Subscribe to RSS
Impact of metal and plastic stents on endoscopic ultrasound-guided aspiration cytology and core histology of head of pancreas masses
submitted 07 February 2018
accepted after revision 12 November 2018
17 January 2019 (online)
Background Stents are frequently placed in patients with biliary obstruction due to a mass in the head of the pancreas. The impact of plastic or self-expandable metal stents (SEMSs) on endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-guided tissue sampling is unclear. This study aimed to assess, using strict pathological criteria, whether stents impair fine-needle aspiration (FNA) or fine-needle biopsy (FNB).
Methods All patients with a solid mass in the head of the pancreas who underwent EUS-guided tissue sampling between 2010 and 2016 at our unit were included. Factors with possible impact on diagnostic performance were analyzed using logistic regression. Analysis was performed using both strict (malignant only) and less strict (suspicious for malignancy) cutoffs.
Results Of 631 individuals undergoing 698 procedures, 535 (84.8 %) had a final diagnosis of malignancy, 141 had SEMS, 149 had plastic stents, and 341 had no stent. Using strict criteria, SEMS were associated with an increased occurrence of incorrect diagnosis of EUS tissue sampling, with an odds ratio (OR) of 1.96 (95 % confidence interval [CI] 1.24 – 3.10). Increasing tumor size (OR 0.72, 95 %CI 0.59 – 0.87), increasing number of passes (OR 0.84, 95 %CI 0.72 – 0.99), and fork-tip biopsy needle (OR 0.52, 95 %CI 0.31 – 0.86) were independently associated with a decrease in incorrect diagnosis. Repeat tissue sampling was more common with SEMSs (10.2 %) than with plastic stents (2.9 %) or no stents (4.5 %) (P < 0.02).
Conclusion SEMS use had a negative impact on tissue diagnosis in pancreatic head masses, whereas use of a fork-tip biopsy needle and increasing number of passes were independently associated with improved accuracy.
- 1 Lutz MP, Zalcberg JR, Ducreux M. et al. 3rd St. Gallen EORTC Gastrointestinal Cancer Conference: consensus recommendations on controversial issues in the primary treatment of pancreatic cancer. Eur J Cancer 2017; 79: 41-49
- 2 Tempero MA, Malafa MP, Al-Hawary M. et al. Pancreatic adenocarcinoma, version 2.2017, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2017; 15: 1028-1061
- 3 Dumonceau J-M, Deprez PH, Jenssen C. et al. Indications, results, and clinical impact of endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-guided sampling in gastroenterology: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Clinical Guideline – Updated January 2017. Endoscopy 2017; 49: 695-714
- 4 Tol JA, van Hooft JE, Timmer R. et al. Metal or plastic stents for preoperative biliary drainage in resectable pancreatic cancer. Gut 2016; 65: 1981-1987
- 5 Moss AC, Morris E, Mac Mathuna P. Palliative biliary stents for obstructing pancreatic carcinoma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; (Apr 19) 2: CD004200
- 6 Almadi MA, Barkun A, Martel M. Plastic vs. self-expandable metal stents for palliation in malignant biliary obstruction: a series of meta-analyses. Am J Gastroenterol 2017; 112: 260-273
- 7 Siddiqui AA, Fein M, Kowalski TE. et al. Comparison of the influence of plastic and fully covered metal biliary stents on the accuracy of EUS-FNA for the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Dig Dis Sci 2012; 57: 2438-2445
- 8 Ranney N, Phadnis M, Trevino J. et al. Impact of biliary stents on EUS-guided FNA of pancreatic mass lesions. Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 76: 76-83
- 9 Antonini F, Fuccio L, Giorgini S. et al. Biliary plastic stent does not influence the accuracy of endoscopic ultrasound-guided sampling of pancreatic head masses performed with core biopsy needles. Dig Liver Dis 2017; 49: 898-902
- 10 Kim JJ, Walia S, Lee SH. et al. Lower yield of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration in patients with pancreatic head mass with a biliary stent. Dig Dis Sci 2015; 60: 543-549
- 11 Fisher JM, Gordon SR, Gardner TB. The impact of prior biliary stenting on the accuracy and complication rate of endoscopic ultrasound fine-needle aspiration for diagnosing pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Pancreas 2011; 40: 21-24
- 12 Pitman MB, Centeno BA, Ali SZ. et al. Standardized terminology and nomenclature for pancreatobiliary cytology: the Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology guidelines. Diagn Cytopathol 2014; 42: 338-350
- 13 Cancer Research UK. Pancreatic cancer diagnosis and treatment statistics. Available from: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/pancreatic-cancer/diagnosis-and-treatment#heading-Two Accessed: 14 Oct 2017
- 14 Turner BG, Cizginer S, Agarwal D. et al. Diagnosis of pancreatic neoplasia with EUS and FNA : a report of accuracy. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 71: 91-98
- 15 Iglesias-Garcia J, Lariño-Noia J, Abdulkader I. et al. Rapid on-site evaluation of endoscopic-ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration diagnosis of pancreatic masses. World J Gastroenterol 2014; 20: 9451-9457
- 16 Nayar MK, Chatterjee S, Wadehra V. et al. Does on-site adequacy assessment by cytotechnologists improve results of EUS guided FNA of solid pancreaticobiliary lesions?. JOP 2013; 14: 44-49
- 17 Hébert-Magee S, Bae S, Varadarajulu S. et al. The presence of a cytopathologist increases the diagnostic accuracy of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration cytology for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: a meta-analysis. Cytopathology 2013; 24: 159-171
- 18 Wani S, Mullady D, Early DS. et al. The clinical impact of immediate on-site cytopathology evaluation during endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of pancreatic masses: a prospective multicenter randomized controlled trial. Am J Gastroenterol 2015; 110: 1429-1439
- 19 Kong F, Zhu J, Kong X. et al. Rapid on-site evaluation does not improve endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration adequacy in pancreatic masses: a meta-analysis and systematic review. PLoS One 2016; 11: e0163056
- 20 Kandel P, Tranesh G, Nassar A. et al. EUS-guided fine needle biopsy sampling using a novel fork-tip needle: a case-control study. Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 84: 1034-1039
- 21 Rodrigues-Pinto E, Jalaj S, Grimm IS. et al. Impact of EUS-guided fine-needle biopsy sampling with a new core needle on the need for onsite cytopathologic assessment: a preliminary study. Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 84: 1040-1046
- 22 Nayar MK, Paranandi B, Dawwas MF. et al. Comparison of the diagnostic performance of 2 core biopsy needles for EUS-guided tissue acquisition from solid pancreatic lesions. Gastrointest Endosc 2017; 85: 1017-1024