Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Mimicking an Oroantral Fistula: A Case Report
02 May 2013
26 May 2013
05 November 2013 (online)
Introduction Adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) is one of the most frequent malignant salivary gland tumors, which commonly affects the minor salivary glands of the mouth and is rare in the nose and paranasal sinuses. In the maxillary sinus, ACC can mimic inflammatory diseases and has a poor prognosis.
Objective To report a case of a 50-year-old man with ACC of the maxillary sinus whose clinical findings in the alveolar ridge mimicked an oroantral fistula.
Case Report An excisional biopsy was performed and histopathologic analysis revealed ACC. Lung metastases and residual tumor in the maxillary sinus were detected by imaging methods. In view of the poor general health of the patient, no new surgical intervention was performed and he was only treated by radiotherapy and follow-up.
Conclusion Although rare in the maxillary sinus, ACC should be included in the differential diagnosis of lesions affecting this site.
- 1 Kumar VP, Rao PN, Kumar GA. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of nasal cavity—a case report. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2003; 55: 43-46
- 2 Kokemueller H, Eckardt A, Brachvogel P, Hausamen JE. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck—a 20 years experience. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2004; 33: 25-31
- 3 da Cruz Perez DE, Pires FR, Lopes MA, de Almeida OP, Kowalski LP. Adenoid cystic carcinoma and mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the maxillary sinus: report of a 44-year experience of 25 cases from a single institution. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2006; 64: 1592-1597
- 4 Freitas VM, Scheremeta B, Hoffman MP, Jaeger RG. Laminin-1 and SIKVAV a laminin-1-derived peptide, regulate the morphology and protease activity of a human salivary gland adenoid cystic carcinoma cell line. Oral Oncol 2004; 40: 483-489
- 5 Mano T, Wada N, Uchida K, Muraki Y, Nagatsuka H, Ueyama Y. Central adenoid cystic carcinoma of the mandible with multiple bone metastases: case report. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010; 68: 446-451
- 6 Bradley PJ. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck: a review. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004; 12: 127-132
- 7 Gomez DR, Hoppe BS, Wolden SL , et al. Outcomes and prognostic variables in adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck: a recent experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008; 70: 1365-1372
- 8 Rhee CS, Won TB, Lee CH , et al. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the sinonasal tract: treatment results. Laryngoscope 2006; 116: 982-986
- 9 Lin WY, Hsu WH. Tumor-to-tumor metastasis: maxillary sinus adenoid cystic carcinoma metastasizing to double primary lung adenocarcinoma. Ann Thorac Surg 2010; 90: e59-e61
- 10 Dodd RL, Slevin NJ. Salivary gland adenoid cystic carcinoma: a review of chemotherapy and molecular therapies. Oral Oncol 2006; 42: 759-769
- 11 Singh S, , Gokkulakrishnan, Jain J, Pathak S, Singh KT. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of buccal mucosa. J Maxillofac Oral Surg 2010; 9: 273-276
- 12 Cohen AN, Damrose EJ, Huang RY, Nelson SD, Blackwell KE, Calcaterra TC. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the submandibular gland: a 35-year review. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004; 131: 994-1000
- 13 Lupinetti AD, Roberts DB, Williams MD , et al. Sinonasal adenoid cystic carcinoma: the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center experience. Cancer 2007; 110: 2726-2731
- 14 Lloyd S, Yu JB, Wilson LD, Decker RH. Determinants and patterns of survival in adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck, including an analysis of adjuvant radiation therapy. Am J Clin Oncol 2011; 34: 76-81
- 15 Gil Z, Carlson DL, Gupta A , et al. Patterns and incidence of neural invasion in patients with cancers of the paranasal sinuses. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2009; 135: 173-179