Pharmacokinetics of Ginkgolide B Injection in Beagle Dogs
received 23 February 2012
accepted 18 September 2012
23 October 2012 (eFirst)
A liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry method was developed, validated, and applied to the pharmacokinetic study with doses of 0.68, 2.73 and 10.92 mg/kg of ginkgolide B in beagle dogs after intravenous infusion.
An aliquot of blood samples were collected, separated and quantitatively analyzed by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry method with mobile phase of acetonitrile-0.02% ammonia solution (33:67, v/v) at a flow rate of 0.8 mL/min on the UltimateTM XB-C18 column (5 μm, 4.6×150 mm).
The method was sensitive, accurate and convenient, and can be used for the determination of ginkgolide B in beagle dogs. The Cmax and AUC0-∞ of GB increased with dose escalation, but ANOVA analyses showed that no significant difference was observed in other pharmacokinetic parameters between different doses.
An LC/MS method was developed with good sensitivity, reproducibility and specificity. In the pharmacokinetic study of GB in beagle dogs, linear pharmacokinetics was found at doses from 0.62 to 10.92 mg/kg after a single-dose intravenous infusion. Gender differences were not observed in the pharmacokinetics of GB.
- 1 Dennis JM, Kenneth J, Keny H. Efficacy, safety and use of Ginkgo biloba in clinical and preclinical applications. Altern Ther 2001; 7: 70-90
- 2 Huh H, Staba EJ. The botany and chemistry of Ginkgo biloba. J Herbs Spices Med Plants 1992; 1: 91-124
- 3 Kressmann S, Muller WE, Blume HH et al. Psharmaceutical quality of different Ginkgo biloba brands. J Pharm Pharmacol 2002; 54: 661-669
- 4 Maitra I, Marcocci L, Droy-Lefaix MT et al. Peroxyl radical scavenging activity of Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761. J Biochemica Pharmacology 1995; 49: 1649-1655
- 5 Di Renzo G. Ginkgo biloba and the central nervous System. J Fitoterapia 2000; 71: 43-47
- 6 Karyn M, Cynehia L, Paul F et al. The CNS effects of Ginkgo biloba extracts and ginkgolide B. Progress in Neurobiology 2002; 67: 235-257
- 7 Yang FY, Wang JT, Jing YY. Determination of ginkgolides in blood and study on their pharmacokinetics in rabbita. Chin Pharm J 2000; 35: 541-543
- 8 Lv H, Wang GJ, Li H et al. Sensitive and selective liquid Chromatography-electrospray ionization mass spectrometry analysis of ginkgolide B in dog plasma. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2006; 40: 88-94
- 9 Yang FY, Wang JT, Zhao ZG et al. Study on the pharmacokinetics of ginkgolides in 10 volunteer. Chin Pharm J 2001; 36: 616-618
- 10 Chen WD, Liang Y, Xie L et al. Pharmacokintics of the Ginkgo B following Intravenous Administration of Ginkgo B Emulsion in Rats. J Biol Pharm Bull 2007; 30: 1-5
- 11 Ge YY, Ren WC, Chen XJ et al. LC -MS determination of ginkgolide B in rat plasma. Chin J Pharm Anal 2009; 29: 48-52
- 12 XU SHY, Bian RL, Chen X et al. Methodology of pharmacological experiment. Beijing: People’s medical publishing house; 2002: 202-203