Heart Rate Signal Decomposition
07 February 2018 (online)
This paper proposes a method for decomposing heart rate fluctuations into background, respiratory and blood pressure oriented fluctuations. A signal cancellation scheme using the adaptive RLS algorithm has been introduced for canceling respiration and blood pressure oriented changes in the heart rate fluctuations. The computer simulation confirmed the validity of the proposed method. Then, heart rate fluctuations, instantaneous lung volume and blood pressure changes are simultaneously recorded from eight normal subjects aged 20-24 years. It was shown that after signal decomposition, the power spectrum of the heart rate showed a consistent monotonic 1/fa type pattern. The proposed method enables a clear interpretation of heart rate spectrum removing uncertain large individual variations due to the respiration and blood pressure change.
- 1 Akselrod S, Gordon D, Ubel FA, Shannon DC, Barger AC, Cohen RJ. Power spectrum analysis of heart rate fluctuations: a quantitative probe of beat-to-beat cardiovascular control. Science 1981; 213: 220-2.
- 2 Appel ML, Berger RD, Saul JP, Smith JM, Cohen RJ. Beat to beat variability in cardiovascular variables: Noise or Music?. J Am Coll Cardiol 1989; 14: 1139-48.
- 3 Baselli G, Cerutti S, Civardi S, Malliani A, Pagani M. Cardiovascular variability signals: Toward the identification of a closed-loop model of the neural control. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 1988; 35: 1033-46.
- 4 Mullen TJ, Appel ML, Mukkamala R, Mathias JM, Cohen RJ. System identification of closed-loop cardiovascular control: effects of posture and autonomic blockade. Am J Physiol 1997; 272: H448-61.
- 5 Han K, Nagel JH, Schneiderman N. A continuous representation of heart rate. Proc the 14th Ann Int Conf IEEE EMBS. 1992: 785-6.
- 6 Yana K, Saul JP, Berger RD, Perrott MH, Cohen RJ. A time domain approach for the fluctuation analysis of heart rate related to instantaneous lung volume. IEEE Trans BME 1993; 40: 74-81.
- 7 Kobayashi M, Musha T. 1/f fluctuations of heartbeat period. IEEE Trans BME 1982; 29: 456-7.
- 8 Di Rienzo M, Parati G, Pedotti A, Castiglioni P. 1/f modeling of blood pressure and heart rate spectra. In Di Rienzo M. et al., eds. Frontiers of blood pressure and heart rate analysis. IOS Press; 1997: 45-53.
- 9 Mizuta H, Takeuchi I, Tsuda O, Yana K. A Feedback Analysis of Heart Rate Fluctuations related to Blood Pressure Change: Effect of Autonomic Blockade. Proc 19th International Conference IEEE/EMBS. 1997: 2184-6.