Subscribe to RSS
Defining gastrointestinal transit time using video capsule endoscopy: a study of healthy subjects
submitted 23 July 2019
accepted after revision 11 November 2019
21 February 2020 (online)
Background and study aims Determining the etiology and location of gastrointestinal motility disorders can be challenging. A range of investigations targeting specific areas of gastrointestinal transit are available, but many provide clinical data for a given gastrointestinal region alone or for non-specific whole gut transit, and are otherwise of limited use. Video capsule endoscopy allows endoscopic visualisation of the entire gastrointestinal tract, and may also provide more specific data for regional transit time abnormalities.
Patients and methods Data from video capsules ingested by 71 ambulatory healthy subjects were recorded and analyzed to determine gastric and small bowel transit times in the fasting state.
Results Median, and interquartile range (IQR), gastric transit time was 22 (10–48) minutes, and median (IQR) small bowel transit time was 198.5 (157–240.5) minutes.
Conclusion These data, for the first time to our knowledge, provide references for gastrointestinal transit times among healthy ambulatory subjects using video capsule endoscopy. This potentially strengthens clinical use of video capsule endoscopy in the investigation of patients with suspected gastrointestinal motility disorders.
- 1 Gronlund D, Poulsen JL, Sandberg TH. et al. Established and emerging methods for assessment of small and large intestinal motility. Neurogastroenterology and motility : the official journal of the European Gastrointestinal Motility Society 2017; 29 DOI: 10.1111/nmo.13008.
- 2 Keller J, Bassotti G, Clarke J. et al. Expert consensus document: Advances in the diagnosis and classification of gastric and intestinal motility disorders. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2018; 15: 291-308
- 3 Balan K, Sonoda LI, Seshadri N. et al. Clinical significance of scintigraphic rapid gastric emptying. Nucl Med Commun 2011; 32: 1185-1189
- 4 Knight LC. Update on gastrointestinal radiopharmaceuticals and dosimetry estimates. Semin Nucl Med 2012; 42: 138-144
- 5 Diaz Tartera HO, Webb DL, Al-Saffar AK. et al. Validation of SmartPill. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2017; 29: 1-9
- 6 Farmer AD, Scott SM, Hobson AR. Gastrointestinal motility revisited: The wireless motility capsule. United European Gastroenterol J 2013; 1: 413-421
- 7 Hejazi RA, Bashashati M, Saadi M. et al. Video capsule endoscopy: a tool for the assessment of small bowel transit time. Frontiers Med 2016; 3: 6
- 8 Pennazio M, Spada C, Eliakim R. et al. Small-bowel capsule endoscopy and device-assisted enteroscopy for diagnosis and treatment of small-bowel disorders: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Clinical Guideline. Endoscopy 2015; 47: 352-376
- 9 Ou G, Svarta S, Chan C. et al. The effect of chewing gum on small-bowel transit time in capsule endoscopy: a prospective, randomized trial. Gastrointest Endosc 2014; 79: 630-636
- 10 Pioche M, Gaudin JL, Filoche B. et al. Prospective, randomized comparison of two small-bowel capsule endoscopy systems in patients with obscure GI bleeding. Gastrointest Endosc 2011; 73: 1181-1188
- 11 Urgesi R, Cianci R, Bizzotto A. et al. Evaluation of gastric and small bowel transit times in coeliac disease with the small bowel PillCam(R): a single centre study in a non gluten-free diet adult Italian population with coeliac disease. Europ Rev Med Pharmacolog Sci 2013; 17: 1167-1173
- 12 Malagelada C, De Lorio F, Segui S. et al. Functional gut disorders or disordered gut function? Small bowel dysmotility evidenced by an original technique. Neurogastroenterol Motility 2012; 24: 223-e105
- 13 Rauch S, Krueger K, Turan A. et al. Determining small intestinal transit time and pathomorphology in critically ill patients using video capsule technology. Intensive Care Med 2009; 35: 1054-1059
- 14 Hellmig S, Von Schöning F, Gadow C. et al. Gastric emptying time of fluids and solids in healthy subjects determined by 13C breath tests: influence of age, sex and body mass index. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006; 21: 1832-1838
- 15 Niv E, Pinchasovich H, Yanai H. Impact of demographic and clinical parameters on video capsule transit time. Europ J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016; 28: 1161-1165
- 16 Fireman Z, Paz D, Kopelman Y. Capsule endoscopy: Improving transit time and image view. World J Gastroenterol 2005; 11: 5863-5866
- 17 Prichard D, Ou G, Galorport C. et al. Sham feeding with bacon does not alter transit time or complete examination rate during small bowel capsule endoscopy. Dig Dis Sci 2018; 63: 422-428
- 18 Velayos Jimenez B, Fernandez Salazar L, Aller de la Fuente R. et al. Study of gastronitestinal transit times with capsule endoscopy. Gastroenterologia y hepatologia 2005; 28: 315-320
- 19 Cassilly D, Kantor S, Knight L. et al. Gastric emptying of a non-digestible solid: Assessment with simultaneous SmartPill pH and pressure capsule, antroduodenal manometry, gastric emptying scintigraphy. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2008; 20: 311-319
- 20 Kalantzis C, Triantafyllou K, Papadopoulos AA. et al. Effect of three bowel preparations on video-capsule endoscopy gastric and small-bowel transit time and completeness of the examination. Scand J Gastroenterol 2007; 42: 1120-1126
- 21 Camilleri M, Colemont LJ, Phillips SF. et al. Human gastric emptying and colonic filling of solids characterized by a new method. Am J Physiol 1989; 257: G284-290
- 22 Bonapace ES, Maurer AH, Davidoff S. et al. Whole gut transit scintigraphy in the clinical evaluation of patients with upper and lower gastrointestinal symptoms. Am J Gastroenterol 2000; 95: 2838-2847
- 23 Stacher G, Bergmann H. Scintigraphic quantitation of gastrointestinal motor activity and transport: oesophagus and stomach. Eur J Nucl Med 1992; 19: 815-823
- 24 Tougas G, Eaker EY, Abell TL. et al. Assessment of gastric emptying using a low fat meal: establishment of international control values. Am J Gastroenterol 2000; 95: 1456
- 25 Bluck LJ. Recent advances in the interpretation of the (13)C octanoate breath test for gastric emptying. J Breath Res 2009; 3: 034002