Endoscopic full-thickness resection for gastrointestinal lesions using the over-the-scope clip system: a case series
submitted 25 May 2014
accepted after revision 04 July 2014
15 September 2014 (online)
The over-the-scope clip (OTSC) system was developed for the closure of gastrointestinal defects but can also be used for endoscopic resection. This report describes the efficacy and safety of endoscopic full-thickness resection (eFTR) using the OTSC system. In this retrospective, observational, open-label case study, a total of 17 patients underwent eFTR using a dual clip and cap technique. The indications were: carcinoids, incompletely resected colon cancers involving the mucosa or submucosa, recurrent fibrosed adenoma of the colon, and submucosal lesions. The technical success was 94 % (16 /17). The complete resection (R0) rate was 100 %. There were no complications. In summary, the described minimally invasive method to perform eFTR of complex gastrointestinal lesions appears to be effective and safe.
- 1 Pohl J, Borgulya M, Lorenz D et al. Endoscopic closure of postoperative esophageal leaks with a novel over-the-scope clip system. Endoscopy 2010; 42: 757-759
- 2 Manta R, Manno M, Bertani H et al. Endoscopic treatment of gastrointestinal fistulas using an over-the-scope clip (OTSC) device: case series from a tertiary referral center. Endoscopy 2011; 43: 545-548
- 3 Sandmann M, Heike M, Fähndrich M. Application of the OTSC system for the closure of fistulas, anastomosal leakages and perforations within the gastrointestinal tract. Z Gastroenterol 2011; 49: 981-985
- 4 Mönkemüller K, Toshniwal J, Zabielski M et al. Utility of the “bear claw”, or over-the-scope clip (OTSC) system, to provide endoscopic hemostasis for bleeding posterior duodenal ulcers. Endoscopy 2012; 44: E412-E413
- 5 von Renteln D, Rösch T, Kratt T et al. Endoscopic full-thickness resection of submucosal gastric tumors. Dig Dis Sci 2012; 57: 1298-1303
- 6 Sarker S, Gutierrez JP, Council L et al. Over-the-scope clip-assisted method for resection of full-thickness submucosal lesions of the gastrointestinal tract. Endoscopy 2014; (in press) DOI: 10.1055/s-0034-1365513.
- 7 Nishiyama N, Mori H, Kobara H et al. Efficacy and safety of over-the-scope clip: including complications after endoscopic submucosal dissection. World J Gastroenterol 2013; 19: 2752-2760
- 8 Raju GS, Gomez G. Endoloop ligation of a large colonic lipoma: a novel technique. Gastrointest Endosc 2005; 62: 988-990
- 9 Fähndrich M, Sandmann M, Heike M. Removal of over the scope clips (OTSC) with an Nd:YAG Laser. Z Gastroenterol 2011; 49: 579-583
- 10 Gutierrez JP, Sarker S, Wilcox M et al. “Clip and let go” for resection of duodenal carcinoid: a new technique using the over-the-scope-clip. Endoscopy 2014; 46: E61