Subscribe to RSS
Endoscopic ultrasound-guided radiofrequency ablation of pancreatic microcystic serous cystic neoplasms: a retrospective studyThis study was supported by a grant from the Korean Health Technology R & D project, Ministry of Health & Welfare, Republic of Korea (HI16C1163).
Background Endoscopic ultrasound-guided radiofrequency ablation (EUS-RFA) has been increasingly used for the management of various solid pancreatic tumors. This study aimed to evaluate the feasibility and safety of EUS-RFA for serous cystic neoplasms (SCNs).
Methods 13 patients with microcystic SCNs with honeycomb appearance underwent EUS-RFA using a 19-gauge RFA needle. Before ablation, cystic fluid was aspirated until a thin layer of fluid remained.
Results EUS-RFA was successful in all patients. Seven patients underwent a single session and the remaining six patients underwent a second session of EUS-RFA. One patient (7.7 %) experienced self-limited abdominal pain after EUS-RFA. During a median follow-up period of 9.21 months (interquartile range [IQR] 5.93 – 15.38), the median volume of the SCNs decreased from 37.82 mL (IQR 15.03 – 59.53) at baseline to 10.95 mL (IQR 4.79 – 32.39) at the end of follow-up. A radiologic partial response was achieved in eight patients (61.5 %).
Conclusions EUS-RFA is technically feasible and showed an acceptable rate of adverse events for patients with SCNs. A long-term follow-up study is required to evaluate the efficacy of EUS-RFA.
* Equal first authors
Received: 08 April 2020
Accepted: 05 August 2020
15 October 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Oh HC, Seo DW, Lee TY. et al. New treatment for cystic tumors of the pancreas: EUS-guided ethanol lavage with paclitaxel injection. Gastrointest Endosc 2008; 67: 636-642
- 2 Brugge WR, Lauwers GY, Sahani D. et al. Cystic neoplasms of the pancreas. NEJM 2004; 351: 1218-1226
- 3 Allen PJ, D'Angelica M, Gonen M. et al. A selective approach to the resection of cystic lesions of the pancreas: results from 539 consecutive patients. Ann Surg 2006; 244: 572-582
- 4 Elta GH, Enestvedt BK, Sauer BG. et al. ACG Clinical Guideline: Diagnosis and Management of Pancreatic Cysts. Am J Gastroenterol 2018; 113: 464-479
- 5 Oh HC, Seo DW, Kim SC. et al. Septated cystic tumors of the pancreas: is it possible to treat them by endoscopic ultrasonography-guided intervention?. Scand J Gastroenterol 2009; 44: 242-247
- 6 Barthet M, Giovannini M, Lesavre N. et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided radiofrequency ablation for pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors and pancreatic cystic neoplasms: a prospective multicenter study. Endoscopy 2019; 51: 836-842
- 7 Pai M, Habib N, Senturk H. et al. Endoscopic ultrasound guided radiofrequency ablation, for pancreatic cystic neoplasms and neuroendocrine tumors. World J Gastrointest Surg 2015; 7: 52-59
- 8 Choi JH, Seo DW, Song TJ. et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided radiofrequency ablation for management of benign solid pancreatic tumors. Endoscopy 2018; 50: 1099-1104
- 9 Eisenhauer EA, Therasse P, Bogaerts J. et al. New response evaluation criteria in solid tumours: revised RECIST guideline (version 1.1). Eur J Cancer 2009; 45: 228-247
- 10 Choi JH, Lee SH, Choi YH. et al. Safety of endoscopic ultrasound-guided ethanol ablation for pancreatic cystic lesions: A single-center experience of 214 patients. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 2019; 18: 562-568
- 11 Choi JH, Seo DW, Song TJ. et al. Long-term outcomes after endoscopic ultrasound-guided ablation of pancreatic cysts. Endoscopy 2017; 49: 866-873
- 12 Oh HC, Seo DW, Song TJ. et al. Endoscopic ultrasonography-guided ethanol lavage with paclitaxel injection treats patients with pancreatic cysts. Gastroenterology 2011; 140: 172-179