Subscribe to RSS
© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York
Endoscopic flexible treatment of Zenker's diverticulum: a modification of the needle-knife technique
submitted 12 December 2009
accepted after revision 25 January 2010
30 June 2010 (online)
Background and study aim: Endoscopic treatment of Zenker's diverticulum has been successfully reported over the last 10 years using different approaches. The hook-knife is a new device originally developed for endoscopic submucosal dissection procedures. This study aimed to investigate the safety and efficacy of endoscopic myotomy performed with the hook-knife.
Patients and method: From July 2005, 32 consecutive patients (23-male, mean age 74.8 years) with dysphagia secondary to the presence of Zenker's diverticulum were prospectively enrolled. Myotomy was performed using a straight-end transparent hood to the tip of the scope and the hook-knife for the incision of the bridge between the Zenker's diverticulum and the esophagus. Clinical outcome was evaluated assigning a dysphagia symptom score from 0 (symptoms absent) to 4 (inability to swallow saliva).
Results: General anesthesia was used in 4 patients, deep sedation with propofol in 23 patients, while midazolam was used in 5 patients. The mean procedural time was 28 minutes. Complications occurred in 2 patients (6.25 %). At 1 month follow-up, the mean dysphagia score was significantly improved from 2.9 to 0.6 (P < 0.001) with 87.5 % of patients free of symptoms and 4 patients with dysphagia that was persistent but milder than before the treatment. Three of these 4 patients underwent a successful second endoscopic treatment with complete relief of dysphagia; one was not re-treated because of advanced age (92 years). During the follow-up period (23.87 ± 9.6 months), 2 patients developed dysphagia recurrence. The overall success rate was 90.6 %.
Conclusions: Diverticulectomy with a flexible scope and the hook-knife may represent a safe and effective alternative treatment for patients with Zenker's diverticulum.
- 1 Peters J, Mason R. The physiopathological basis for Zenker's diverticulum. Chirurg. 1999; 70 741-746
- 2 Watemberg S, Landau O, Avrahami R. Zenker's diverticulum: reappraisal. Am J Gastroenterol. 1996; 91 1494-1498
- 3 Lerut T, Van Raemdonck D, Guelinckx P. et al . Pharyngo-oesophageal diverticulum (Zenker's): clinical, therapeutic and morphological aspects. Acta Gastro-Enterol Belg. 1990; 63 330-337
- 4 Mattinger C, Hörmann K. Endoscopic diverticulotomy of Zenker's diverticulum: management and complications. Dysphagia. 2002; 17 34-39
- 5 Mulder C JJ, den Hartog G, Robijn R J. et al . Flexible endoscopic treatment of Zenker's diverticulum: a new approach. Endoscopy. 1995; 27 438-442
- 6 Ishioka S, Sakai P, Maluf Filho F. et al . Endoscopic incision of Zenker's diverticula. Endoscopy. 1995; 27 433-437
- 7 Evrard S, Le Moine O, Hassid S. et al . Zenker's diverticulum: a new endoscopic treatment with a soft diverticuloscope. Gastrointest Endosc. 2003; 58 116-120
- 8 Sakai P, Ishioka S, Maluf-Filho F. et al . Endoscopic treatment of Zenker's diverticulum with an oblique-end hood attached to the endoscope. Gastrointest Endosc. 2001; 54 760-763
- 9 Hashiba K, de Paula A L, da Silva J GN. et al . Endoscopic treatment of Zenker's diverticulum. Gastrointest Endosc. 1999; 49 93-97
- 10 Rabenstein T, May A, Michel J. et al . Argon plasma coagulation for flexible endoscopic Zenker's diverticulotomy. Endoscopy. 2007; 39 141-145
- 11 Vogelsang A, Preiss C, Neuhaus H. et al . Endotherapy of Zenker's diverticulum using the needle-knife technique: long-term follow-up. Endoscopy. 2007; 39 131-136
- 12 Christiaens P, De Roock W, Van Olmen A. et al . Treatment of Zenker's diverticulum through a flexible endoscope with a transparent oblique-end hood attached to the tip and a monopolar forceps. Endoscopy. 2007; 39 137-140
- 13 Costamagna G, Iacopini F, Tringali A. et al . Flexible endoscopic Zenker's diverticulotomy: cap-assisted technique vs. diverticuloscope-assisted technique. Endoscopy. 2007; 39 146-152
- 14 Chang C Y, Payyapilli R J, Scher R L. Endoscopic staple diverticulostomy for Zenker's diverticulum: review of literature and experience in 159 consecutive cases. Laryngoscope. 2003; 113 957-965
- 15 Mulder C JJ. Zapping Zenker's diverticulum: gastroscopic treatment. Can J Gastroenterol. 1999; 13 405-407
- 16 Ferreira L EVVC, Simmons D T, Baron T H. Zenker's diverticula: pathophysiology, clinical presentation, and flexible endoscopic management. Dis Esophagus. 2008; 21 1-8
A. Repici, , MD
Digestive Endoscopy Unit
Istituto Clinico Humanitas
Via Manzoni 56
20089 Rozzano (Milano)
Email: [email protected]