Subscribe to RSS
Synthesis, Biological Evaluation and Docking Study of New Pyrimidine Compounds as Anticancer AgentsFunding: This research was supported by a grant from Tehran University of Medical Sciences (GN: 9321302002).
Objectives The microtubule is composed of αβ tubulin heterodimers and is an attractive target for the design of anticancer drugs. Over the years, various compounds have been developed and their effect on tubulin polymerization has been studied. Despite a great efforts to make an effective drug, no drug has been introduced which inhibit Colchicine binding site.
Methods In the current work a series of pyrimidine derivatives were designed and synthesized. Furthermore their cytotoxic activities were evaluated and molecular docking studies were performed. Twelve compounds of pyrimidine were synthesized in 3 different groups. In the first group, 4,6-diaryl pyrimidine was connected to the third aryl group via thio-methylene spacer. In the second group, this linker was substituted by sulfoxide-methylene moiety and in the third group sulfone-methylene group was used as spacer.
Results The cytotoxic activity of these compounds were evaluated against 3 different cancerous cell lines (HT-29, MCF-7, T47D) as well as normal cell line (NIH3T3). Compounds in group 2 showed the best cytotoxicity and compound 7d showed the most potent cytotoxic activity against all cell lines. Molecular modelling studies revealed that compound 7d could strongly bind to the colchicine binding site of tubulin.
Conclusion Altogether, with respect to obtained results, it is attractive and beneficial to further investigation on pyrimidine scaffold as antimitotic agents.
Received: 09 August 2020
Accepted: 01 November 2020
Article published online:
07 December 2020
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Regina GL, Bai R, Coluccia A. et al. New pyrrole derivatives with potent tubulin polymerization inhibiting activityas anticancer agents including hedgehog-dependent cancer. J Med Chem 2014; 57: 6531-6552
- 2 Ghasemi M, Ghadbeighi S. Amirhamzeh A Synthesis, Molecular Docking Study, and Cytotoxic Activity of 1,3,5- triarylPyrazole Derivatives. Letters in Drug Des Discov 2016; 13: 121-128
- 3 Assadieskandar A, Amini M, Ostad S. et al. Design, synthesis,cytotoxic evaluation and tubulin inhibitory activity of 4-aryl-5-(3,4,5trimethoxyphenyl)-2-alkylthio-1H-imidazole derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem 2013; 21: 2703-2709
- 4 Saeedian SM, Hamel E, Shahsavari Z. et al. Synthesis and anti-breast cancer activity of novel indibulin related diarylpyrrole derivatives. Daru J Pharm Sci 2019; 27: 179-189
- 5 Lu Y, Chen J, Wang J. et al. Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of stable colchicine binding site tubulin inhibitors as potential anticancer agents. J Med Chem 2014; 57: 7355-7366
- 6 Vosooghi M, Amini M. The discovery and development of cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors as potential anticancer therapies. Expert Opin Drug Discov 2014; 9: 255-267
- 7 Rizzo MT. Cyclooxygenase-2 in oncogenesis. Clin Chim Acta 2011; 412: 671-687
- 8 Kumar B, Sharma P, Gupta VP. et al. Synthesis and biological evaluation of pyrimidine bridged combretastatin derivatives as potential anticancer agents and mechanistic studies. Bioorg Chem 2018; 78: 130-140
- 9 Dansena H, Hj D, Chandrakar K. Pharmacological potentials of pyrimidine derivative: A review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015; 8: 171-177
- 10 Saeedian EM, Saravani F, Ostad SN. et al. Design, synthesis and cytotoxicity evaluation of indibulin analogs. Heterocycl Commun 2018; 24: 211-217
- 11 Zareian B, Ghadbeighi S, Amirhamzeh A. et al. Synthesis, molecular docking study, and cytotoxic activity of 3,4-diaryl-5-(4-pyridinyl)-1,2,4-oxadiazole. Med Chem 2016; 12: 394-401
- 12 Salehi M, Ostad SN, Riazi GH. et al. Synthesis, cytotoxic evaluation, and molecular docking study of 4,5-diaryl-thiazole-2-thione analogs of combretastatin A-4 as microtubule-binding agents. Med Chem Res 2014; 23: 1465-73
- 13 Saravani F, Saeedian EM, Salehabadi H. et al. Synthesis, Anti-proliferative Evaluation, and Molecular Docking Studies of 3-(alkylthio)-5,6-diaryl-1,2,4-triazines as Tubulin Polymerization Inhibitors. Letters Drug Des Discov 2018; 16: 1194-1201
- 14 Ghadbegi S, Ostad SN, Shafiee A. et al. Synthesis and Anticancer Activity of 1,3,5-triaryl-1H-pyrazole. Letters Drug Des Discov 2015; 12: 754-759
- 15 Miralinaghi p, Salimi M, Amirhamzeh A. et al. Synthesis, molecular docking study, and anticancer activity of triaryl-1,2,4-oxadiazole. Med Chem Res 2013; 22: 4253-4262
- 16 Gupta R, Chaudhary RP. Synthesis, antimicrobial and DFT studies of novel fused thiazolopyrimidine derivatives. Hetercycl Commun 2013; 19: 207-214