Subscribe to RSS
Endoscopic ultrasound-guided gastroenterostomy versus duodenal stenting for malignant gastric outlet obstruction: an international, multicenter, propensity score-matched comparison
Background Endoscopic duodenal stenting is the current standard treatment for malignant gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) in patients with limited life expectancy. However, duodenal stenting is prone to stent dysfunction. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided gastroenterostomy (EUS-GE) is a novel technique with potentially superior stent patency. We compared clinical success, safety, and stent dysfunction of EUS-GE and duodenal stenting in patients with malignant GOO using propensity score matching.
Methods This international, multicenter, retrospective study analyzed consecutive patients undergoing EUS-GE or duodenal stenting for GOO between 2015 and 2021 in three European centers. Primary outcomes were clinical success (GOO scoring system [GOOSS] ≥ 2) and stent dysfunction (GOOSS ≤ 1 after initial clinical success). A propensity score matching (1:1) analysis was performed using age, sex, underlying disease, disease stage, ascites, and peritoneal carcinomatosis as variables.
Results 214 patients underwent EUS-GE (n = 107) or duodenal stenting (n = 107). After propensity score matching, 176 patients were matched and compared. Technical success rates for EUS-GE and duodenal stenting were 94 % (95 %CI 89 %–99 %) vs. 98 % (95 %CI 95 %–100 %), respectively (P = 0.44). Clinical success rates were 91 % (95 %CI 85 %–97 %) vs. 75 % (95 %CI 66 %–84 %; P = 0.008). Stent dysfunction occurred in 1 % (95 %CI 0–4 %) vs. 26 % (95 %CI 15 %–37 %) of patients (P < 0.001). Adverse event rate was 10 % (95 %CI 4 %–17 %) vs. 21 % (95 %CI 12 %–29 %; P = 0.09).
Conclusion EUS-GE had higher clinical success and lower stent dysfunction, with similar safety, compared with duodenal stenting, suggesting that EUS-GE may be preferred over duodenal stenting in patients with malignant GOO.
Received: 17 October 2021
Accepted: 01 February 2022
Article published online:
24 March 2022
© 2022. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Tendler DA. Malignant gastric outlet obstruction: bridging another divide. Am J Gastroenterol 2002; 97: 4-6
- 2 Zu H, Wang H, Li C. et al. The predictive and prognostic factors in patients with gastric cancer accompanied by gastric outlet obstruction. Gastroenterol Res Pract 2020; 2020: 6529563
- 3 Fiori E, Lamazza A, Volpino P. et al. Palliative management of malignant antro-pyloric strictures. Gastroenterostomy vs. endoscopic stenting. A randomized prospective trial. Anticancer Res 2004; 24: 269-271
- 4 Jeurnink SM, Steyerberg EW, van Hooft JE. et al. Surgical gastrojejunostomy or endoscopic stent placement for the palliation of malignant gastric outlet obstruction (SUSTENT study): a multicenter randomized trial. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 71: 490-499
- 5 Mehta S, Hindmarsh A, Cheong E. et al. Prospective randomized trial of laparoscopic gastrojejunostomy versus duodenal stenting for malignant gastric outflow obstruction. Surg Endosc 2006; 20: 239-242
- 6 Ahmed O, Lee JH, Thompson CC. et al. AGA Clinical practice update on the optimal management of the malignant alimentary tract obstruction: expert review. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2021; 19: 1780-1788
- 7 Ahmed O, Lee JH, Thompson CC. et al. AGA Clinical Practice Update on the Optimal Management of the Malignant Alimentary Tract Obstruction: Expert Review. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2021; 19: 1780-1788
- 8 van Halsema EE, Rauws EA, Fockens P. et al. Self-expandable metal stents for malignant gastric outlet obstruction: a pooled analysis of prospective literature. World J Gastroenterol 2015; 21: 12468-12481
- 9 Bronswijk M, Vanella G, van Malenstein H. et al. Laparoscopic versus EUS-guided gastroenterostomy for gastric outlet obstruction: an international multicenter propensity score-matched comparison (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2021; 94: 526-536
- 10 Khashab MA, Bukhari M, Baron TH. et al. International multicenter comparative trial of endoscopic ultrasonography-guided gastroenterostomy versus surgical gastrojejunostomy for the treatment of malignant gastric outlet obstruction. Endosc Int Open 2017; 5: E275-E281
- 11 Perez-Miranda M, Tyberg A, Poletto D. et al. EUS-guided gastrojejunostomy versus laparoscopic gastrojejunostomy: an international collaborative study. J Clin Gastroenterol 2017; 51: 896-899
- 12 Kouanda A, Binmoeller K, Hamerski C. et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided gastroenterostomy versus open surgical gastrojejunostomy: clinical outcomes and cost effectiveness analysis. Surg Endosc 2021; 35: 7058-7067
- 13 Chen YI, Itoi T, Baron TH. et al. EUS-guided gastroenterostomy is comparable to enteral stenting with fewer re-interventions in malignant gastric outlet obstruction. Surg Endosc 2017; 31: 2946-2952
- 14 Ge PS, Young JY, Dong W. et al. EUS-guided gastroenterostomy versus enteral stent placement for palliation of malignant gastric outlet obstruction. Surg Endosc 2019; 33: 3404-3411
- 15 Adler DG, Baron TH. Endoscopic palliation of malignant gastric outlet obstruction using self-expanding metal stents: experience in 36 patients. Am J Gastroenterol 2002; 97: 72-78
- 16 Cotton PB, Eisen GM, Aabakken L. et al. A lexicon for endoscopic adverse events: report of an ASGE workshop. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 71: 446-454
- 17 Bronswijk M, van Malenstein H, Laleman W. et al. EUS-guided gastroenterostomy: less is more! The wireless EUS-guided gastroenterostomy simplified technique. VideoGIE 2020; 5: 442
- 18 Hori Y, Naitoh I, Hayashi K. et al. Predictors of stent dysfunction after self-expandable metal stent placement for malignant gastric outlet obstruction: tumor ingrowth in uncovered stents and migration of covered stents. Surg Endosc 2017; 31: 4165-4173
- 19 Suder-Castro LS, Ramirez-Solis ME, Hernandez-Guerrero AI. et al. Predictors of self-expanding metallic stent dysfunction in malignant gastric outlet obstruction. Rev Gastroenterol Mex (Engl Ed) 2020; 85: 275-281
- 20 Wannhoff A, Ruh N, Meier B. et al. Endoscopic gastrointestinal anastomoses with lumen-apposing metal stents: predictors of technical success. Surg Endosc 2021; 35: 1997-2004
- 21 Chandan S, Khan SR, Mohan BP. et al. EUS-guided gastroenterostomy versus enteral stenting for gastric outlet obstruction: systematic review and meta-analysis. Endosc Int Open 2021; 9: E496-E504
- 22 Bejjani M, Ghandour B, Subtil JC. et al. Clinical and technical outcomes of patients undergoing endoscopic ultrasound-guided gastroenterostomy using 20-mm vs. 15-mm lumen-apposing metal stents. Endoscopy 2021; DOI: 10.1055/a-1654-6914.
- 23 Costamagna G, Tringali A, Spicak J. et al. Treatment of malignant gastroduodenal obstruction with a nitinol self-expanding metal stent: an international prospective multicentre registry. Dig Liver Dis 2012; 44: 37-43
- 24 Lee KM, Choi SJ, Shin SJ. et al. Palliative treatment of malignant gastroduodenal obstruction with metallic stent: prospective comparison of covered and uncovered stents. Scand J Gastroenterol 2009; 44: 846-852
- 25 Tringali A, Didden P, Repici A. et al. Endoscopic treatment of malignant gastric and duodenal strictures: a prospective, multicenter study. Gastrointest Endosc 2014; 79: 66-75
- 26 Pan YM, Pan J, Guo LK. et al. Covered versus uncovered self-expandable metallic stents for palliation of malignant gastric outlet obstruction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Gastroenterol 2014; 14: 170
- 27 Maetani I, Ukita T, Tada T. et al. Metallic stents for gastric outlet obstruction: reintervention rate is lower with uncovered versus covered stents, despite similar outcomes. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 69: 806-812
- 28 van Hooft JE, Uitdehaag MJ, Bruno MJ. et al. Efficacy and safety of the new WallFlex enteral stent in palliative treatment of malignant gastric outlet obstruction (DUOFLEX study): a prospective multicenter study. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 69: 1059-1066
- 29 Kastelijn JB, Moons LMG, Garcia-Alonso FJ. et al. Patency of endoscopic ultrasound-guided gastroenterostomy in the treatment of malignant gastric outlet obstruction. Endosc Int Open 2020; 8: E1194-E1201
- 30 Jovani M, Ichkhanian Y, Parsa N. et al. Assessment of the learning curve for EUS-guided gastroenterostomy for a single operator. Gastrointest Endosc 2021; 93: 1088-1093
- 31 van der Merwe SW, van Wanrooij RLJ, Bronswijk M. et al. Therapeutic endoscopic ultrasound: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Guideline. Endoscopy 2022; 54: 185-205