Menière's Disease and Disorders of the Carbohydrate Metabolism Involving the Inner Ear
31 May 2018
14 August 2018
15 February 2019 (online)
Introduction Menière’s disease was described in 1861, but there are still uncertainties regarding its pathophysiology and treatment. Endolymphatic hydrops is recognized as a fundamental pathological characteristic of the disease, as a result of an inadequate absorption of the endolymph. A milder type of endolymphatic hydrops results from an altered chemical composition of the endolymph, due to disorders of the carbohydrate metabolism.
Objective To describe the association of both types of hydrops in patients with Menière disease.
Methods This was a retrospective study of 98 patients with Menière’s disease, 62 of whom also presented disorders of the carbohydrate metabolism, and 5 patients with delayed endolymphatic hydrops, 2 of whom also presented disorders of the carbohydrate metabolism.
Results The follow-up of these patients showed that the correction of the metabolic disorders may help in the clinical treatment of Menière’s disease and of delayed endolymphatic hydrops, but this does not happen in the more severe types of the diseases.
Conclusion Patients with Menière’s disease may present simultaneous disorders of the carbohydrate metabolism, affecting the inner ear. The correction of these disorders helps the clinical treatment but does not preclude the progression of the more severe cases of Menière disease.
- 1 Hallpike CS, Cairns H. Observations on the Pathology of Ménière's Syndrome: (Section of Otology). Proc R Soc Med 1938; 31 (11) 1317-1336
- 2 Merchans SN, Nadol Jr JB. Schuknecht Pathology of the Ear. 3rd ed. Shelton, CT: People's Medical Publishing House; 2010
- 3 Albernaz PL. Hearing Loss, Dizziness, and Carbohydrate Metabolism. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2016; 20 (03) 261-270
- 4 Mangabeira Albernaz PL, Fukuda Y. Glucose, insulin and inner ear pathology. Acta Otolaryngol 1984; 97 (5-6): 496-501
- 5 Lopez-Escamez JA, Carey J, Chung WH. , et al; Classification Committee of the Barany Society; Japan Society for Equilibrium Research; European Academy of Otology and Neurotology (EAONO); Equilibrium Committee of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS); Korean Balance Society. Diagnostic criteria for Menière’s's disease. J Vestib Res 2015; 25 (01) 1-7 Doi: 10.3233/VES-150549
- 6 Kraft JR. Diabetes Epidemic and You. Trafford Publishing; 2008
- 7 Albernaz PL. Unusual cases of delayed endolymphatic hydrops. Acta Otolaryngol 2007; 127 (04) 355-359
- 8 Mangabeira-Albernaz PL, Miszputen SJ. Vertigem e enzimas digestivas. In: Zuma e Maia FC, Mangabeira-Albernaz PL, Carmona S. Otoneurologia Atual. Rio de Janeiro: Revinter; 2014: 365-379