Early-Term Outcomes of Off-Pump versus On-Pump Beating-Heart Coronary Artery Bypass SurgeryFunding None.
08 November 2018
14 January 2019
05 March 2019 (online)
Background The current study analyzed and compared early-term outcomes of off-pump versus on-pump beating heart coronary artery bypass surgery.
Methods From January 2011 to January 2018, a total of 736 patients underwent isolated first-time elective beating-heart coronary artery bypass surgery without the use of aortic cross-clamping and cardioplegic arrest at our institution, and they were included in this study. Data of patients were collected and retrospectively analyzed. Patients were divided into two groups according to the use of cardiopulmonary bypass during the operation, as off-pump group (n = 399) and on-pump beating-heart group (n = 337). Both groups were compared with each other in terms of preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative data.
Results Groups were statistically similar with regard to baseline clinical characteristics and demographics. When compared with off-pump group, on-pump beating-heart group had a greater number of distal bypass, longer length of hospital stay, and lower postoperative hematocrit level, and received more blood product transfusion. No statistically significant differences were detected between the groups with respect to mortality and postoperative complications except for atrial fibrillation. Atrial fibrillation was significantly frequent in on-pump beating-heart group.
Conclusion Our study suggested that off-pump and on-pump beating-heart coronary artery bypass procedures had similar early mortality and major complication rates except for atrial fibrillation. However, it seemed that off-pump procedure was superior to on-pump beating-heart procedure with regard to length of hospital stay, blood product transfusion, and atrial fibrillation development. Further prospective randomized studies with larger patient series are needed to support our research and attain more accurate data.
- 1 Sharma GV, Deupree RH, Khuri SF, Parisi AF, Luchi RJ, Scott SM. ; Veterans Administration Unstable Angina Cooperative Study Group. Coronary bypass surgery improves survival in high-risk unstable angina. Results of a Veterans Administration Cooperative study with an 8-year follow-up. Circulation 1991; 84 (5, Suppl): III260-III267
- 2 Yusuf S, Zucker D, Peduzzi P. , et al. Effect of coronary artery bypass graft surgery on survival: overview of 10-year results from randomised trials by the Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery Trialists Collaboration. Lancet 1994; 344 (8922): 563-570
- 3 Ascione R, Angelini GD. Off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery: the implications of the evidence. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003; 125 (04) 779-781
- 4 Edgerton JR, Dewey TM, Magee MJ. , et al. Conversion in off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting: an analysis of predictors and outcomes. Ann Thorac Surg 2003; 76 (04) 1138-1142 , discussion 1142–1143
- 5 Saba D, Gören S, Tekin BH. , et al. The effects of position, ischemia and reperfusion to hemodynamics on the beating heart coronary bypass. Turk Gogus Kalp Dama 2003; 11: 26-31
- 6 Yuksel A, Yolgosteren A, Kan II. , et al. A comparison of early clinical outcomes of off-pump and on-pump coronary artery bypass grafting surgery in elderly patients. Acta Chir Belg 2018; 118 (02) 99-104
- 7 Rastan AJ, Bittner HB, Gummert JF. , et al. On-pump beating heart versus off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery-evidence of pump-induced myocardial injury. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2005; 27 (06) 1057-1064
- 8 Xia L, Ji Q, Song K. , et al. Early clinical outcomes of on-pump beating-heart versus off-pump technique for surgical revascularization in patients with severe left ventricular dysfunction: the experience of a single center. J Cardiothorac Surg 2017; 12 (01) 11
- 9 Gurbuz O, Kumtepe G, Yolgosteren A. , et al. A comparison of off- and on-pump beating-heart coronary artery bypass surgery on long-term cardiovascular events. Cardiovasc J Afr 2017; 28 (01) 30-35
- 10 Yüksel A, Kan II, Yolgösteren A. , et al. Are the early postoperative outcomes of coronary artery bypass grafting surgery in elderly women worse compared to men's?. Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc 2017; 32 (03) 191-196
- 11 Mack MJ, Brown PP, Kugelmass AD. , et al. Current status and outcomes of coronary revascularization 1999 to 2002: 148,396 surgical and percutaneous procedures. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 77 (03) 761-766 , discussion 766–768
- 12 Ercan A, Karal IH, Gurbuz O, Kumtepe G, Onder T, Saba D. A comparison of off-pump and on-pump coronary bypass surgery in patients with low EuroSCORE. J Cardiothorac Surg 2014; 9: 105
- 13 Biçer M, Ozdemir B, Işçimen R. , et al. Postoperative results of off-pump coronary bypass grafting in elderly patients: a single center experience. Open Cardiovasc Med J 2009; 3: 15-20
- 14 Takagi H, Umemoto T. ; All-Literature Investigation of Cardiovascular Evidence (ALICE) Group. Worse long-term survival after off-pump than on-pump coronary artery bypass grafting. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014; 148 (05) 1820-1829
- 15 Nicolini F, Fortuna D, Contini GA. , et al; RERIC (Registro dell'Emilia Romagna degli Interventi Cardiochirurgici) Investigators. Comparison between off- and on-pump coronary artery bypass grafting: long-term results of a real-world registry. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2016; 50 (03) 528-535
- 16 Smart NA, Dieberg G, King N. Long-term outcomes of on- versus off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting. J Am Coll Cardiol 2018; 71 (09) 983-991
- 17 Chaudhry UA, Harling L, Sepehripour AH. , et al. Beating-heart versus conventional on-pump coronary artery bypass grafting: a meta-analysis of clinical outcomes. Ann Thorac Surg 2015; 100 (06) 2251-2260
- 18 Darwazah AK, Bader V, Isleem I, Helwa K. Myocardial revascularization using on-pump beating heart among patients with left ventricular dysfunction. J Cardiothorac Surg 2010; 5: 109
- 19 Deppe AC, Arbash W, Kuhn EW. , et al. Current evidence of coronary artery bypass grafting off-pump versus on-pump: a systematic review with meta-analysis of over 16,900 patients investigated in randomized controlled trials. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2016; 49 (04) 1031-1041 , discussion 1041
- 20 Surgenor SD, Kramer RS, Olmstead EM. , et al; Northern New England Cardiovascular Disease Study Group. The association of perioperative red blood cell transfusions and decreased long-term survival after cardiac surgery. Anesth Analg 2009; 108 (06) 1741-1746
- 21 Hajjar LA, Vincent JL, Galas FR. , et al. Transfusion requirements after cardiac surgery: the TRACS randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2010; 304 (14) 1559-1567
- 22 Yoldas H, Karagoz I, Ogun MN. , et al. Novel mortality markers for critically ill patients. J Intensive Care Med 2018 Doi: 10.1177/0885066617753389 (e-pub ahead of print)
- 23 Yuksel A, Velioglu Y, Tecimer ME. , et al. Is there any relationship of postoperative atrial fibrillation with the use of blood products and postoperative hemoglobin levels in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting?. Med Sci 2018 •••;. Doi: 10.5455/medscience.2018.07.8861 (e-pub ahead of print)
- 24 Jakobsen CJ, Ryhammer PK, Tang M, Andreasen JJ, Mortensen PE. Transfusion of blood during cardiac surgery is associated with higher long-term mortality in low-risk patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2012; 42 (01) 114-120
- 25 Ascione R, Caputo M, Calori G, Lloyd CT, Underwood MJ, Angelini GD. Predictors of atrial fibrillation after conventional and beating heart coronary surgery: a prospective, randomized study. Circulation 2000; 102 (13) 1530-1535
- 26 Järvinen O, Laurikka J, Tarkka MR. Off-pump versus on-pump coronary bypass. Comparison of patient characteristics and early outcomes. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2003; 44 (02) 167-172
- 27 Dieberg G, Smart NA, King N. On- vs. off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Cardiol 2016; 223: 201-211
- 28 Enc Y, Ketenci B, Ozsoy D. , et al. Atrial fibrillation after surgical revascularization: is there any difference between on-pump and off-pump?. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2004; 26 (06) 1129-1133
- 29 Bohatch Júnior MS, Matkovski PD, Di Giovanni FJ, Fenili R, Varella EL, Dietrich A. Incidence of postoperative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing on-pump and off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting. Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc 2015; 30 (03) 316-324
- 30 Lewicki Ł, Siebert J, Rogowski J. Atrial fibrillation following off-pump versus on-pump coronary artery bypass grafting: incidence and risk factors. Cardiol J 2016; 23 (05) 518-523