LC-MS/MS Method for Determination of Epothilone B in Rat Plasma and its Application in Pharmacokinetic Study
received 04 September 2012
accepted 03 October 2012
23 October 2012 (eFirst)
A simple LC-MS/MS method was developed for determination and pharmacokinetic study of Epothilone B in rat plasma.
Plasma sample pretreatment involved a one-step liquid-liquid extraction of 100 µL plasma. The chromatographic separation was carried out on a Agilent Zobax SB C18 column with a mobile phase consisting of 10 mmol/L ammonium acetate-acetonitrile (35:65, v/v) at a flow rate of 0.2 mL/min. The detection was performed on a triple quadrupole tandem mass spectrometer by SRM via electro spray ionization source with positive mode.
The standard curve for Epothilone B was linear over the concentration range of 1–100 ng/mL with a lower limit of quantification of 0.5 ng/mL. The intra- and inter-day precision (relative standard deviation) values were not higher than 15% and the accuracy (relative error) was < 10% at 3 quality control levels. Pharmacokinetic parameters were as follows: t1/2, 3.56 (1.12) h; AUC0–24 h, 295.7 (65.3) ng · h/mL and AUC0-∞, 339.2 (87.4) ng · h/mL, CL, 5.77 (0.67) mL/h; MRT, 7.55 (2.41) h, respectively.
This simple, fast and highly sensitive method was fully validated and successfully applied to a preclinical pharmacokinetic study of Epothilone B in rats after i. v. administration.
- 1 Buey RM, Díaz JF, Andreu JM et al. Interaction of epothilone analogs with the paclitaxel binding site: relationship between binding affinity, microtubule stabilization, and cytotoxicity. Chemistry Biology 2004; 11: 225-236
- 2 Chou TC, Zhang XG, Balog A et al. Desoxyepothilone B: an efficacious microtubule-targeted antitumor agent with a promising in vivo profile relative to epothilone B. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 1998; 95: 9642-9647
- 3 Lee FY, Borzilleri R, Fairchild CR et al. BMS-247550: a novel epothilone analog with a mode of action similar to paclitaxel but possessing superior antitumor efficacy. Clinical Cancer Research 2001; 7: 1429-1437
- 4 Lee JJ, Swain SM. The epothilones: translating from the laboratory to the clinic. Clinical Cancer Research 2008; 14: 1618-1624
- 5 Lee JJ, Kelly WK. Epothilones: tubulin polymerization as a novel target for prostate cancer therapy. Nature Clinical Practice Oncology 2009; 6: 85-92
- 6 Lin B, Catley L, LeBlanc R et al. Patupilone (epothilone B) inhibits growth and survival of multiple myeloma cells in vitro and in vivo. Blood 2005; 105: 350-357
- 7 O’Reilly T, McSheehy PM, Wenger F et al. Patupilone (epothilone B, EPO906) inhibits growth and metastasis of experimental prostate tumors in vivo. Prostate 2005; 65: 231-240
- 8 Rubin EH, Rothermel J, Tesfaye F et al. Phase I dose-finding study of weekly single-agent patupilone in patients with advanced solid tumors. Journal Clinical Oncology 2005; 23: 9120-9129
- 9 Bollag DM, McQueney PA, Zhu J et al. Epothilones, a new class of microtubule-stabilizing agents with a taxol-like mechanism of action. Cancer Research 1995; 55: 2325-2333
- 10 Kowalski RJ, Giannakakou P, Hamel E. Activities of the microtubulestabilizing agents epothilones A and B with purified tubulin and in cells resistant to paclitaxel (Taxol(R)). Journal of Biology Chemistry 1997; 272: 2534-2541
- 11 Kamath K, Jordan MA. Suppression of microtubule dynamics by epothilone B is associated with mitotic arrest. Cancer Research 2003; 63: 6026-6031
- 12 Dumontet C, Jordan MA, Lee FF. Ixabepilone: targeting betaIII-tubulin expression in taxane-resistant malignancies. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics 2009; 8: 17-25
- 13 Kavallaris M. Microtubules and resistance to tubulin-binding agents. Nature Reviews Cancer 2010; 10: 194-204
- 14 O’Reilly T, Wartmann M, Brueggen J et al. Pharmacokinetic profile of the microtubule stabilizer patupilone in tumorbearing rodents and comparison of anti-cancer activity with other MTS in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology 2008; 62: 1045-1054
- 15 Blum W, Aichholz R, Ramstein P et al. In vivo metabolism of epothilone B in tumor-bearing nude mice: identification of three new epothilone B metabolites by capillary highpressure liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry/tandem mass spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 2001; 15: 41-49