Cochlear Implants in Patients with Fluctuant or Progressive Hearing Loss on the Better Ear
Introduction Cochlear implants have been proposed for cases of unilateral hearing loss, especially in patients with tinnitus impairment. Several studies have shown that they result in definite improvement of sound localization and speech understanding, both in quiet and noisy environments. On the other hand, there are few references regarding cochlear implants in patients whose better ears present hearing loss.
Objective To report the audiological outcomes of three patients with unilateral deafness, in whom the better ears presented hearing losses, submitted to cochlear implants.
Methods Three patients with unilateral profound hearing loss underwent a cochlear implant performed by the same surgeon.
Results The patients' data are presented in detail.
Conclusion The indications for cochlear implants are becoming more diverse with the expansion of clinical experience and the observation that they definitely help patients with special hearing problems.
This study was approved by the Ethic Counsel of Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein (CAAE 17456219.2.0000.0071).
Received: 22 August 2019
Accepted: 21 December 2019
13 May 2020 (online)
© 2020. Fundação Otorrinolaringologia. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Revinter Publicações Ltda.
Rua do Matoso 170, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, CEP 20270-135, Brazil
- 1 House WF, Berliner K, Crary W. et al. Cochlear implants. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1976; 85 (3Pt2): (Suppl. 27) 1-93
- 2 Tokita J, Dunn C, Hansen MR. Cochlear implantation and single-sided deafness. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2014; 22 (05) 353-358 DOI: 10.1097/MOO.0000000000000080.
- 3 Cabral Junior F, Pinna MH, Alves RD, Malerbi AFS, Bento RF. Cochlear Implantation and Single-sided Deafness: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2016; 20 (01) 69-75 DOI: 10.1055/s-0035-1559586.
- 4 Lorens A, Kruszyńska M, Obrycka A, Skarzynski PH, Wilson B, Skarzynski H. Binaural advantages in using a cochlear implant for adults with profound unilateral hearing loss. Acta Otolaryngol 2019; 139 (02) 153-161 DOI: 10.1080/00016489.2018.1535190.
- 5 Galvin III JJ, Fu QJ, Wilkinson EP. et al. Benefits of Cochlear Implantation for Single-Sided Deafness: Data From the House Clinic-University of Southern California-University of California, Los Angeles Clinical Trial. Ear Hear 2019; 40 (04) 766-781 DOI: 10.1097/AUD.0000000000000671.
- 6 Ramos Macías A, Falcón-González JC, Manrique Rodríguez M. et al. One-Year Results for Patients with Unilateral Hearing Loss and Accompanying Severe Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Treated with a Cochlear Implant. Audiol Neurotol 2018; 23 (01) 8-19 DOI: 10.1159/000488755.
- 7 Buss E, Dillon MT, Rooth MA. et al. Effects of Cochlear Implantation on Binaural Hearing in Adults With Unilateral Hearing Loss. Trends Hear 2018; 22: 2331216518771173 DOI: 10.1177/2331216518771173.
- 8 Dillon MT, Buss E, Rooth MA. et al. Effect of Cochlear Implantation on Quality of Life in Adults with Unilateral Hearing Loss. Audiol Neurotol 2017; 22 (4-5): 259-271 DOI: 10.1159/000484079.
- 9 Berrettini S, De Vito A, Bruschini L, Fortunato S, Forli F. Idiopathic sensorineural hearing loss in the only hearing ear. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 2016; 36 (02) 119-126 DOI: 10.14639/0392-100X-587.
- 10 Russo FY, De Seta D, Lahlou G. et al. Fluctuating Hearing Loss in the Only Hearing Ear: Cochlear Implantation in the Contralateral Deaf Side. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2018; 158 (06) 1101-1106 DOI: 10.1177/0194599818763137.
- 11 Mangabeira-Albernaz PL, Fukuka Y, Chammas F, Ganança MM. The Mondini dysplasia - a clinical study. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 1981; 43 (03) 131-152
- 12 Mangabeira-Albernaz PL. The Mondini dysplasia--from early diagnosis to cochlear implant. Acta Otolaryngol 1983; 95 (5-6): 627-631