Simultaneous Determination of Methotrexate, Dasatinib and its Active Metabolite N- Deshydroxyethyl Dasatinib in Rat Plasma by LC-MS/MS: Method Validation and Application to Pharmacokinetic Study
received 17 August 2012
accepted 05 October 2012
08 November 2012 (eFirst)
Dasatinib is a multi-kinase inhibitor that potently inhibits Bcr-Abl, Src family and platelet-derived growth factor receptor kinases. Methotrexate is an antimetabolite and antifolate drug. Clinical trials utilizing a combination of dasatinib and methotrexate in patients with Philadelphia chromosome positive and/or Bcr-Abl positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia are currently ongoing. A need therefore exists to develop a sensitive analytical method for determination of dasatinib and methotrexate in plasma.
To estimate methotrexate, dasatinib and its active metabolite N-deshydroxyethyl dasatinib simultaneously using liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry (HPLC-ESI-MS/MS) in Wistar rat plasma.
The analytes were extracted by using liquid-liquid extraction procedure and separated on a reverse phase C18 column (50 mm×3 mm i.d., 4.6 µ) using methanol: 2 mM ammonium acetate buffer, pH 4.0 as mobile phase at a flow rate 1 mL/min in gradient mode. Selective reaction monitoring was performed using the transitions m/z 455.0>175.0, 488.1 > 401.0, 444.26>401.0, and 271.1>− 155.0 to quantify methotrexate, dasatinib, N-deshydroxyethyl dasatinib and tolbutamide respectively.
The method was validated over the concentration range of 1–1 000 ng/mL and the lower limit of quantitation was 1 ng/mL. The recoveries from spiked control samples were > 79% for all analytes and internal standard Intra- and Interday accuracy and precision of validated method were within the acceptable limits of < 15% at all concentration.
The quantitation method was successfully applied for simultaneous estimation of methotrexate, dasatinib and N- deshydroxyethyl dasatinib in a pharmacokinetic study in Wistar rats.
- 1 Bradeen HA, Eide CA, O'Hare T et al. Comparison of imatinib mesylate, dasatinib (BMS-354825), and nilotinib (AMN107) in an N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea (ENU)-based mutagenesis screen: high efficacy of drug combinations. Blood 2006; 108: 2332-2338
- 2 Luo FR, Yang Z, Camuso A et al. Dasatinib (BMS-354825) pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamic biomarkers in animal models predict optimal clinical exposure. Clin Cancer Res 2006; 12: 7180-7186
- 3 Christopher LJ, Cui D, Li W et al. Biotransformation of [14C]dasatinib: in vitro studies in rat, monkey, and human and disposition after administration to rats and monkeys. Drug Metab Dispos 2008; 36: 1341-1356
- 4 Kamath AV, Wang J, Lee FY et al. Preclinical pharmacokinetics and in vitro metabolism of dasatinib (BMS-354825): a potent oral multi-targeted kinase inhibitor against SRC and BCR-ABL. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2008; 61: 365-376
- 5 Rollino C, Beltrame G, Ferro M et al. Cancer treatment-induced nephrotoxicity: BCR-Abl and VEGF inhibitors. G Ital Nefrol 2010; 27 (Suppl. 50) S70-S74
- 6 Amrein PC. The potential for dasatinib in treating chronic lymphocytic leukemia, acute myeloid leukemia, and myeloproliferative neoplasms. Leukemia & Lymphoma 2011; 1-10
- 7 Ohanian M, Cortes J, Kantarjian H et al. Tyrosine kinase inhibitors in acute and chronic leukemias. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy 2012; 13: 927-938
- 8 Jolivet J, Cowan KH, Curt GA et al. The pharmacology and clinical use of methotrexate. New England Journal of Medicine 1983; 309: 1094-1104
- 9 Stovall T, Ling F. Single-dose methotrexate: an expanded clinical trial. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology 1993; 168: 1759
- 10 Bleyer WA. The clinical pharmacology of methotrexate. New applications of an old drug. Cancer 1978; 41: 36-51
- 11 Ross DM, Hughes TP. Current and emerging tests for the laboratory monitoring of chronic myeloid leukaemia and related disorders. Pathology 2008; 40: 231-246
- 12 Skoetz N, Kluge S, Monsef I et al. Twelfth biannual report of the Cochrane Haematological Malignancies Group – focus on tyrosine kinase inhibitors. J Natl Cancer Inst 2011; 103: E1
- 13 Ravandi F, O’Brien S, Thomas D et al. First report of phase 2 study of dasatinib with hyper-CVAD for the frontline treatment of patients with Philadelphia chromosome-positive (Ph+) acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood 2010; 116: 2070-2077
- 14 Steinborner S, Henion J. Liquid-liquid extraction in the 96-well plate format with SRM LC/MS quantitative determination of methotrexate and its major metabolite in human plasma. Anal Chem 1999; 71: 2340-2345
- 15 Rule G, Chapple M, Henion J. A 384-well solid-phase extraction for LC/MS/MS determination of methotrexate and its 7-hydroxy metabolite in human urine and plasma. Anal Chem 2001; 73: 439-443
- 16 Turci R, Sottani C, Ronchi A et al. Biological monitoring of hospital personnel occupationally exposed to antineoplastic agents. Toxicol Lett 2002; 134: 57-64
- 17 Guo P, Wang X, Liu L et al. Determination of methotrexate and its major metabolite 7-hydroxymethotrexate in mouse plasma and brain tissue by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2007; 43: 1789-1795
- 18 De Francia S, D’Avolio A, De Martino F et al. New HPLC-MS method for the simultaneous quantification of the antileukemia drugs imatinib, dasatinib, and nilotinib in human plasma. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2009; 877: 1721-1726
- 19 Meesters RJ, Cornelissen R, van Klaveren RJ et al. A new ultrafast and high-throughput mass spectrometric approach for the therapeutic drug monitoring of the multi-targeted anti-folate pemetrexed in plasma from lung cancer patients. Anal Bioanal Chem 2010; 398: 2943-2948
- 20 Miura M, Takahashi N, Sawada K. High-performance liquid chromatography with solid-phase extraction for the quantitative determination of nilotinib in human plasma. Biomed Chromatogr 2010; 24: 789-793
- 21 Bouchet S, Chauzit E, Ducint D et al. Simultaneous determination of nine tyrosine kinase inhibitors by 96-well solid-phase extraction and ultra performance LC/MS-MS. Clin Chim Acta 2011; 412: 1060-1067
- 22 Furlong MT, Agrawal S, Hawthorne D et al. A validated LC-MS/MS assay for the simultaneous determination of the anti-leukemic agent dasatinib and two pharmacologically active metabolites in human plasma: application to a clinical pharmacokinetic study. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2012; 58: 130-135
- 23 Qian M, West W, Wu JT et al. Development of a dog microdialysis model for determining synovial fluid pharmacokinetics of anti-arthritis compounds exemplified by methotrexate. Pharm Res 2003; 20: 605-610