Assessment of Barrett’s esophagus and dysplasia with ultrahigh-speed volumetric en face and cross-sectional optical coherence tomography
submitted 09 November 2017
accepted after revision 31 July 2018
27 September 2018 (eFirst)
Background This study aimed to evaluate the use of ultrahigh-speed volumetric en face and cross-sectional optical coherence tomography (OCT) with micromotor catheters for the in vivo assessment of Barrett’s esophagus and dysplasia.
Methods 74 OCT datasets with correlated biopsy/endoscopic mucosal resection histology (49 nondysplastic Barrett’s esophagus [NDBE], 25 neoplasia) were obtained from 14 patients with Barrett’s esophagus and a history of dysplasia and 30 with NDBE. The associations between irregular mucosal patterns on en face OCT, absence of mucosal layering, surface signal > subsurface, and > 5 atypical glands on cross-sectional OCT vs. histology and treatment history were assessed by three blinded readers.
Results Atypical glands under irregular mucosal patterns occurred in 75 % of neoplasia (96 % of treatment-naïve neoplasia) vs. 30 % of NDBE datasets (43 % of short- and 18 % of long-segment NDBE). Mucosal layering was absent in 35 % of neoplasia and 50 % of NDBE datasets, and surface signal > subsurface occurred in 29 % of neoplasia and 30 % of NDBE datasets.
Conclusions Atypical glands under irregular mucosal patterns are strongly associated with neoplasia, suggesting potential markers for dysplasia and a role in pathogenesis.
- 1 Sharma P, Bergman JJ, Goda K. et al. Development and validation of a classification system to identify high-grade dysplasia and esophageal adenocarcinoma in Barrett’s esophagus using narrow-band imaging. Gastroenterology 2016; 150: 591-598
- 2 Canto MI. Endomicroscopy of Barrett’s esophagus. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2010; 39: 759-769
- 3 Adler DC, Chen Y, Huber R. et al. Three-dimensional endomicroscopy using optical coherence tomography. Nature Photonics 2007; 1: 709-716
- 4 Wolfsen HC, Sharma P, Wallace MB. et al. Safety and feasibility of volumetric laser endomicroscopy in patients with Barrett’s esophagus (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 82: 631-640
- 5 Swager AF, Tearney GJ, Leggett CL. et al. Identification of volumetric laser endomicroscopy features predictive for early neoplasia in Barrett’s esophagus using high-quality histological correlation. Gastrointest Endosc 2017; 85: 918-926.e7
- 6 Leggett CL, Gorospe EC, Chan DK. et al. Comparative diagnostic performance of volumetric laser endomicroscopy and confocal laser endomicroscopy in the detection of dysplasia associated with Barrett’s esophagus. Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 83: 880-888.2
- 7 Tsai TH, Ahsen OO, Lee HC. et al. Endoscopic optical coherence angiography enables 3-dimensional visualization of subsurface microvasculature. Gastroenterology 2014; 147: 1219-1221
- 8 Isenberg G, Sivak Jr. MV, Chak A. et al. Accuracy of endoscopic optical coherence tomography in the detection of dysplasia in Barrett’s esophagus: a prospective, double-blinded study. Gastrointest Endosc 2005; 62: 825-831
- 9 Evans JA, Poneros JM, Bouma BE. et al. Optical coherence tomography to identify intramucosal carcinoma and high-grade dysplasia in Barrett’s esophagus. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006; 4: 38-43
- 10 Liang K, Ahsen OO, Lee HC. et al. Volumetric mapping of Barrett’s esophagus and dysplasia with en face optical coherence tomography tethered capsule. Am J Gastroenterol 2016; 111: 1664-1666
- 11 Alshelleh M, Inamdar S, McKinley M. et al. Incremental yield of dysplasia detection in Barrett’s esophagus using volumetric laser endomicroscopy with and without laser marking compared with a standardized random biopsy protocol. Gastrointest Endosc 2018; 88: 35-42
- 12 Gupta N, Siddiqui U, Waxman I. et al. Use of volumetric laser endomicroscopy for dysplasia detection at the gastroesophageal junction and gastric cardia. World J Gastrointest Endosc 2017; 9: 319-326
- 13 McDonald SA, Lavery D, Wright NA. et al. Barrett oesophagus: lessons on its origins from the lesion itself. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2015; 12: 50-60
- 14 Cotton CC, Duits LC, Wolf WA. et al. Spatial predisposition of dysplasia in Barrett’s esophagus segments: a pooled analysis of the SURF and AIM dysplasia trials. Am J Gastroenterol 2015; 110: 1412-1419