Subscribe to RSS
Clinical impact of endoscopic ultrasound-guided through-the-needle microbiopsy in patients with pancreatic cystsTrial Registration: ClinicalTrials.gov Registration number (trial ID): NCT03578445 Type of study: prospective study
Background The limited data on the utility of endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-guided through-the-needle biopsies (TTNBs) in patients with pancreatic cystic lesions (PCLs) originate mainly from retrospective studies. Our aim was to determine the clinical impact of TTNBs, their added diagnostic value, and the adverse event rate in a prospective setting.
Methods This was a prospective, single-center, open-label controlled study. Between February 2018 and August 2019, consecutive patients presenting with a PCL of 15 mm or more and referred for EUS were included. Primary outcome was a change in clinical management of PCLs following TTNB compared with cross-sectional imaging and cytology. Adverse events were defined according to the ASGE lexicon.
Results 101 patients were included. TTNBs led to a change in clinical management in 11.9 % of cases (n = 12). Of these, 10 had serous cysts and surveillance was discontinued, while one of the remaining two cases underwent surgery following diagnosis of a mucinous cystic neoplasm. The diagnostic yield of TTNBs for a specific cyst diagnosis was higher compared with FNA cytology (69.3 % vs. 20.8 %, respectively; P < 0.001). The adverse event rate was 9.9 % (n = 10; 95 % confidence interval 5.4 % – 17.3 %), with the most common event being acute pancreatitis (n = 9). Four of the observed adverse events were severe, including one fatal outcome.
Conclusions TTNBs resulted in a change of clinical management in about one in every 10 patients; however, the associated adverse event risk was substantial. Further studies are warranted to elucidate in which subgroups of patients the clinical benefit outweighs the risks.
Received: 27 February 2020
Accepted: 04 June 2020
21 July 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Kromrey ML, Bulow R, Hubner J. et al. Prospective study on the incidence, prevalence and 5-year pancreatic-related mortality of pancreatic cysts in a population-based study. Gut 2018; 67: 138-145
- 2 Ketwaroo GA, Mortele KJ, Sawhney MS. Pancreatic cystic neoplasms: an update. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2016; 45: 67-81
- 3 Lee KS, Sekhar A, Rofsky NM. et al. Prevalence of incidental pancreatic cysts in the adult population on MR imaging. Am J Gastroenterol 2010; 105: 2079-2084
- 4 Thornton GD, McPhail MJ, Nayagam S. et al. Endoscopic ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration for the diagnosis of pancreatic cystic neoplasms: a meta-analysis. Pancreatology 2013; 13: 48-57
- 5 Pham KD, Engjom T, Gjelberg Kollesete H. et al. Diagnosis of a mucinous pancreatic cyst and resection of an intracystic nodule using a novel through-the-needle micro forceps. Endoscopy 2016; 48 (Suppl. 01) E125-E126
- 6 Yang D, Samarasena JB, Jamil LH. et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided through-the-needle microforceps biopsy in the evaluation of pancreatic cystic lesions: a multicenter study. Endosc Int Open 2018; 6: E1423-E1430
- 7 Yang D, Trindade AJ, Yachimski P. et al. Histologic analysis of endoscopic ultrasound-guided through the needle microforceps biopsies accurately identifies mucinous pancreas cysts. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2019; 17: 1587-1596
- 8 Kovacevic B, Klausen P, Hasselby JP. et al. A novel endoscopic ultrasound-guided through-the-needle microbiopsy procedure improves diagnosis of pancreatic cystic lesions. Endoscopy 2018; 50: 1105-1111
- 9 Basar O, Yuksel O, Yang DJ. et al. Feasibility and safety of microforceps biopsy in the diagnosis of pancreatic cysts. Gastrointest Endosc 2018; 88: 79-86
- 10 Crino SF, Bernardoni L, Brozzi L. et al. Association between macroscopically visible tissue samples and diagnostic accuracy of EUS-guided through-the-needle microforceps biopsy sampling of pancreatic cystic lesions. Gastrointest Endosc 2019; 90: 933-943
- 11 Barresi L, Crino SF, Fabbri C. et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-through-the-needle biopsy in pancreatic cystic lesions: A multicenter study. Dig Endosc 2018; 30: 760-770
- 12 Zhang ML, Arpin RN, Brugge WR. et al. Moray micro forceps biopsy improves the diagnosis of specific pancreatic cysts. Cancer Cytopathol 2018; 126: 414-420
- 13 Tanaka M, Fernandez-Del Castillo C, Kamisawa T. et al. Revisions of international consensus Fukuoka guidelines for the management of IPMN of the pancreas. Pancreatology 2017; 17: 738-753
- 14 Cotton PB, Eisen GM, Aabakken L. et al. A lexicon for endoscopic adverse events: report of an ASGE workshop. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 71: 446-454
- 15 Pitman MB, Centeno BA, Ali SZ. et al. Standardized terminology and nomenclature for pancreatobiliary cytology: the Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology guidelines. Diagn Cytopathol 2014; 42: 338-350
- 16 Gwet KL. Computing inter-rater reliability and its variance in the presence of high agreement. Br J Math Stat Psychol 2008; 61: 29-48
- 17 Gwet KL. Handbook of inter-rater reliability: the definitive guide to measuring the extent of agreement among raters. Gaithersburg, Maryland: Advanced Analytics; 2014
- 18 Rift CV, Toxvaerd A, Kovacevic B. et al. Pitfalls of histopathological evaluation of EUS guided microbiopsies from pancreatic cystic neoplasms. Histopathology 2020; 76: 630-633
- 19 Larghi A, Manfrin E, Fabbri C. et al. Interobserver agreement among expert pathologists on through-the-needle microforceps biopsy samples for evaluation of pancreatic cystic lesions. Gastrointest Endosc 2019; 90: 784-792.e4
- 20 Wu D, Wan J, Xia L. et al. The efficiency of aggressive hydration with lactated Ringer solution for the prevention of post-ERCP pancreatitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Gastroenterol 2017; 51: e68-e76
- 21 Park CH, Paik WH, Park ET. et al. Aggressive intravenous hydration with lactated Ringer's solution for prevention of post-ERCP pancreatitis: a prospective randomized multicenter clinical trial. Endoscopy 2018; 50: 378-385
- 22 Napoleon B, Palazzo M, Lemaistre AI. et al. Needle-based confocal laser endomicroscopy of pancreatic cystic lesions: A prospective multicenter validation study in patients with definite diagnosis. Endoscopy 2019; 51: 825-835
- 23 Singhi AD, McGrath K, Brand RE. et al. Preoperative next-generation sequencing of pancreatic cyst fluid is highly accurate in cyst classification and detection of advanced neoplasia. Gut 2018; 67: 2131-2141
- 24 Vestrup Rift C, Cecilie Melchior L, Kovacevic B. et al. Next generation sequencing of endoscopic ultrasound guided microbiopsies from pancreatic cystic neoplasms. Histopathology 2019; 75: 767-771
- 25 Crino SF, Bernardoni L, Brozzi L. et al. Association between macroscopically visible tissue samples and diagnostic accuracy of EUS-guided through-the-needle microforceps biopsy sampling of pancreatic cystic lesions. Gastrointest Endosc 2019; 90: 933-943