Subscribe to RSS
Screening for upper gastrointestinal cancers with magnetically controlled capsule gastroscopy: a feasibility studyAnkon LW Fund (2018)
Background The medical consortium is an intensive and disease-specific association that integrates tertiary public hospitals and medical examination centers in China. We aimed to evaluate the feasibility of the medical consortium for screening upper gastrointestinal (GI) cancers (MCSC) by magnetically controlled capsule gastroscopy (MCCG).
Methods 6627 asymptomatic subjects underwent MCCG as part of health check-ups in the MCSC between March and November 2018. Relevant clinical data were collected and analyzed.
Results The MCSC detected 32 patients with upper GI cancer (0.48 %) confirmed by pathology. The detection rate of early gastric cancer was 16.67 % (4 /24). Gastric polyps, ulcers, and submucosal tumors were found in 15.54 %, 3.76 %, and 3.17 % of subjects, respectively. The whole GI preparation and operation process were well tolerated.
Conclusions The MCSC was a feasible model for upper GI cancer screening, especially for asymptomatic subjects. Further prospective studies with better operational quality control are warranted.
* Contributed equally to this work
Received: 02 March 2020
Accepted: 20 November 2020
12 February 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Ching HL, Hale MF, Kurien M. et al. Diagnostic yield of magnetically assisted capsule endoscopy versus gastroscopy in recurrent and refractory iron deficiency anemia. Endoscopy 2019; 51: 409-418
- 2 Rey JF, Ogata H, Hosoe N. et al. Blinded nonrandomized comparative study of gastric examination with a magnetically guided capsule endoscope and standard videoendoscope. Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 75: 373-381
- 3 Zou WB, Hou XH, Xin L. et al. Magnetic-controlled capsule endoscopy vs. gastroscopy for gastric diseases: a two-center self-controlled comparative trial. Endoscopy 2015; 47: 525-528
- 4 Liao Z, Hou X, Lin-Hu EQ. et al. Accuracy of magnetically controlled capsule endoscopy, compared with conventional gastroscopy, in detection of gastric diseases. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016; 14: 1266-1273
- 5 National Center for Digestive Endoscopy Quality Control. Technical specification for medical quality control of magnetic capsule gastroscopy system. Chin J Gastroenterol 2018; 23: 166-168
- 6 Chinese Digestive Endoscopist Committee. Clinical practice consensus for magnetically controlled capsule gastroscopy. Chin J Pract Int Med 2017; 37: 885-894
- 7 Zhao AJ, Qian YY, Sun H. et al. Screening for gastric cancer with magnetically controlled capsule gastroscopy in asymptomatic individuals. Gastrointest Endosc 2018; 88: 466-474
- 8 Yang LZR, Wang N, Yuan YN. et al. Incidence and mortality of stomach cancer in China, 2014. Chin J Cancer Res 2018; 30: 291-298
- 9 Ren W, Yu J, Zhang ZM. et al. Missed diagnosis of early gastric cancer or high-grade intraepithelial neoplasia. World J Gastroenterol 2013; 19: 2092-2096
- 10 Cardey J, Le GC, Michaud L. et al. Screening of esophageal varices in children using esophageal capsule endoscopy: a multicenter prospective study. Endoscopy 2019; 51: 10-17
- 11 Sacher HS, Calès P, Bureau C. et al. Screening of esophageal varices by esophageal capsule endoscopy: results of a French multicenter prospective study. Endoscopy 2015; 47: 486-492
- 12 Sharma P, Wani S, Rastogi A. et al. The diagnostic accuracy of esophageal capsule endoscopy in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease and Barrett's esophagus: a blinded, prospective study. Am J Gastroenterol 2008; 103: 525-532
- 13 Beg S, Card T, Warburton S. et al. Diagnosis of Barrett's esophagus and esophageal varices using a magnetically assisted capsule endoscopy system. Gastrointest Endosc 2020; 91: 773-781
- 14 Chen YZ, Pan J, Luo YY. et al. Detachable string magnetically controlled capsule endoscopy for complete viewing of the esophagus and stomach. Endoscopy 2019; 51: 360-364
- 15 Cai Q, Zhu C, Yuan Y. et al. Development and validation of a prediction rule for estimating gastric cancer risk in the Chinese high-risk population: a nationwide multicentre study. Gut 2019; 68: 1576-1587