Subscribe to RSS
Preoperative routine evaluation of bilateral adrenal glands by endoscopic ultrasound and fine-needle aspiration in patients with potentially resectable lung cancer
submitted 14 June 2012
accepted after revision 24 October 2012
08 January 2013 (online)
Background and study aims: The aim of the current study was to assess the detection rate of the right adrenal gland and the diagnostic ability of endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) and fine-needle aspiration (FNA) for the diagnosis of adrenal metastasis in potentially resectable lung cancer.
Patients and methods: This retrospective cohort study included a consecutive series of 150 patients undergoing EUS/EUS – FNA for staging of lung cancer. The detection rate of the right adrenal gland by EUS and the diagnostic accuracies of computed tomography (CT), positron emission tomography-CT (PET-CT), and EUS/EUS – FNA for the diagnosis of adrenal metastasis were evaluated.
Results: The right adrenal gland was visualized by EUS in 131 patients (87.3 %); the left adrenal gland was visualized in all patients. Findings suggestive of metastasis in either one of the adrenal glands or in both were observed in 6 patients (4.0 %) by CT, in 5 patients (3.3 %) by PET-CT, and in 11 patients (7.3 %) by EUS. EUS – FNA was performed simultaneously in the 11 patients, and in 4 patients the diagnosis of metastasis was established. The accuracy for the diagnosis of adrenal metastasis was 100 % for EUS/EUS – FNA, 96.0 % for CT, and 97.0 % for PET-CT (P = 0.1146).
Conclusions: As well as the left adrenal gland, the right adrenal gland was also usually visible by EUS. EUS/EUS – FNA provided an accurate diagnosis of adrenal metastasis, although the prevalence of adrenal metastasis was relatively low in these patients with potentially resectable lung cancer.
* S. Uemura and I. Yasuda contributed equally to this article.
- 1 Chapman GS, Kumar D, Redmond J et al. Upper abdominal computerized tomography scanning in staging non-small cell lung carcinoma. Cancer 1984; 54: 1541-1543
- 2 Ettinghausen SE, Burt ME. Prospective evaluation of unilateral adrenal masses in patients with operable non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 1991; 9: 1462-1466
- 3 Quint LE. Staging non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Imaging 2007; 7: 148-159
- 4 Yasuda I, Kato T, Asano F et al. Mediastinal lymph node staging in potentially resectable non-small cell lung cancer: a prospective comparison of CT and EUS/EUS–FNA. Respiration 2009; 78: 423-431
- 5 Ohnishi R, Yasuda I, Kato T et al. Combined endobronchial and endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration for mediastinal nodal staging of lung cancer. Endoscopy 2011; 43: 1082-1089
- 6 Chang KJ, Erickson RA, Nguyen P. Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) and EUS-guided fine-needle aspiration of the left adrenal gland. Gastrointest Endosc 1996; 44: 568-572
- 7 Jhala NC, Jhala D, Eloubeidi MA et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the adrenal glands: analysis of 24 patients. Cancer 2004; 102: 308-314
- 8 Ringbaek TJ, Krasnik M, Clementsen P et al. Transesophageal endoscopic ultrasound/fine-needle aspiration diagnosis of a malignant adrenal gland in a patient with non-small cell lung cancer and a negative CT scan. Lung Cancer 2005; 48: 247-249
- 9 Eloubeidi MA, Seewald S, Tamhane A et al. EUS-guided FNA of the left adrenal gland in patients with thoracic or GI malignancies. Gastrointest Endosc 2004; 59: 627-633
- 10 Bodtger U, Vilmann P, Clementsen P et al. Clinical impact of endoscopic ultrasound-fine needle aspiration of left adrenal masses in established or suspected lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol 2009; 4: 1485-1489
- 11 Schuurbiers OC, Tournoy KG, Schoppers HJ et al. EUS-FNA for the detection of left adrenal metastasis in patients with lung cancer. Lung Cancer 2011; 73: 310-315
- 12 DeWitt J, Alsatie M, LeBlanc J et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of left adrenal gland masses. Endoscopy 2007; 39: 65-71
- 13 Ang TL, Chua TS, Fock KM et al. EUS-FNA of the left adrenal gland is safe and useful. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2007; 36: 954-957
- 14 DeWitt JM. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of right adrenal masses: report of 2 cases. J Ultrasound Med 2008; 27: 261-267
- 15 Eloubeidi MA, Luz LP, Crowe DR et al. Bilateral adrenal gland enlargement secondary to histoplasmosis mimicking adrenal metastases: diagnosis with EUS-guided FNA. Diagn Cytopathol 2010; 38: 357-359
- 16 Eloubeidi MA, Black KR, Tamhane A et al. A large single-center experience of EUS-guided FNA of the left and right adrenal glands: diagnostic utility and impact on patient management. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 71: 745-753
- 17 Eloubeidi MA, Beydoun M, Jurdi N et al. Transduodenal EUS-guided FNA of the right adrenal gland to diagnose lung cancer where percutaneous approach was not possible. J Med Liban 2011; 59: 173-175
- 18 Eloubeidi MA, Morgan DE, Cerfolio RJ et al. Transduodenal EUS-guided FNA of the right adrenal gland. Gastrointest Endosc 2008; 67: 522-527
- 19 Brady MJ, Thomas J, Wong TZ et al. Adrenal nodules at FDG PET/CT in patients known to have or suspected of having lung cancer: a proposal for an efficient diagnostic algorithm. Radiology 2009; 250: 523-530
- 20 American Society of Anesthesiologists. ASA Physical Status Classification System. retrieved from the American Society of Anesthesiologists Web site: Available http://www.asahq.org/clinical/physicalstatus.htm
- 21 McNicholas MM, Lee MJ, Mayo-Smith WW et al. An imaging algorithm for the differential diagnosis of adrenal adenomas and metastases. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1995; 165: 1453-1459
- 22 Yasuda I, Goto N, Tsurumi H et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy for diagnosis of lymphoproliferative disorders: feasibility of immunohistological, flow cytometric, and cytogenetic assessments. Am J Gastroenterol 2012; 107: 397-404
- 23 Dietrich CF, Wehrmann T, Hoffmann C et al. Detection of the adrenal glands by endoscopic or transabdominal ultrasound. Endoscopy 1997; 29: 859-864
- 24 Stelow EB, Debol SM, Stanley MW et al. Sampling of the adrenal glands by endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration. Diagn Cytopathol 2005; 33: 26-30
- 25 Kramer H, Groen HJ. Diagnosis of mediastinal and left adrenal abnormalities with endoscopic ultrasonography. Respir Med 2005; 99: 926-928