Translation of the Mayo Elbow Performance Score (MEPS) into German (MEPS-G)Article in several languages: English | deutsch
09 October 2019 (eFirst)
Background The Mayo Elbow Performance Score is a clinical assessment to rate the performance of the elbow from a medical and/or therapeutic perspective. It is simple and efficient to operate and therefore frequently used in research as well as in clinics. However, an adequate translation of the MEPS into the German language and a verification of the quality criteria for the use in the German health system are currently lacking.
Goal of the Study The aim of this study is to translate the MEPS and to review the applicability of the German version (MEPS-G) in Germany.
Materials and Methods The translation was undertaken on the basis of a guideline for cultural adaptation. Two independent translations were created, combined and translated back into English by two native speakers. The back translations were reviewed and the German version was amended accordingly. The suitability of the final questionnaire was verified in a pretest with 73 participants.
Results The MEPS was converted into the German version MEPS-G and was tested. Apart from minor adjustments, the questionnaire was translated into German without difficulty. The time to complete the assessment was on average 2.5 min (± 1.6).
Conclusion First analyses of the psychometric properties of the German MEPS showed identical values as the English version. The detailed quality criteria will be reviewed in a subsequent study.
- 1 Fuchs J, Prütz F. Prävalenz von Gelenkschmerzen in Deutschland. J Health Monit 2017; 2: 66-71 doi:10.17886/RKI-GBE-2017-056
- 2 Statistisches Bundesamt. Gesundheit – Diagnosedaten der Patienten und Patientinnen in Krankenhäusern 2016 (einschl. Sterbe- und Stundenfälle). Fachserie 12, Reihe 6.2.1. Im Internet: https://www.destatis.de/DE/Themen/Gesellschaft-Umwelt/Gesundheit/Krankenhaeuser/Publikationen/Downloads-Krankenhaeuser/diagnosedaten-krankenhaus-2120621167004.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=4 Stand: 01.09.2019
- 3 Marquardt J, Schöttker-Königer T, Schäfer A. [Validation of the German version of the Oxford Elbow Score: a cross-sectional study]. Orthopade 2016; 45: 695-700 doi:10.1007/s00132-016-3292-3
- 4 Offenbächer M, Ewert T, Sangha O. et al. Validation of a German version of the ‘Disabilities of Arm, Shoulder and Hand’ questionnaire (DASH-G). Z Rheumatol 2003; 62: 168-177 doi:10.1007/s00393-003-0461-7
- 5 German G, Harth A, Wind G, Damir E. Der DASH-Fragebogen. Anleitung. University of Heidelberg: Institute for Work & Health; 2006
- 6 Rompe JD, Overend TJ, MacDermid JC. Validation of the Patient-rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation Questionnaire. J Hand Ther 2007; 20: 3-10 doi:10.1197/j.jht.2006.10.003
- 7 John M, Angst F, Awiszus F. et al. The American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons Elbow Questionnaire: cross-cultural adaptation into German and evaluation of its psychometric properties. J Hand Ther 2010; 23: 301-313 doi:10.1016/j.jht.2010.03.001
- 8 Beirer M, Friese H, Lenich A. et al. The Elbow Self-Assessment Score (ESAS): development and validation of a new patient-reported outcome measurement tool for elbow disorders. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2017; 25: 2230-2236 doi:10.1007/s00167-015-3647-z
- 9 Morrey BF, An KN, Chao EYS. Functional Evaluation of the Elbow. In: Morrey BF. ed. The Elbow and its Disorders. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; 1993: 86-97
- 10 The B, Reininga IH, El Moumni M. et al. Elbow-specific clinical rating systems: extent of established validity, reliability, and responsiveness. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2013; 22: 1380-1394 doi:10.1016/j.jse.2013.04.013
- 11 Beaton DE, Bombardier C, Guillemin F. et al. Guidelines for the process of cross-cultural adaptation of self-report measures. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2000; 25: 3186-3191
- 12 Turchin DC, Beaton DE, Richards RR. Validity of observer-based aggregate scoring systems as descriptors of elbow pain, function, and disability. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1998; 80: 154-162
- 13 de Vet HC, Terwee CB, Mokkink LB. et al. Measurement in Medicine. A practical Guide. New York: Cambridge University Press; 2011
- 14 Broberg MA, Morrey BF. Results of treatment of fracture-dislocations of the elbow. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1987; (216) 109-119
- 15 Gill DR, Morrey BF. The Coonrad-Morrey total elbow arthroplasty in patients who have rheumatoid arthritis. A ten to fifteen-year follow-up study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1998; 80: 1327-1335
- 16 Morrey BF. Functional Evaluation of the Elbow. In: Morrey BF, Sanchez Sotelo J, Morrey ME. eds. The Elbow and its Disorders. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2017: 86-97
- 17 de Boer YA, van den Ende CH, Eygendaal D. et al. Clinical reliability and validity of elbow functional assessment in rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol 1999; 26: 1909-1917