Detection of Respiratory Viruses in Nasopharyngeal Swab and Adenoid Tissue from Children Submitted to Adenoidectomy: Pre- and Postoperative Analysis
10 September 2013
02 December 2013
17 February 2014 (online)
Introduction The presence of respiratory viruses in lymphoid tissues of the nasopharynx and oropharynx and its impact on recurrent infections and hypertrophy of these tissues are not yet fully understood.
Objective To identify and determine the prevalence of major respiratory viruses in nasopharyngeal secretions and adenoid tissue pre- and postoperatively of children undergoing adenoidectomy.
Methods A prospective observational study was conducted in 36 patients under 12 years of age with upper airway lymphoid hypertrophy who were undergoing adenoidectomy, in which various respiratory viruses were investigated using real-time polymerase chain reaction in adenoid tissue and nasopharyngeal secretions collected preoperatively and 30 days postoperatively.
Results At least 1 viral agent was isolated in any of the samples collected in 58.3% of children and 25.9% of total samples. Respiratory viruses were identified in 33.8% of preoperative nasopharyngeal specimens and in 19.8% of postoperative secretion. Of the 21 patients with positive results for any respiratory virus, 6 (28.6%) had more than 1 virus. Considering all 36 respiratory viruses found, the main agent isolated was rhinovirus (27.8%), followed by bocavirus (22.2%).
Conclusion The virus found more frequently in all samples was rhinovirus. After removal of adenoid tissue, there was a decrease in the prevalence of the virus contained in nasopharyngeal secretion 30 days after surgery.
- 1 Dias EP, Rocha ML, Carvalho MOO, Amorim LMF. Detecção do vírus Epstein-Barr em tonsilites recorrentes. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol (Engl Ed) 2009; 75 (1) 30-34
- 2 Dell'Aringa AR, Juares AJC, deMelo C , et al. Análise histopatológica de produtos de adenotonsilectomia de janeiro de 2001 a maio de 2003. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2005; 71 (1) 18-22
- 3 Mogoantă CA, Ioniţă E, Pirici D , et al. Chronic tonsillitis: histological and immunohistochemical aspects. Rom J Morphol Embryol 2008; 49 (3) 381-386
- 4 Llombart M, Chiner E, Gómez-Merino E , et al. Síndrome de apneas-hipopneas durante el sueño en población infantil: diferencias en su expresión entre niños con hipertrofia amigdalar y con enfermedad concomitante. Arch Bronconeumol 2007; 43 (12) 655-661
- 5 Beraldin BS, Rayes TR, Villela PH, Ranieri DM. Assessing the impact adenotonsillectomy has on the lives of children with hypertrophy of palatine and pharyngeal tonsils. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2009; 75 (1) 64-69
- 6 Frankel SS, Tenner-Racz K, Racz P , et al. Active replication of HIV-1 at the lymphoepithelial surface of the tonsil. Am J Pathol 1997; 151 (1) 89-96
- 7 Huang SW, Giannoni C. The risk of adenoid hypertrophy in children with allergic rhinitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2001; 87 (4) 350-355
- 8 Proenca-Modena JL, Pereira Valera FC, Jacob MG , et al. High rates of detection of respiratory viruses in tonsillar tissues from children with chronic adenotonsillar disease. PLoS ONE 2012; 7 (8) e42136
- 9 Drago L, Esposito S, De Vecchi E , et al. Detection of respiratory viruses and atypical bacteria in children's tonsils and adenoids. J Clin Microbiol 2008; 46 (1) 369-370
- 10 Roush KS, Domiati-Saad RK, Margraf LR , et al. Prevalence and cellular reservoir of latent human herpesvirus 6 in tonsillar lymphoid tissue. Am J Clin Pathol 2001; 116 (5) 648-654
- 11 Chen R, Sehr P, Waterboer T , et al. Presence of DNA of human papillomavirus 16 but no other types in tumor-free tonsillar tissue. J Clin Microbiol 2005; 43 (3) 1408-1410
- 12 Lu X, Gooding LR, Erdman DD. Human bocavirus in tonsillar lymphocytes. Emerg Infect Dis 2008; 14 (8) 1332-1334
- 13 Suvilehto J, Roivainen M, Seppänen M , et al. Rhinovirus/enterovirus RNA in tonsillar tissue of children with tonsillar disease. J Clin Virol 2006; 35 (3) 292-297
- 14 Endo Y, Carroll KN, Ikizler MR, Wright PF. Growth of influenza A virus in primary, differentiated epithelial cells derived from adenoids. J Virol 1996; 70 (3) 2055-2058
- 15 Endo LH, Ferreira D, Montenegro MC , et al. Detection of Epstein-Barr virus in tonsillar tissue of children and the relationship with recurrent tonsillitis. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2001; 58 (1) 9-15
- 16 Herberhold S, Eis-Hübinger AM, Panning M. Frequent detection of respiratory viruses by real-time PCR in adenoid samples from asymptomatic children. J Clin Microbiol 2009; 47 (8) 2682-2683
- 17 Sato M, Li H, Ikizler MR , et al. Detection of viruses in human adenoid tissues by use of multiplex PCR. J Clin Microbiol 2009; 47 (3) 771-773
- 18 Alkhalaf MA, Guiver M, Cooper RJ. Prevalence and quantitation of adenovirus DNA from human tonsil and adenoid tissues. J Med Virol 2013; 85 (11) 1947-1954