Subscribe to RSS
Common Standards for Quantitative Electrocardiography: Goals and Main ResultsThe research presented in this paper has been supported by the European Commission within the frame of its 2nd, 3rd and 4th Medical and Public Health Research Programmes of DG XII, as well as by the AIM and CTS programmes of DG XIII and by various funding agencies in ten EC Member States. This paper has partially been presented at the Symposium of the New York Academy of Sciences on “Electrocardiography: Past and Future”, held in Nice, September 7–9, 1989. The authors are grateful to Ms. I. Tassens for secretarial assistance and to Mr. I. Schoolmeesters for computer programming help.
06 February 2018 (online)
Computer processing of electrocardiograms (ECGs) has over the last 15 years increased rapidly. Still, there are at present no standards for computer ECG interpretation. Different techniques are used not only for measurement and interpretation, but also for transmission and storage of data. In order to fill these gaps, a large international project, sponsored by the European Commission, was launched in 1980 to develop “Common Standards for Quantitative Electrocardiography (CSE)”. The main objective of the first CSE study was to reduce the wide variation in wave measurements currently obtained by ECG computer programs. The second study was started in 1985 and aimed at the assessment and improvement of diagnostic classification of ECG interpretation programs. To this end reference libraries of well documented ECGs have been developed and comprehensive reviewing schemes devised for the visual and computer analysis of ECGs. This task was performed by a board of cardiologists in a Delphi review process, and by 9 VCG and 10 standard 12-lead programs developed by university research groups and by industry. A third action was started in June 1989 to harmonize acquisition, encoding, interchange and storing of digital ECG data. The action thus performed have become internationally recognized milestones for the standardization of quantitative electrocardiography.
- 1 Pipberger HV, Arms RJ, Stallman FW. Automatic screening of normal and abnormal electrocardiograms by means of a digital electronic computer. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1961; 106: 130-2.
- 2 Zywietz Chr, Schneider B. eds. Computer Application in ECG and VCG Analysis. Amsterdam: North Holland Publ Comp; 1973
- 3 van Bemmel JH, Willems JL. eds. Trends in Computer Processed Electrocardiograms. Amsterdam: North Holland Publ Comp; 1977
- 4 Wolf HK, Macfarlane PW. eds. Optimization of Computer ECG Processing. Amsterdam: North Holland Publ Comp; 1980
- 5 Willems JL, van Bemmel JH, Zywietz Chr. eds. Computer ECG Analysis: Towards Standardization. Amsterdam: North Holland Publ Comp; 1985
- 6 Willems JL. A plea for common standards in computeraided ECG analysis. Comp Biomed Res 1980; 13: 120-31.
- 7 Willems JL, Pardaens J. Differences in measurement results obtained by four different ECG computer programs. In: Ostrow HG, Ripley KL. eds. Proceedings of Computers in Cardiology 1977. Long Beach, California: IEEE Computer Society; 1977: 115-21.
- 8 Official Journal of the European Communities. 1980; L78: 4-28.
- 9 Willems JL, Arnaud P, Degani R, Macfarlane PW, van Bemmel JH, Zywietz Chr. Protocol for the Concerted Action Project “Common Standards for Quantitative Electrocardiography”. 2nd R&D programme in the field of Medical and Public Health Research of the EEC (80/344/EEC), CSE Ref. 80-06-00. Leuven: Acco Publ; 1980
- 10 Rautaharju PM, Ariet M, Pryor TA, Arzbaecher RC, Bailey JJ, Bonner R. et al. Task Force III: Computers in diagnostic electrocardiology. Am J Cardiol 1978; 41: 158-70.
- 11 Willems JL. Assessment of the concerted action method in European Medical Research: A case study. In: Brown BH, van Noort R. eds. Biomedical Engineering: A Strategy for the Future, Proceeding of a Workshop, help in Lisbon, Portugal, October 26-29th, 1988. Sheffield: University Press; 1989: 115-33.
- 12 Willems JL, Arnaud P, van Bemmel JH, Bourdillon PJ, Degani R, Denis B, Harms FMA, Macfarlane PW, Mazzocca G, Meyer J, Ritsema van Eck HJ, Robles de Medina EO, Zywietz Chr. Establishment of a reference library for evaluating computer ECG measurement programs. Comp Biomed Res 1985; 18: 439-57.
- 13 Willems JL, Arnaud P, van Bemmel JH, Bourdillon PJ, Degani R, Denis B, Graham I, Harms FMA, Macfarlane PW, Mazzocca G, Meyer J, Zywietz Chr. A reference database for multilead electrocardiographic computer measurement programs. JACC 1987; 06: 1313-21.
- 14 Willems JL, Arnaud P, van Bemmel JH, Bourdillon PJ, Brohet C, Dalla SVolta, Damgaard JAndersen, Degani R, Denis B, Demeester M, Dudeck J, Harms FMA, Macfarlane PW, Mazzocca G, Meyer J, Michaelis J, Pardaens J, Poppl SJ, Reardon BC, Ritsema van Eck HJ, Robles de Medina EO, Rubel P, Talmon JL, Zywietz Chr. Assessment of the performance of electrocardiographic computer programs with the use of a reference database. Circulation 1985; 71: 523-34.
- 15 The CSE Working Party. Recommendations for measurement standards in quantitative electrocardiography. Eur Heart J 1985; 06: 815-25.
- 16 Willems JL, Zywietz Chr, Amaud P, van Bemmel JH, Degani R, Macfarlane PW. Influence of noise on wave boundary recognition by ECG measurement programs. Comp Biomed Res 1987; 20: 543-62.
- 17 Zywietz Chr, Willems JL, Arnaud P, van Bemmel JH, Degani R, Macfarlane PW. Stability of computer ECG measurements in the presence of noise. Comp Biomed Res..
- 18 Willems JL. (CSE Project Leader). Annual CSE Progress Reports. Leuven: Acco Publ. 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989..
- 19 Willems JL, Abreu-Lima C, Arnaud P, van Bemmel JH, Brohet C, Degani R, Denis B, Graham I, Van Herpen G, Macfarlane PW, Michaelis J, Moulopoulos S, Poppl S, Zywietz Chr. Testing the performance of ECG computer programs. The CSE diagnostic pilot study. J Electrocardiol 1987; 20: S298-301.
- 20 Willems JL. 8th CSE Progress Report, Common Standards for Quantitative Electrocardiography. Leuven: ACCO Publ; 1988: 1-284.
- 21 Willems JL, Abreu-Lima C, Arnaud P, van Bemmel JH, Brohet C, Degani R, Denis B, Graham I, van Herpen G, Macfarlane PW, Michaelis J, Moulopoulos S, Poppl S, Zywietz Chr. for the CSE Working Party. Effect of combining electrocardiographic interpretation results on diagnostic accuracy. Eur Heart J 1988; 10: 1348-55.
- 22 Willems JL. A review of computer ECG analysis: time to evaluate and standardize. CRC Critical Reviews in Medical Informatics 1986; 01: 165-207.
- 23 Bailey JJ, Campbell G, Horton MR, Shrager RI, Willems JL. Determination of statistically significant differences in the performance of ECG diagnostic algorithm: an improved method. J Electrocardiol 1988; 21: S188-S192.
- 24 Michaelis J, Willems JL. Performance evaluation of diagnostic ECG programs. In: Ripley KL. ed. Computers in Cardiology 1987. Long Beach Cal: IEEE Computer Society; 1988: 25-30.
- 25 Willems JL, Campbell G, Bailey JJ. Progress on the CSE diagnostic study. Application of McNemar’s test revisited. J Electrocardiol 1989; 22: S136-141.
- 26 Willems JL, Abreu-Lima C, Arnaud P, Brohet C, Denis B, Gehring J, Graham I, van Herpen G, Machado H, Michaelis J, Moulopoulos S. Evaluation of ECG interpretation results obtained by computer and cardiologists. Meth Inform Med 1990; 29: 308-316.
- 27 Willems JL. An example of standardization need: Common Standards for Quantitative Electrocardiography. Proceedings of the CEN/CENELEC Workshop on European Standardization of Medical Devices, held in Brussels, December 12-14, 988. Publication of CEN/CENELEC. The Joint European Standards Institution, Brussels 1989; 341-50.
- 28 Willems JL. Computerized electrocardiography: setting the example for standardization. In: Barber B, Cao D, Gin D, Wagner G. eds. MEDINFO 89. Amsterdam: North Holland Publ Comp; 1989: 538-42.