Subscribe to RSS
Serial Intrauterine Transfusions for a Hydropic Fetus with Severe Anemia and Thrombocytopenia Caused by Parvovirus: Lessons Learned
31 January 2013
06 February 2013
19 March 2013 (online)
Introduction Fetal exsanguination is a rare complication of cordocentesis. Successful correction of fetal thrombocytopenia is essential for the reduction of risks.
Case Report A 25-year-old, gravida 3, P2-0-0-0-2, was referred at 27 weeks of gestation for evaluation of newly diagnosed nonimmune hydrops secondary to parvovirus infection. Despite the use of ancillary platelet transfusions to correct the severe fetal thrombocytopenia, prolonged bleeding from the cord puncture site still occurred, necessitating five intrauterine transfusions to ultimately correct the fetal anemia.
Conclusions The use of a smaller-diameter procedure needle, correction of the fetal thrombocytopenia early in the procedure, and external cord compression with the ultrasound transducer were ultimately successful measures in allowing for minimal loss of transfused red cells from the intravascular compartment.
- 1 Valeur-Jensen AK, Pedersen CB, Westergaard T , et al. Risk factors for parvovirus B19 infection in pregnancy. JAMA 1999; 281: 1099-1105
- 2 Rodis JF, Borgida AF, Wilson M , et al. Management of parvovirus infection in pregnancy and outcomes of hydrops: a survey of members of the Society of Perinatal Obstetricians. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1998; 179: 985-988
- 3 de Haan TR, van den Akker ES, Porcelijn L, Oepkes D, Kroes AC, Walther FJ. Thrombocytopenia in hydropic fetuses with parvovirus B19 infection: incidence, treatment and correlation with fetal B19 viral load. BJOG 2008; 115: 76-81
- 4 Paidas MJ, Berkowitz RL, Lynch L , et al. Alloimmune thrombocytopenia: fetal and neonatal losses related to cordocentesis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1995; 172 (2 Pt 1) 475-479
- 5 Segata M, Chaoui R, Khalek N, Bahado-Singh R, Paidas MJ, Mari G. Fetal thrombocytopenia secondary to parvovirus infection. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2007; 196: e1-e4
- 6 Kenneth J, Moise J. Intrauterine fetal transfusion of platelets. Uptodate. April 18, 2012 . Available at: http://www.uptodate.com ; Accessed November 13, 2012.
- 7 Berkowitz RL, Kolb EA, McFarland JG , et al. Parallel randomized trials of risk-based therapy for fetal alloimmune thrombocytopenia. Obstet Gynecol 2006; 107: 91-96
- 8 Nicolini U, Nicolaidis P, Fisk NM, Tannirandorn Y, Rodeck CH. Fetal blood sampling from the intrahepatic vein: analysis of safety and clinical experience with 214 procedures. Obstet Gynecol 1990; 76: 47-53
- 9 Hashimoto B, Filly RA, Callen PW, Parer JT. Absorption of fetal intraperitoneal blood after intrauterine transfusion. J Ultrasound Med 1987; 6: 421-423