Reconstructing Bifurcation Diagrams of Dynamical Systems Using Measured Time Series
07 February 2018 (online)
We present an algorithm for reconstructing the bifurcation structure of a dynamical system from time series. The method consists in finding a parameterized predictor function whose bifurcation structure is similar to that of the given system. Nonlinear autoregressive (NAR) models with polynomial terms are employed as predictor functions. The appropriate terms in the NAR models are obtained using a fast orthogonal search scheme. This scheme eliminates the problem of multiparameter optimization and makes the approach robust to noise. The algorithm is applied to the reconstruction of the bifurcation diagram (BD) of a neuron model from the simulated membrane potential waveforms. The reconstructed BD captures the different behaviors of the given system. Moreover, the algorithm also works well even for a limited number of time series.
- 1 Abarbanel HDI, Brown R, Sidorowich JJ, Tsimring L. Analysis of observed chaotic data in physical systems. Rev Mod Phys 1993; 65: 1331-92.
- 2 Korenberg MJ. Identifying nonlinear difference equation and functional expansion representations: the fast orthogonal algorithm. Ann Biomed Eng 1988; 16: 123-42.
- 3 Tokunaga R, Kajiwara S, Matsumoto T. Reconstructing bifurcation diagrams only from time-waveforms. Physica D 1994; 79: 348-60.
- 4 Tokuda I, Kajiwara S, Tokunaga R, Matsumoto T. Recognizing chaotic time-waveforms in terms of a parameterized family of nonlinear predictors. Physica D 1996; 95: 380-95.
- 5 Bagarinao E, Nomura T, Pakdaman K, Sato S. Generalized one-parameter bifurcation diagram reconstruction using time series. Physica D 1998; 124: 258-70.
- 6 Bagarinao E, Pakdaman K, Nomura T, Sato S. Time series-based bifurcation diagram reconstruction. To be published.
- 7 FitzHugh R. Impulses and physiological states in theoretical models of nerve membrane. Biophys J 1961; 1: 445-66.
- 8 Nagumo J, Arimoto J, Yoshizawa S. An active pulse transmission line stimulating nerve axon. Proc IRE 1962; 50: 2061-70.
- 9 Wiggins S. Introduction to Applied Nonlinear Dynamical Systems and Chaos . New York: Springer; 1990