A Validated HPLC Method for the Determination of Eriocalyxin B in Plasma and its Application to Pharmacokinetic Studies
received 05 September 2012
accepted 25 October 2012
15 November 2012 (eFirst)
The purpose of this study was to determine EriB in plasma by using the method of HPLC and collect the preclinical pharmacokinetic parameters of EriB.
The analysis involved a simple liquid-liquid extraction. After making alkaline with NaOH, plasma was extracted with diethyl ether and the organic extract was then evaporated. From there, the residue was reconstituted in to the mobile phase. Chromatographic separation was achieved on the C18 column using acetonitrile and 0.1% triethylamine as mobile phase delivered at 1.0 ml/min. The UV detector wavelength was set at 233 nm. Standard curves were linear over the concentration range of 50–2 500 ng/ml.
The mean predicted concentrations of the quality control (QC) samples deviated by less than 3% from the corresponding nominal values; the intra-assay and inter-assay precision of the assay were within 10% relative standard deviation. The extraction recovery of EriB was more than 80%.
The developed method has been applied to the pharmacokinetic study of EriB in rats.
- 1 Ikezoe T, Chen SS, Tong XJ et al. Oridonin induces growth inhibition and apoptosis of a variety of human cancer cells. Int J Oncol 2003; 23: 1187-1193
- 2 Leung CH, Grill SP, Lam W et al. Eriocalyxin B inhibits nuclear factor-kappaB activation by interfering with the binding of both p65 and p50 to the response element in a noncompetitive manner. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 2006; 70: 1946-1955
- 3 Wang L, Zhao WL, Yan JS et al. Eriocalyxin B induces apoptosis of t(8;21) leukemia cells through NF-kappaB and MAPK signaling pathways and triggers degradation of AML1-ETO oncoprotein in a caspase-3-dependent manner. Cell Death Differ 2007; 14: 306-317
- 4 Sun HD, Lin ZW, Niu FD. Diterpenoids from Isodon eriocalyx var. Laxiflora. Phytochemistry 1995; 38: 1451-1455
- 5 Leizer AL, Alvero AB, Fu HH et al. Regulation of inflammation by the NF-κB pathway in ovarian cancer stem cells. Am J Reprod Immunol 2011; 65: 438-447
- 6 Yang Y, Sun H, Zhou Y et al. Effects of three diterpenoids on tumour cell proliferation and telomerase activity. Nat Prod Res 2009; 23: 1007-1012
- 7 Sun HD, Xu YL, Jiang B. Diterpenoids from Isodon Species. Beijing: Science Press; 2001. 95-104