11 Pauwels R. Cone beam CT for dental and maxillofacial imaging: dose matters. Radiat Prot Dosimetry 2015; 165: 156-161
- 12 Rehani MM, Gupta R, Bartling S. et al. Radiological Protection in Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT). ICRP Publication 129. Ann ICRP 2015; 44: 9-127
- 13 Ballanti F, Lione R, Fiaschetti V. et al. Low-dose CT protocol for orthodontic diagnosis. Eur J Paediatr Dent 2008; 9: 65-70
- 14 Kyriakou Y, Kolditz D, Langner O. et al. Digital volume tomography (DVT) and multislice spiral CT (MSCT): an objective examination of dose and image quality. Rofo 2011; 183: 144-153
- 15 Loubele M, Jacobs R, Maes F. et al. Radiation dose vs image quality for low-dose CT protocols of the head for maxillofacial surgery and oral implant planning. Radiat Prot Dosimetry 2005; 117: 211-216
- 16 Hofmann E, Medelnik J, Fink M. et al. Three-dimensional volume tomographic study of the imaging accuracy of impacted teeth: MSCT and CBCT comparison--an in vitro study. Eur J Orthod 2013; 35: 286-294
- 17 Hofmann E, Schmid M, Lell M. et al. Cone beam computed tomography and low-dose multislice computed tomography in orthodontics and dentistry: a comparative evaluation on image quality and radiation exposure. J Orofac Orthop 2014; 75: 384-398
- 18 Hofmann E, Schmid M, Sedlmair M. et al. Comparative study of image quality and radiation dose of cone beam and low-dose multislice computed tomography--an in-vitro investigation. Clin Oral Investig 2014; 18: 301-311
- 19 Ludlow JB, Timothy R, Walker C. et al. Effective dose of dental CBCT-a meta analysis of published data and additional data for nine CBCT units. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2015; 44: 20140197
- 20 Pauwels R, Beinsberger J, Collaert B. et al. Effective dose range for dental cone beam computed tomography scanners. Eur J Radiol 2012; 81: 267-271
- 21 Detterbeck A, Hofmeister M, Hofmann E. et al. MRI vs CT for orthodontic applications: comparison of two MRI protocols and three CT (multislice, cone-beam, industrial) technologies. J Orofac Orthop 2016; 77: 251-261
- 22 Puertas A, Magan-Fernandez A, Blanc V. et al. Association of periodontitis with preterm birth and low birth weight: a comprehensive review. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2018; 5: 597-602
- 23 Pitts NB, Zero DT, Marsh PD. et al. Dental caries. Nat Rev Dis Primers 2017; 3: 17030
- 24 Palotie U, Eronen AK, Vehkalahti K. et al. Longevity of 2- and 3-surface restorations in posterior teeth of 25- to 30-year-olds attending Public Dental Service-A 13-year observation. J Dent 2017; 62: 13-17
- 25 Moraschini V, Fai CK, Alto RM. et al. Amalgam and resin composite longevity of posterior restorations: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Dent 2015; 43: 1043-1050
- 26 Ribeiro DM, Reus JC, Felippe WT. et al. Technical quality of root canal treatment performed by undergraduate students using hand instrumentation: a meta-analysis. Int Endod J 2017; DOI: 10.1111/iej.12853.
- 27 Armitage GC. Development of a classification system for periodontal diseases and conditions. Ann Periodontol 1999; 4: 1-6
- 28 Kaur S, Bright R, Proudman SM. et al. Does periodontal treatment influence clinical and biochemical measures for rheumatoid arthritis? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2014; 44: 113-122
- 29 Engebretson S, Kocher T. Evidence that periodontal treatment improves diabetes outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Periodontol 2013; 84: S153-S169
- 30 Graziani F, Gennai S, Solini A. et al. A systematic review and meta-analysis of epidemiologic observational evidence on the effect of periodontitis on diabetes An update of the EFP-AAP review. J Clin Periodontol 2018; 45: 167-187
- 31 Kebede TG, Pink C, Rathmann W. et al. Does periodontitis affect diabetes incidence and haemoglobin A1c change?. An 11-year follow-up study. Diabetes Metab 2017; DOI: 10.1016/j.diabet.2017.11.003.
- 32 Sanz M, Ceriello A, Buysschaert M. et al. Scientific evidence on the links between periodontal diseases and diabetes: Consensus report and guidelines of the joint workshop on periodontal diseases and diabetes by the International Diabetes Federation and the European Federation of Periodontology. J Clin Periodontol 2018; 45: 138-149
- 33 Jepsen S, Stadlinger B, Terheyden H. et al. Science transfer: oral health and general health – the links between periodontitis, atherosclerosis and diabetes. J Clin Periodontol 2015; 42: 1071-1073
- 34 Zarb GA. Clinical application of osseointegration. An introduction. Swed Dent J Suppl 1985; 28: 7-9
- 35 Hanif A, Qureshi S, Sheikh Z. et al. Complications in implant dentistry. Eur J Dent 2017; 11: 135-140
- 36 Ramanauskaite A, Juodzbalys G. Diagnostic Principles of Peri-Implantitis: a Systematic Review and Guidelines for Peri-Implantitis Diagnosis Proposal. J Oral Maxillofac Res 2016; 7: e8
- 37 Bezroukov V. The application of the International Classification of Diseases to dentistry and stomatology. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1979; 7: 21-24
- 38 Cohenca N, Silberman A. Contemporary imaging for the diagnosis and treatment of traumatic dental injuries: A review. Dent Traumatol 2017; 33: 321-328
- 39 Tamimi D. Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology. Radiol Clin North Am 2018; 56: 105-124