Transforaminal Intrathecal Access for Injection of Nusinersen in Adult and Pediatric Patients with Spinal Muscular Atrophy
22 May 2019
03 August 2019
30 September 2019 (online)
Purpose The main purpose of this article is to assess the safety and efficacy of transforaminal lumbar puncture for the injection of nusinersen (Spinraza) in patients with extensive spinal fusion and/or scoliosis.
Method A retrospective chart reviews of all spinal muscular atrophy patients (adults and children) were conducted. Demographic data, procedure details, follow-ups, and related complications were recorded.
Results We performed 85 transforaminal injections in nine pediatric patients (5 male and 4 female) aged between 8 and 17 years (mean = 11 years) and seven adult patients (5 females and 2 males) aged between 24 and 41 years (mean= 30 years). Fluoroscopy guidance was used in 87% of our patients. No major complication was reported.
Conclusion Fluoroscopy-guided transforaminal nusinersen injection is a safe and successful alternative approach in adult and pediatric patients with severe spinal scoliosis, interlaminar osseous fusion, and spinal fusion hardware.
- 1 Wang CH, Finkel RS, Bertini ES. , et al; Participants of the International Conference on SMA Standard of Care. Consensus statement for standard of care in spinal muscular atrophy. J Child Neurol 2007; 22 (08) 1027-1049
- 2 Kolb SJ, Kissel JT. Spinal muscular atrophy. Neurol Clin 2015; 33 (04) 831-846
- 3 Lunn MR, Wang CH. Spinal muscular atrophy. Lancet 2008; 371 (9630): 2120-2133
- 4 Butchbach MER. Copy number variations in the survival motor neuron genes: implications for spinal muscular atrophy and other neurodegenerative diseases. Front Mol Biosci 2016; 3: 7 . doi: 10.3389/fmolb.2016.00007
- 5 Castro D, Iannaccone ST. Spinal muscular atrophy: therapeutic strategies. Curr Treat Options Neurol 2014; 16 (11) 316
- 6 Mercuri E, Finkel RS, Muntoni F. , et al; SMA Care Group. Diagnosis and management of spinal muscular atrophy: part 1: recommendations for diagnosis, rehabilitation, orthopedic and nutritional care. Neuromuscul Disord 2018; 28 (02) 103-115
- 7 Chung BH, Wong VC, Ip P. Spinal muscular atrophy: survival pattern and functional status. Pediatrics 2004; 114 (05) e548-e553
- 8 Arnold WD, Kassar D, Kissel JT. Spinal muscular atrophy: diagnosis and management in a new therapeutic era. Muscle Nerve 2015; 51 (02) 157-167
- 9 Ellis JA, Lavine SD. Role of embolization for cerebral arteriovenous malformations. Methodist DeBakey Cardiovasc J 2014; 10 (04) 234-239
- 10 Finkel RS, Mercuri E, Meyer OH. , et al; SMA Care group. Diagnosis and management of spinal muscular atrophy: part 2: pulmonary and acute care; medications, supplements and immunizations; other organ systems; and ethics. Neuromuscul Disord 2018; 28 (03) 197-207
- 11 Maharshi V, Hasan S. Nusinersen: the first option beyond supportive care for spinal muscular atrophy. Clin Drug Investig 2017; 37 (09) 807-817
- 12 Scoto M, Finkel RS, Mercuri E, Muntoni F. Therapeutic approaches for spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). Gene Ther 2017; 24 (09) 514-519
- 13 Haché M, Swoboda KJ, Sethna N. , et al. Intrathecal injections in children with spinal muscular atrophy: nusinersen clinical trial experience. J Child Neurol 2016; 31 (07) 899-906
- 14 Andreisek G, Jenni M, Klingler D. , et al. Access routes and reported decision criteria for lumbar epidural drug injections: a systematic literature review. Skeletal Radiol 2013; 42 (12) 1683-1692
- 15 Botwin K, Natalicchio J, Brown LA. Epidurography contrast patterns with fluoroscopic guided lumbar transforaminal epidural injections: a prospective evaluation. Pain Physician 2004; 7 (02) 211-215
- 16 Lutz GE, Vad VB, Wisneski RJ. Fluoroscopic transforaminal lumbar epidural steroids: an outcome study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1998; 79 (11) 1362-1366
- 17 Geraci AP, Black K, Jin M, Rimler S, Evans A. Transforaminal lumbar puncture for intrathecal nusinersen administration. Muscle Nerve 2018 . doi: 10.1002/mus.26082
- 18 Rodriguez D, Branstetter IV BF, Agarwal V. , et al. JOURNAL CLUB: incidence of complications following fluoroscopically guided lumbar punctures and myelograms. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2016; 206 (01) 20-25
- 19 Flaatten H, Thorsen T, Askeland B. , et al. Puncture technique and postural postdural puncture headache. A randomised, double-blind study comparing transverse and parallel puncture. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 1998; 42 (10) 1209-1214
- 20 Bezov D, Lipton RB, Ashina S. Post-dural puncture headache: part I diagnosis, epidemiology, etiology, and pathophysiology. Headache 2010; 50 (07) 1144-1152
- 21 Xu H, Liu Y, Song W. , et al. Comparison of cutting and pencil-point spinal needle in spinal anesthesia regarding postdural puncture headache: a meta-analysis. Medicine (Baltimore) 2017; 96 (14) e6527 . Doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000006527
- 22 Nascene DR, Ozutemiz C, Estby H, McKinney AM, Rykken JB. Transforaminal lumbar puncture: an alternative technique in patients with challenging access. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2018; 39 (05) 986-991
- 23 Ellen McCann, Mary, and Sulpicio G Soriano. General anesthetics in pediatric anesthesia: influences on the developing brain. Current drug targets 2012; 13 (07) 944-951
- 24 Weaver JJ, Natarajan N, Shaw DWW. , et al. Transforaminal intrathecal delivery of nusinersen using cone-beam computed tomography for children with spinal muscular atrophy and extensive surgical instrumentation: early results of technical success and safety. Pediatr Radiol 2018; 48 (03) 392-397