Durability and long-term outcomes of direct EUS-guided gastroenterostomy using lumen-apposing metal stents for gastric outlet obstruction
submitted 12 September 2018
accepted after revision 09 November 2018
30 January 2019 (online)
Background and study aims EUS-guided gastroenterostomy (GE) is a novel, minimally invasive endoscopic procedure for the treatment of gastric outlet obstruction (GOO). The direct-EUS-GE (D-GE) approach has recently gained traction. We aimed to report on a large cohort of patients who underwent DGE with focus on long-term outcomes.
Patients and methods This two-center, retrospective study involved consecutive patients who underwent D-GE between October 2014 and May 2018. The primary outcomes were technical and clinical success. Secondary outcomes were adverse events (AEs), rate of reintervention, procedure time, time to resume oral diet, and post-procedure length of stay (LOS).
Results A total of 57 patients (50.9 % female; median age 65 years) underwent D-GE for GOO. The etiology was malignant in 84.2 % and benign in 15.8 %. Technical success and clinical success were achieved in 93 % and 89.5 % of patients, respectively, with a median follow-up of 196 days in malignant GOO and 319.5 days in benign GOO. There were 2 (3.5 %) AEs, one severe and one moderate. Median procedure time was 39 minutes (IQR, 26 – 51.5 minutes). Median time to resume oral diet after D-GE was 1 day (IQR 1 – 2 days). Median post D-GE LOS was 3 days (IQR 2 – 7 days). Rate of reintervention was 15.1 %.
Conclusions D-GE is safe and effective in management of both malignant and benign causes of GOO. Clinical success with D-GE is durable with a low rate of reintervention based on a long-term cohort.
* These authors contributed equally.
- 1 Irani S, Kozarek RA. Techniques and principles of endoscopic treatment for benign gastrointestinal strictures. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2015; 31: 339-350
- 2 Banerjee S, Cash BD, Dominitz JA. ASGE Standards of Practice Committee. et al. The role of endoscopy in the management of patients with peptic ulcer disease. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 71: 663-668
- 3 Dormann AJ, Deppe H, Wigginghaus B. Self-expanding metallic stents for continuous dilatation of benign stenosis in gastrointestinal tract – first results of long-term follow-up in interim stent application in pyloric and colonic obstructions. Z Gastroenterol 2001; 39: 957-960
- 4 Choi WJ, Park JJ, Park J. et al. Effects of the temporary placement of a self-expandable metallic stent in benign pyloric stenosis. Gut Liver 2013; 7: 417-422
- 5 Heo J, Jung MK. Safety and efficacy of a partially covered self-expandable metal stent in benign pyloric obstruction. World J Gastroenterol 2014; 20: 16721-16725
- 6 Irani S, Kozarek RA. 6th edition Yamada’s textbook of Gastroenterology. West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons Ltd; 2016
- 7 Paimela H, Tuompo PK, Peräkyl T. et al. Peptic ulcer surgery during the H2-receptor antagonist era: a population-based epidemiological study of ulcer surgery in Helsinki from 1972 to 1987. Br J Surg 1991; 78: 28-31
- 8 Oh SY, Edwards A, Mandelson M. et al. Survival and clinical outcome after endoscopic duodenal stent placement for malignant gastric outlet obstruction: comparison of pancreatic cancer and nonpancreatic cancer. Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 82: 460-468
- 9 Khashab MA, Bukhari M, Baron TH. et al. International multicenter comparative trial of endoscopic ultrasonography-guided gastroenterostomy versus surgical gastrojejunostomy for the treatment of malignant gastric outlet obstruction. Endosc Int Open 2017; 5: E275-E281
- 10 Perez-Miranda M, Tyberg A, Poletto D. et al. EUS-guided gastrojejunostomy versus laparoscopic gastrojejunostomy: an international collaborative study. J Clin Gastroenterol 2017; 51: 896-899
- 11 Khashab MA, Kumbhari V, Grimm IS. et al. EUS-guided gastroenterostomy: the first U. S. clinical experience (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 82: 932-938
- 12 Tyberg A, Perez-Miranda M, Sanchez-Ocaña R. et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided gastrojejunostomy with a lumen-apposing metal stent: a multicenter, international experience. Endosc Int Open 2016; 4: E276-E281
- 13 Itoi T, Ishii K, Ikeuchi N. et al. Prospective evaluation of endoscopic ultrasonography-guided double-balloon-occluded gastrojejunostomy bypass (EPASS) for malignant gastric outlet obstruction. Gut 2016; 65: 193-195
- 14 Chen YI, Kunda R, Storm AC. et al. EUS-guided gastroenterostomy: a multicenter study comparing the direct and balloon-assisted techniques. Gastrointest Endosc 2018; 87: 1215-1221
- 15 Chen YI, Itoi T, Baron TH. et al. EUS-guided gastroenterostomy is comparable to enteral stenting with fewer re-interventions in malignant gastric outlet obstructions. Surg Endosc 2017; 31: 2946-2952
- 16 Adler DG, Baron TH. Endoscopic palliation of malignant gastric outlet obstruction using self-expanding metal stents: experience in 36 patients. Am J Gastroenterol 2002; 97: 72-78
- 17 Cotton PB, Eisen GM, Aabakken L. et al. A lexicon for endoscopic adverse events: report of an ASGE workshop. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 71: 446-454
- 18 Binmoeller KF, Shah JN. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided gastroenterostomy using novel tools designed for transluminal therapy: a porcine study. Endoscopy 2012; 44: 499-503
- 19 Itoi T, Itokawa F, Uraoka T. et al. Novel EUS-guided gastrojejunostomy technique using a new double-balloon enteric tube and lumen-apposing metal stent (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc 2013; 78: 934-939
- 20 Khashab MA, Baron TH, Binmoeller KF. et al. EUS-guided gastroenterostomy: a new promising technique in evolution. Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 81: 1234-1236
- 21 Itoi T, Tsuchiya T, Tonozuka R. et al. Novel EUS-guided double-balloon-occluded gastrojejunostomy bypass. Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 83: 461-462
- 22 Siddiqui UD, Levy MJ. EUS-guided transluminal interventions. Gastroenterology 2018; 154: 1911-1924
- 23 Ungureanu BS, Pătrașcu Ș, Drăgoescu A. et al. Comparative study of NOTES versus endoscopic ultrasound gastrojejunostomy in pigs: a prospective study. Surg Innov 2018; 25: 16-21
- 24 Amin S, Sethi A. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided gastrojejunostomy. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 2017; 27: 707-713
- 25 Irani S, Baron TH, Itoi T. et al. Endoscopic gastroenterostomy: techniques and review. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2017; 33: 320-329
- 26 Itoi T, Baron TH, Khashab MA. et al. Technical review of endoscopic ultrasonography-guided gastroenterostomy in 2017. Dig Endosc 2017; 29: 495-502
- 27 Chen YI, James T, Agarwal A. et al. EUS-guided gastroenterostomy in management of benign gastric outlet obstruction. Endosc Int Open 2018; 6: E363-E368