Subscribe to RSS
A novel technique for mapping biopsy of bile duct cancer
Background Accurate preoperative assessment of the longitudinal extension of perihilar cholangiocarcinoma (PHCC) is essential for treatment planning. Mapping biopsies for PHCC remain challenging owing to technical difficulties and insufficient sample amounts. The aim of this study was to investigate the usefulness of a novel technique for mapping biopsies of PHCC.
Methods Our novel method focused on a biliary stent delivery system for mapping biopsies. Fifty patients with PHCC undergoing endoscopic transpapillary mapping biopsy using the novel method were reviewed from August 2015 to June 2019.
Results The median number of biopsy samples was six (range 1 – 17), and the rate of adequate sampling was 91.4 % (266 /291). Biopsy from the intrahepatic bile duct was possible in 82.0 % of patients (41 /50), and negative margins were confirmed in the resected specimens from 34 /39 patients who underwent surgery (87.2 %). None of the patients had post-endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography pancreatitis.
Conclusions With our novel method, accurate assessment of the longitudinal extension of PHCC might be expected with minimal trauma to the duodenal papilla.
Received: 25 March 2020
Accepted: 29 July 2020
22 September 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Erdogan D, Kloek JJ, ten Kate FJ. et al. Immunoglobulin G4-related sclerosing cholangitis in patients resected for presumed malignant bile duct strictures. Br J Surg 2008; 95: 727-734
- 2 Nishikawa T, Tsuyuguchi T, Sakai Y. et al. Preoperative assessment of longitudinal extension of cholangiocarcinoma with peroral videocholangioscopy: a prospective study. Dig Endosc 2014; 26: 450-457
- 3 Yao S, Taura K, Okuda Y. et al. Effect of mapping biopsy on surgical management of cholangiocarcinoma. J Surg Oncol 2018; 118: 997-1005
- 4 Nishikawa Y, Uza N, Yamauchi Y. et al. Successful endoscopic removal of fractured guidewire fragments from a peripheral bile duct using a biliary stent delivery system and biopsy forceps. Endoscopy 2018; 50: E279-E280
- 5 Matsumori T, Uza N, Okada H. et al. A novel technique for performing gallbladder tumor biopsy using a stent delivery system and biopsy forceps. Endoscopy 2020; DOI: 10.1055/a-1149-8625.
- 6 Olano C, Mönkemüller K. Novel ERCP technique using a pushing catheter as a “mini-overtube” to remove a migrated metal stent from the bile duct. Endoscopy 2014; 46 (Suppl. 01) E534-E535
- 7 Pereira GB, Gutierrez JP, D’Assuncao M. et al. Utility of a stent pusher catheter as a “mini-overtube” in the endoscopic management of post-liver transplant biliary strictures. Endoscopy 2015; 47 (Suppl. 01) E587-E589
- 8 Tamada K, Nagai H, Yasuda Y. et al. Transpapillary intraductal US prior to biliary drainage in the assessment of longitudinal spread of extrahepatic bile duct carcinoma. Gastrointest Endosc 2001; 53: 300-307
- 9 Gress F, Chen Y, Sherman S. et al. Experience with a catheter-based ultrasound probe in the bile duct and pancreas. Endoscopy 1995; 27: 178-184
- 10 Kawakami H, Kuwatani M, Etoh K. et al. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiography versus peroral cholangioscopy to evaluate intraepithelial tumor spread in biliary cancer. Endoscopy 2009; 41: 959-964
- 11 Ogawa T, Ito K, Koshita S. et al. Usefulness of cholangioscopic-guided mapping biopsy using SpyGlass DS for preoperative evaluation of extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: a pilot study. Endosc Int Open 2018; 6: E199-E204
- 12 Navaneethan U, Hasan MK, Kommaraju K. et al. Digital, single-operator cholangiopancreatoscopy in the diagnosis and management of pancreatobiliary disorders: a multicenter clinical experience (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 84: 649-655
- 13 Varadarajulu S, Bang JY, Hasan MK. et al. Improving the diagnostic yield of single-operator cholangioscopy-guided biopsy of indeterminate biliary strictures: ROSE to the rescue? (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 84: 681-687
- 14 Hijioka S, Hara K, Mizuno N. et al. A novel technique for endoscopic transpapillary “mapping biopsy specimens” of superficial intraductal spread of bile duct carcinoma (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc 2014; 79: 1020-1025
- 15 Ikeda M, Maetani I, Terada K. et al. Usefulness of endoscopic retrograde biliary biopsy using large-capacity forceps for extrahepatic biliary strictures: a prospective randomized study. Endoscopy 2010; 42: 837-841