An international study on the use of peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) in the management of esophageal diverticula: the first multicenter D-POEM experience
submitted 08 May 2018
accepted after revision: 14 September 2018
19 November 2018 (online)
Background The aim of this study is to report a novel, multicenter experience with the diverticular peroral endoscopic myotomy (D-POEM) technique in the management of esophageal diverticula.
Methods This is a multicenter, international, retrospective study involving three centers. D-POEM was performed using the principles of submucosal endoscopy.
Results A total of 11 patients with an esophageal diverticulum (Zenker’s 7, mid-esophagus 1, epiphrenic 3) were included. The mean size of the esophageal diverticula was 34.5 mm. The overall technical success rate of D-POEM was 90.9 %, with a mean procedure time of 63.2 minutes. There were no adverse events. Clinical success was achieved in 100 % (10 /10), with a decrease in mean dysphagia score from 2.7 to 0.1 (P < 0.001) during a median follow-up of 145 days (interquartile range 126 – 273).
Conclusion Endoscopic management of esophageal diverticula using the novel technique of D-POEM appears promising. This first case series on D-POEM suggests that the procedure is feasible, safe, and effective in the management of esophageal diverticula. D-POEM offers the distinct advantage of ensuring a complete septotomy. Larger studies are needed to confirm these intriguing results.
- 1 Aiolfi A, Scolari F, Saino G. et al. Current status of minimally invasive endoscopic management for Zenker diverticulum. World J Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 7: 87-93
- 2 Chan DSY, Foliaki A, Lewis WG. et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis of surgicaltreatment of non-Zenker's oesophageal diverticula. J Gastrointest Surg 2017; 21: 1067-1075
- 3 Dzeletovic I, Ekbom DC, Baron TH. Flexible endoscopic and surgical management of Zenker's diverticulum. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2012; 6: 449-465 ; quiz 466
- 4 Halland M, Grooteman KV, Baron TH. Flexible endosopic management of Zenker's diverticulum: characteristics and outcomes of 52 cases at a tertiary referral center. Dis Esophagus 2016; 29: 273-277
- 5 Case DJ, Baron TH. Flexible endoscopic management of Zenker diverticulum: the Mayo Clinic experience. Mayo Clin Proc 2010; 85: 719-722
- 6 Ishaq S, Hassan C, Antonello A. et al. Flexible endoscopic treatment for Zenker's diverticulum: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 83: 1076-1089.e5
- 7 Verdonck J, Morton RP. Systematic review on treatment of Zenker's diverticulum. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2015; 272: 3095-3107
- 8 Yuan Y, Zhao YF, Hu Y. et al. Surgical treatment of Zenkerʼs diverticulum. Dig Surg 2013; 30: 207-218
- 9 Wilmsen J, Baumbach R, Stüker D. et al. New flexible endoscopic controlled stapler technique for the treatment of Zenker's diverticulum: A case series. World J Gastroenterol 2017; 23: 3084-3091
- 10 Li QL, Chen WF, Zhang XC. et al. Submucosal tunneling endoscopic septum division: a novel technique for treating Zenkerʼs diverticulum. Gastroenterology 2016; 151: 1071-1074
- 11 Mou Y, Zeng H, Wang Q. et al. Giant mid-esophageal diverticula successfully treated by per-oral endoscopic myotomy. Surg Endosc 2016; 30: 335-338
- 12 Demeter M, Banovcin Jr P. Peroral endoscopic myotomy in achalasia and large epiphrenic diverticulum. Dig Endosc 2018; 30: 260-262
- 13 Brieau B, Leblanc S, Bordacahar B. et al. Submucosal tunneling endoscopic septum division for Zenker's diverticulum: a reproducible procedure for endoscopists who perform peroral endoscopic myotomy. Endoscopy 2017; 49: 613-614
- 14 Hernandez MondragonOV, Solorzano PinedaMO, Blancas ValenciaJM. Zenker's diverticulum: Submucosal tunneling endoscopic septum division (Z-POEM). Dig Endosc 2018; 30: 124
- 15 Dakkak M, Bennett JR. A new dysphagia score with objective validation. J Clin Gastroenterol 1992; 14: 99-100
- 16 Charlson ME, Pompei P, Ales KL. et al. A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation. J Chronic Dis 1987; 40: 373-383
- 17 Cotton PB, Eisen GM, Aabakken L. et al. A lexicon for endoscopic adverse events: report of an ASGE workshop. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 71: 446-454
- 18 Brewer Gutierrez OI, Moran R, Yang J. et al. Successful single-session cricopharyngeal and Zenker's diverticulum peroral endoscopic myotomy. Endoscopy 2018; 50: E220-E221