Peliosis Hepatis—The Chameleon: An Unusual Presentation Mimicking Liver AbscessFunding None.
Received: 28 November 2018
Accepted after revision 26 March 2019
31 July 2019 (online)
Peliosis hepatis is a rare vascular condition characterized by multiple randomly distributed blood-filled cavities throughout the liver, ranging in size from a few millimeters to several centimeters in diameter. The appearance of peliotic lesion on imaging varies depending on morphologic type, concomitant hemorrhagic component, and presence or absence of background hepatic steatosis. Here, we report an unusual presentation of peliosis hepatis as an exophytic mass arising in liver parenchyma, mimicking a liver abscess.
- 1 Yanoff M, Rawson AJ. Peliosis hepatis. An anatomic study with demonstration of two varieties. Arch Pathol 1964; 77: 159-165
- 2 Tsokos M, Erbersdobler A. Pathology of peliosis. Forensic Sci Int 2005; 149 (01) 25-33
- 3 Wanless IR. Vascular disorders. In: MacSween RNM, Burt AD, Portmann BC, Ishak KG, Scheuer PJ, Anthony PP. eds. Pathology of the Liver. 4th ed.. Glasgow, UK: Churchill Living stone; 2002: 553-555
- 4 Kim SH, Lee JM, Kim WH, Han JK, Lee JY, Choi BI. Focal peliosis hepatis as a mimicker of hepatic tumors: radiological-pathological correlation. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2007; 31 (01) 79-85
- 5 Kleinig P, Davies RP, Maddern G, Kew J. Peliosis hepatis: central “fast surge” ultrasound enhancement and multislice CT appearances. Clin Radiol 2003; 58 (12) 995-998
- 6 Iannaccone R, Federle MP, Brancatelli G. et al. Peliosis hepatis: spectrum of imaging findings. Am J Roentgenol 2006; 187 (01) W43-W52
- 7 Battal B, Kocaoglu M, Atay AA, Bulakbasi N. Multifocal peliosis hepatis: MR and diffusion-weighted MR-imaging findings of an atypical case. Ups J Med Sci 2010; 115 (02) 153-156
- 8 Pliskin M. Peliosis hepatitis. Radiology 1975; 114 (01) 29-30
- 9 Ferrozzi F, Tognini G, Zuccoli G, Cademartiri F, Pavone P. Peliosis hepatis with pseudotumoral and hemorrhagic evolution: CT and MR findings. Abdom Imaging 2001; 26 (02) 197-199
- 10 Cohen GS, Ball DS, Boyd-Kranis R, Gembala RB, Wurzel J. Peliosis hepatis mimicking hepatic abscess: fatal outcome following percutaneous drainage. J Vasc Interv Radiol 1994; 5 (04) 643-645