Subscribe to RSS
Analytical Method Development and Validation of UV-visible Spectrophotometric Method for the Estimation of Vildagliptin in Gastric Medium
Background Vildagliptin is an antidiabetic agent, belongs to the dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPP-4) inhibitors.
Objective The aim of investigation was to develop a simple UV-visible Spectrophotometric method for the determination of vildagliptin in its pure form and pharmaceutical formulations, further to validate the developed method.
Material and Methods Vildagliptin was estimated using UV-Visible double beam spectrophotometer at the wavelength of maximum absorption (210 nm) in acidic medium containing 0.1N HCl. The drug was characterized by melting point, Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), and Fourier Transform Infra-Red (FTIR) techniques. The analysis of the drug was carried out by novel UV-Visible method which was validated analytical parameters like linearity, precision, and accuracy as per guidelines laid down by International Conference on Harmonization (ICH).
Result Melting point of drug was found 154°C which is corresponds to its actual melting range. Similarly by the interpretation of spectra the drug was confirmed. The linear response for concentration range of 5–60 µg/ml of vildagliptin was recorded with regression coefficient 0.999. The accuracy was found between 98–101%. Precision for intraday and interday was found to be 1.263 and 1.162 respectively, which are within the limits. To establish the sensitivity of the method, limit of detection (LOD) and limit of quantification (LOQ) were determined which were found to be 0.951 µg/ml and 2.513 µg/ml respectively.
Conclusion The UV method developed and validated for vildagliptin drug was found to be linear, accurate, precise and economical which can be used for the testing of its pharmaceutical formulations.
Received: 17 June 2020
Accepted: 06 July 2020
Article published online:
03 August 2020
© Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Stuttgart · New York
- 1 Ouaghlidi A, Rehring E, Holst JJ. The dipeptidyl peptidase 4 inhibitor vildagliptin does not accentuate glibenclamide-induced hypoglycemia but reduces glucose-induced glucagon-like peptide 1 and gastric inhibitory polypeptide secretion. J Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 2007; 92: 4165-4171
- 2 Kleppinger EL, Helms K. The role of vildagliptin in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2007; 41: 824-832
- 3 Naveed S, Rahman H, Qamar F. et al. Method development and validation of Vildagliptin using UV spectrophotometer. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014; 5: 714-716
- 4 Baokar SK, Mulgund S, Ranpise NS. Simultaneous spectrophotometric estimation of vildagliptin and metformin in bulk and tablet dosage form. Der Pharma Chemica 2013; 5: 24-27
- 5 Ramu S, Babu MR. Sri et al. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release vildagliptin microspheres. IntJ Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Res 2016; 8: 275-294
- 6 Warule PS, Patel VP, Gosavi SA. Development and Validation of UV Spectrophotometric Method for the Estimation of Curcumin in an Ayurvedic Formulation Haridrakhand. Int J Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis 2017; 5: 193-197
- 7 ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guidelines (2005) Validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology, Q2 (R).
- 8 Sagar S. Simultaneous determination of curcumin and gefitinib in pure form by using UV Spectrophotometric method. Hygeia: J Drugs and Med 2017; 9: 1-8
- 9 Ayalasomayajula SP, Dole K. He et al. Evaluation of the potential for steady-state pharmacokinetic interaction between vildagliptin and simvastatin in healthy subjects. Current Med Res Opinion 2007; 23: 2913-2920
- 10 He YL, Sabo R, Riviere GJ. et al. Effect of the novel oral dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor vildagliptin on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of warfarin in healthy subjects. Current Med Res Opinion 2007; 23: 1131-1138
- 11 Ashwinder S, Rao VA. Development and Validation of UV-Spectrophotometric method for the Estimation of Curcumin in Standardized Polyherbal Formulations. J Young Pharmacists 2017; 9: 491-495
- 12 Holkar VV, Deepika R. , Nirmal, Sonali-KapseMistry Development and Validation of UV Spectrophotometric Method for the estimation of curcumin in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharm Sci 2015; 4: 221-229
- 13 Wisut W, Nutthapon J, Sunibhond P. et al. A Simple Isocratic HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Curcuminoids in Commercial Turmeric Extracts. Phytochemical Analysis 2009; 20: 314-319
- 14 Kadam PV, Bhingare CL, Nikam RV. et al. Development and validation of UV Spectrophotometric method for the estimation of Curcumin in cream formulation. Pharmaceutical Methods 2013; 4: 43-45
- 15 Raja NP, Kalyan P. Formulation and evaluation of bilayered tablet of candisertancilexetil. International Journal of Pharmacy and Tech 2016; 11: 123-134
- 16 Halima OA, Aneesh TP, Ghosh R. et al. Development and validation of UV Spectrophotometric method for the estimation of asenapine maleate in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. Der Pharma Chemica 2012; 4: 644-649
- 17 Dewan I, Islam S, Rana MS. Characterization and Compatibility Studies of Different Rate Retardant Polymer Loaded Microspheres by Solvent Evaporation Technique: In Vitro-In Vivo Study of Vildagliptin as a Model Drug. J Drug Deliv 2015; 496807