Subscribe to RSS
Transition Metal Chelation Augments the Half-life of Secnidazole: Molecular Docking and Fluorescence Spectroscopic Approaches
This current research aimed to establish the most required pharmacodynamics parameters of two transition metal complexes of an antimicrobial drug secnidazole. The spectroscopic fluorescence quenching strategy was outlined to evaluate the binding mechanism and binding affinity of nickel (II) and chromium (III) complexes of secnidazole with bovine serum albumin (BSA). The conformational modifications and the interacting patterns of the protein due to the interaction of the parent compound of the metal complexes have been investigated by molecular docking approach. The ligand-protein interactions were confirmed by the spectral quelling of the serum protein’s intensity in the presence of metal chelate of secnidazole. The quenching mechanism was an endothermic dynamic process. The calculated thermodynamic factors delineated van der Waals interactions mainly influenced the spontaneous process. The UV-fluorescence curves were studied to establish the energy transformation profile according to the Förster resonance energy transfer (FRET) theory. The double-logarithm plot exhibited the binding number that ensured the drug-protein interaction was at a 1:1 ratio. The compared binding constants dictated that both metal chelates gained higher binding affinity, longer half-life, and achieved the capacity to show the pharmacological effects by a lower dose than the parent molecule.
Key wordsnickel (II) - chromium (III) - BSA - fluorescence quenching - thermodynamic factors - FRET theory - longer half-life
Received: 16 July 2020
Accepted: 30 August 2020
Article published online:
23 October 2020
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Oliveira APA, Ferreira JFG, Farias LM. et al. Antimicrobial effects of silver (I) and bismuth (III) complexes with secnidazole-derived schiff base ligands: The role of the nitro group reduction. J Braz Chem Soc 2019; 30: 2299-2307
- 2 Wang H, Shi H, Pang J. et al. Studies on the interaction between triptolide and bovine serum albumin (BSA) by spectroscopic and molecular modeling methods. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 2016; 13: 121-129
- 3 Cheng Z, Liu R, Jiang X. Spectroscopic studies on the interaction between tetrandrine and two serum albumins by chemometrics methods. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2013; 115: 92-105
- 4 Shahabadi N, Hadidi S. Molecular modeling and spectroscopic studies on the interaction of the chiral drug venlafaxine hydrochloride with bovine serum albumin. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2014; 122: 100-106
- 5 Sun SF, Zhou B, Hou HN. et al. Studies on the interaction between oxaprozin-E and bovine serum albumin by spectroscopic methods. Int J Biol Macromol 2006; 39: 197-200
- 6 Reshma SKVaishanav, Yadav T. et al. Antidepressant drug-protein interactions studied by spectroscopic methods based on fluorescent carbon quantum dots. Heliyon 2019; 5: e01631 DOI: 10.1016/j.heliyon.2019.e01631.
- 7 Ran D, Wu X, Zheng J. et al. Study on the interaction between florasulam and bovine serum albumin. J Fluoresc 2007; 17: 721-726
- 8 Khan MRH, Rahman A, Sultan MZ. et al. Fluorescence spectroscopic studies of in vitro interactions of famotidine and tapentadol hydrochloride with bovine serum albumin. Dhaka Univ. J Pharm Sci 2016; 15: 21-26
- 9 Wang Y, Chiu JF. Proteomic approaches in understanding action mechanisms of metal-based anticancer drugs. Metal-Based Drugs 2008; Article ID 716329 DOI: 10.1155/2008/716329.
- 10 Hartinger CG, Nazarov AA, Ashraf SM. et al. Carbohydrate-metal complexes and their potential as anticancer agents. Curr Med Chem 2008; 15: 2574-2591
- 11 Hossain ME, Hasan MM, Halim ME. et al. Interaction between transition metals and phenylalanine: A combined experimental and computational study. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2015; 138: 499-508
- 12 Zhang Y, Shi S, Huang K. et al. Effect of Cu2+ and Fe3+ for drug delivery: Decreased binding affinity of ilaprazole to bovine serum albumin. J Luminesc 2011; 131: 1927-1931
- 13 Hossain MJ. Drug-drug and drug-metal complexations: Synthesis, characterization, forced degradation studies and evaluation of biological activities in quest of new therapeutic possibilities. [M. Pharm. Thesis]. University of Dhaka. 2020 doi: 10.13140/RG.2.2.28223.12961.
- 14 Jahanban-esfahlan A, Panahi-azar V. Interaction of glutathione with bovine serum albumin: Spectroscopy and molecular docking. Food Chem 2016; 202: 426-431
- 15 Junaid M, Islam N, Hossain MK. et al. Metal based donepezil analogues designed to inhibit human acetylcholinesterase for Alzheimer’s disease. PLoS one 2019; 14: e0211935 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0211935.
- 16 Aleksić MM, Kapetanović V. An overview of the optical and electrochemical methods for detection of DNA- Drug interactions. Acta Chim Slov 2014; 61: 555-573
- 17 Tanwir A, Jahan R, Quadir MA. et al. Spectroscopic Studies of the interaction between metformin hydrochloride and bovine serum albumin. Dhaka Univ J Pharm Sci 2012; 11: 45-49
- 18 Suryawanshi VD, Walekar LS, Gore AH. et al. Spectroscopic analysis on the binding interaction of biologically active pyrimidine derivative with bovine serum albumin. J Pharm Anal 2016; 6: 56-63
- 19 Amin TU, Islam MR, Sultan MZ. et al. Study of Interaction of dextromethorphan hydrobromide with deoxyribonucleic acid by fluorescence quenching. Bangladesh Pharm J 2016; 19: 197-205
- 20 Joly RA, Islam MR, Sultana S. et al. Interaction of duloxetine hydrochloride with deoxyribonucleic acid measured by fluorescence spectroscopy. Dhaka Univ J Pharm Sci 2015; 14: 199-206
- 21 Tang H, Shi Z, Li N. et al. Investigation on the interactions of scutellarin and scutellarein with bovine serum albumin using spectroscopic and molecular docking techniques. Arch Pharm Res 2015; 38: 1789-1801
- 22 Qiong W, Chaohong L, Yanjun H. et al. Study of caffeine binding to human serum albumin using optical spectroscopic methods. Sci China Ser B Chem 2009; 52: 2205-2212
- 23 Abdelhameed AS. Insight into the interaction between the HIV-1 integrase inhibitor elvitegravir and bovine serum albumin: A spectroscopic study. J Spectrosc 2015; Article ID 435674. DOI: 10.1155/2015/435674..
- 24 Sultana S, Bin Sayeed MS, Ahmed MU. et al. Interaction of nalbuphine hydrochloride with deoxyribonucleic acid measured by fluorescence quenching. Drug Res 2013; 63: 224-227
- 25 Wang C, Wu QH, Wang Z. et al. Study of the interaction of carbamazepine with bovine serum albumin by fluorescence quenching method. Anal Sci 2006; 22: 435-438
- 26 Peng M, Shi S, Zhang Y. The influence of Cd2+ , Hg 2+ and Pb2+ on taxifolin binding to bovine serum albumin by spectroscopic methods: With the viewpoint of toxic ions/drug interference. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2011; 33: 327-333
- 27 Lou YY, Zhou KL, Pan DQ. et al. Spectroscopic and molecular docking approaches for investigating conformation and binding characteristics of clonazepam with bovine serum albumin (BSA). J Photochem Photobiol B Biol 2017; 167: 158-167
- 28 Buddanavar AT, Nandibewoor ST. Multi-spectroscopic characterization of bovine serum albumin upon interaction with atomoxetine. J Pharm Anal 2017; 7: 148-155
- 29 Shi JH, Pan DQ, Jiang M. et al. Binding interaction of ramipril with bovine serum albumin (BSA): Insights from multi-spectroscopy and molecular docking methods. J Photochem Photobiol B Biol 2016; 164: 103-111
- 30 Shi JH, Pan DQ, Wang XX. et al. Characterizing the binding interaction between antimalarial artemether (AMT) and bovine serum albumin (BSA): Spectroscopic and molecular docking methods. J Photochem Photobiol B Biol 2016; 162: 14-23
- 31 Ojha B, Das G. Role of hydrophobic and polar interactions for BSA-amphiphile composites. Chem Phy Lipids 2011; 164: 144-150
- 32 Yang JD, Deng SX, Liu ZF. et al. Fluorescence quenching of serum albumin by rifamycin antibiotics and their analytical application. Luminesc 2007; 22: 559-566
- 33 Zhang L, Liu B, Li Z. et al. Comparative studies on the interaction of cefixime with bovine serum albumin by fluorescence quenching spectroscopy and synchronous fluorescence spectroscopy. Luminesc 2015; 30: 686-692
- 34 Hossain MJ, Sultan MZ, Rashid MA. et al. Does rabeprazole sodium alleviate the anti-diabetic activity of linagliptin? drug-drug interaction analysis by in vitro and in vivo methods. Drug Res 2020; 70. DOI: 10.1055/a-1233-3371.
- 35 Hossain MJ, Sultan MZ, Rashid MA. et al. In vitro interactions of secnidazole and its iron (ii), copper (ii) complexes with bovine serum albumin by fluorescence quenching method. Bangladesh Pharm J 2020; 23: 1-9
- 36 Cao S, Jiang X, Chen J. Effect of Zinc (II) on the interactions of bovine serum albumin with flavonols bearing different number of hydroxyl substituent on B-ring. J Inorg Biochem 2010; 104: 146-152