Subscribe to RSS
Optical diagnosis of colorectal polyp images using a newly developed computer-aided diagnosis system (CADx) compared with intuitive optical diagnosisTrial Registration: ClinicalTrials.gov (http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/)Registration number (trial ID): NCT04349787 Type of study: Prospective, non-interventional study
Background Optical diagnosis of colorectal polyps remains challenging. Image-enhancement techniques such as narrow-band imaging and blue-light imaging (BLI) can improve optical diagnosis. We developed and prospectively validated a computer-aided diagnosis system (CADx) using high-definition white-light (HDWL) and BLI images, and compared the system with the optical diagnosis of expert and novice endoscopists.
Methods CADx characterized colorectal polyps by exploiting artificial neural networks. Six experts and 13 novices optically diagnosed 60 colorectal polyps based on intuition. After 4 weeks, the same set of images was permuted and optically diagnosed using the BLI Adenoma Serrated International Classification (BASIC).
Results CADx had a diagnostic accuracy of 88.3 % using HDWL images and 86.7 % using BLI images. The overall diagnostic accuracy combining HDWL and BLI (multimodal imaging) was 95.0 %, which was significantly higher than that of experts (81.7 %, P = 0.03) and novices (66.7 %, P < 0.001). Sensitivity was also higher for CADx (95.6 % vs. 61.1 % and 55.4 %), whereas specificity was higher for experts compared with CADx and novices (95.6 % vs. 93.3 % and 93.2 %). For endoscopists, diagnostic accuracy did not increase when using BASIC, either for experts (intuition 79.5 % vs. BASIC 81.7 %, P = 0.14) or for novices (intuition 66.7 % vs. BASIC 66.5 %, P = 0.95).
Conclusion CADx had a significantly higher diagnostic accuracy than experts and novices for the optical diagnosis of colorectal polyps. Multimodal imaging, incorporating both HDWL and BLI, improved the diagnostic accuracy of CADx. BASIC did not increase the diagnostic accuracy of endoscopists compared with intuitive optical diagnosis.
* These authors contributed equally to this manuscript.
Received: 10 June 2020
Accepted after revision: 23 December 2020
23 December 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Abu Dayyeh BK, Thosani N, Konda V. et al. ASGE Technology Committee systematic review and meta-analysis assessing the ASGE PIVI thresholds for adopting real-time endoscopic assessment of the histology of diminutive colorectal polyps. Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 81: 502.e01-502.e16
- 2 Rex DK, Kahi C, O’Brien M. et al. The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy PIVI (Preservation and Incorporation of Valuable Endoscopic Innovations) on real-time endoscopic assessment of the histology of diminutive colorectal polyps. Gastrointest Endosc 2011; 73: 419-422
- 3 Vleugels JLA, Dijkgraaf MGW, Hazewinkel Y. et al. Effects of training and feedback on accuracy of predicting rectosigmoid neoplastic lesions and selection of surveillance intervals by endoscopists performing optical diagnosis of diminutive polyps. Gastroenterology 2018; 154: 1682-1693
- 4 Ladabaum U, Fioritto A, Mitani A. et al. Real-time optical biopsy of colon polyps with narrow band imaging in community practice does not yet meet key thresholds for clinical decisions. Gastroenterology 2013; 144: 81-91
- 5 van de Wetering AJP, Meulen LWT, Bogie RMM. et al. Optical diagnosis of diminutive polyps in the Dutch Bowel Cancer Screening Program: are we ready to start?. Endosc Int Open 2020; 8: E257-e265
- 6 Yoshida N, Yagi N, Inada Y. et al. Ability of a novel blue laser imaging system for the diagnosis of colorectal polyps. Dig Endosc 2014; 26: 250-258
- 7 Djinbachian R, Dube AJ, von Renteln D. Optical diagnosis of colorectal polyps: recent developments. Curr Treat Options Gastroenterol 2019; 17: 99-114
- 8 Bisschops R, Hassan C, Bhandari P. et al. BASIC (BLI Adenoma Serrated International Classification) classification for colorectal polyp characterization with blue light imaging. Endoscopy 2018; 50: 211-220
- 9 Nakano A, Hirooka Y, Yamamura T. et al. Comparison of the diagnostic ability of blue laser imaging magnification versus pit pattern analysis for colorectal polyps. Endosc Int Open 2017; 5: E224-e231
- 10 Rondonotti E, Paggi S, Amato A. et al. Blue-light imaging compared with high-definition white light for real-time histology prediction of colorectal polyps less than 1 centimeter: a prospective randomized study. Gastrointest Endosc 2019; 89: 554-564
- 11 Subramaniam S, Hayee B, Aepli P. et al. Optical diagnosis of colorectal polyps with blue light imaging using a new international classification. United European Gastroenterol J 2019; 7: 316-325
- 12 Kominami Y, Yoshida S, Tanaka S. et al. Computer-aided diagnosis of colorectal polyp histology by using a real-time image recognition system and narrow-band imaging magnifying colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 83: 643-649
- 13 Byrne MF, Chapados N, Soudan F. et al. Real-time differentiation of adenomatous and hyperplastic diminutive colorectal polyps during analysis of unaltered videos of standard colonoscopy using a deep learning model. Gut 2019; 68: 94-100
- 14 Misawa M, Kudo SE, Mori Y. et al. Characterization of colorectal lesions using a computer-aided diagnostic system for narrow-band imaging endocytoscopy. Gastroenterology 2016; 150: 1531-1532
- 15 Chen PJ, Lin MC, Lai MJ. et al. Accurate classification of diminutive colorectal polyps using computer-aided analysis. Gastroenterology 2018; 154: 568-575
- 16 Erickson-Bhatt SJ, Boppart SA. Biophotonics for assessing breast cancer. In: Meglinski I. , ed. Biophotonics for medical applications. Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing; 2015: 175-214
- 17 World Medical Association. World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki: ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects. JAMA 2013; 310: 2191-2194
- 18 European Parliament, Council of the European Union. Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation). Official Journal of the European Union 2016; L119: 1-88
- 19 Leggett B, Whitehall V. Role of the serrated pathway in colorectal cancer pathogenesis. Gastroenterology 2010; 138: 2088-2100
- 20 Schlemper RJ, Riddell RH, Kato Y. et al. The Vienna classification of gastrointestinal epithelial neoplasia. Gut 2000; 47: 251-255
- 21 Foss FA, West KP, McGregor AH. Pathology of polyps detected in the bowel cancer screening programme. Diagn Histopathol 2011; 17: 495-504
- 22 Selvaraju RR, Cogswell M, Das A. et al. Grad-CAM: Visual explanations from deep networks via gradient-based localization. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV); 2017 Oct 22–29; Venice, Italy. 2017: 618-626
- 23 Tan M, Le Q. EfficientNet: rethinking model scaling for convolutional neural networks. Proceedings of the 36th International Conference on Machine Learning; 2019. Proceedings of Machine Learning Research PMLR 2019; 97: 6105-6114
- 24 Van den Brink N, Holbrechts B, Brand PLP. et al. Role of intuitive knowledge in the diagnostic reasoning of hospital specialists: a focus group study. BMJ Open 2019; 9: e022724
- 25 Subramaniam S, Hayee B, Aepli P. et al. Optical diagnosis of colorectal polyps with blue light imaging using a new international classification. United European Gastroenterol J 2019; 7: 316-325
- 26 Altman DG. Practical statistics for medical research. New York: Chapman & Hall/CRC Press; 1999
- 27 IJspeert JEG, Bastiaansen BA, van Leerdam ME. et al. Development and validation of the WASP classification system for optical diagnosis of adenomas, hyperplastic polyps and sessile serrated adenomas/polyps. Gut 2016; 65: 963-970
- 28 Rosner B. Fundamentals of biostatistics. Mason, OH, United States: Cengage Learning, Inc; 2015
- 29 McCarthy WF. Assessment of sample size and power for the analysis of clustered matched-pair data. COBRA Preprint Series. 2007: 28
- 30 Min M, Su S, He W. et al. Computer-aided diagnosis of colorectal polyps using linked color imaging colonoscopy to predict histology. Sci Rep 2019; 9: 2881
- 31 Song EM, Park B, Ha CA. et al. Endoscopic diagnosis and treatment planning for colorectal polyps using a deep-learning model. Sci Rep 2020; 10: 30
- 32 Bisschops R, East JE, Hassan C. et al. Advanced imaging for detection and differentiation of colorectal neoplasia: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Guideline – Update 2019. Endoscopy 2019; 51: 1155-1179
- 33 Hassan C, Bisschops R, Bhandari P. et al. Predictive rules for optical diagnosis of <10-mm colorectal polyps based on a dedicated software. Endoscopy 2020; 52: 52-60