Homeopathic Clinical Features of 18 Patients in COVID-19 Outbreaks in Hong Kong
31. März 2020
19. April 2020
05. Juni 2020 (online)
Background Hong Kong is geographically located in the province of Guangdong which, after Hubei, has been the region of China second-most affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Compared to the pathognomonic symptoms of the named disease, homeopathic symptoms are always more helpful for homeopathic prescriptions.
Aim This study reports and summarizes the homeopathic symptoms observed in 18 confirmed/suspected epidemiologically related cases in cluster outbreaks of COVID-19 in Hong Kong in early 2020.
Methods Homeopathic symptoms from this case series were collected from 18 consecutive patients who, in addition to their concurrent conventional treatment or traditional Chinese medicine, actively sought help from homeopathy as an adjunctive measure for symptomatic relief from COVID-19. Cases were categorized according to outbreak clusters, focusing mainly on the homeopathic symptoms. In the analysis, frequency of all homeopathic medicines, common rubrics in all the cases, common rubrics in each of the top-ranked remedies, and differentiating symptoms for each top-ranked remedy were determined.
Results Homeopathic symptoms of 18 cases, each identified as mild and belonging to one of six separate clusters, are reported. Eighteen common symptoms screened out of 79 selected rubrics constituted two sets of homeopathic symptom pictures: Bryonia alba (n = 4) and Gelsemium sempervirens (n = 12). Eight and seven differentiating features, respectively, were identified for Bryonia alba and Gelsemium sempervirens.
Conclusion The common symptoms of 18 mild COVID-19 cases constituted two sets of homeopathic symptom pictures, indicating Bryonia alba or Gelsemium sempervirens; they were indicated in 4 and 12 cases, respectively, out of the 18 in total.
1. Homeopathy was used in Hong Kong in the COVID-19 pandemic as an adjunctive measure for symptom relief alongside conventional medicine or TCM.
2. Homeopathic symptoms are always more helpful than pathognomonic symptoms of the named disease for homeopathic prescription.
3. Homeopathic symptoms of 18 cases from six clusters were reported.
4. Eighteen common symptoms with a minimal frequency of four were screened from 79 selected rubrics from all the cases.
5. The common symptoms constituted two sets of homeopathic symptom pictures: Bryonia alba and Gelsemium sempervirens. They were used in 4 and 12 cases respectively out of the 18 cases.
6. Eight and seven differentiating features were identified for Bryonia alba and Gelsemium sempervirens, respectively.
- 1 World Health Organization. Coronavirus (COVID-19). Available at: https://covid19.who.int/ . Accessed April 8, 2020
- 2 World Health Organization. Coronavirus (COVID-19): China. Available at: https://covid19.who.int/region/wpro/country/cn . Accessed April 8, 2020
- 3 Zhang Q. WHO Traditional Medicine Strategy 2014-2023. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2013
- 4 National Health Commission of the People's Republic of China. Press conference of the joint prevention and control mechanism of the state council; February 17, 2020. Available at: http://www.gov.cn/xinwen/gwylflkjz18/index.htm . Accessed April 8, 2020
- 5 Luo H, Tang QL, Shang YX. , et al. Can Chinese medicine be used for prevention of corona virus disease 2019 (COVID-19)? A review of historical classics, research evidence and current prevention programs. Chin J Integr Med 2020; 26: 243-250
- 6 Jacobs J. Homeopathic prevention and management of epidemic diseases. Homeopathy 2018; 107: 157-160
- 7 Hahnemann S. Heilung und Verhütung des Scharlachfiebers. Gotha, Germany: 1801
- 8 Winston J. The Faces of Homeopathy. Wellington, New Zealand: Great Auk Publishing; 1999
- 9 Wadhwani GG. Homeopathic drug therapy. Homeopathy in chikungunya fever and post-chikungunya chronic arthritis: an observational study. Homeopathy 2013; 102: 193-198
- 10 Nair KRJ, Gopinadhan S, Kurup TNS. , et al. Homoeopathic genus Epidemicus ‘Bryonia alba’ as a prophylactic during an outbreak of Chikungunya in India: a cluster-randomised, double-blind, placebo- controlled trial. Indian J Res Homoeopathy 2014; 8: 160-165
- 11 Saeed-ul-Hassan S, Tariq I, Khalid A, Karim S. Comparative clinical study on the effectiveness of homeopathic combination remedy with standard maintenance therapy for dengue fever. Trop J Pharm Res 2013; 12: 767-770
- 12 Jacobs J, Fernandez EA, Merizalde B, Avila-Montes GA, Crothers D. The use of homeopathic combination remedy for dengue fever symptoms: a pilot RCT in Honduras. Homeopathy 2007; 96: 22-26
- 13 Bracho G, Varela E, Fernández R. , et al. Large-scale application of highly-diluted bacteria for leptospirosis epidemic control. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 156-166
- 14 Van Erp VMA, Brands M. Homoeopathic treatment of malaria in Ghana. Br Homeopath J 1996; 85: 66-70
- 15 Diagnosis and Treatment Protocol for COVID-19 (Trial Version 7), National Health Commission of the People's Republic of China. Available at: http://www.nhc.gov.cn/xcs/zhengcwj/202003/46c9294a7dfe4cef80dc7f5912eb1989.shtml . Accessed April 8, 2020
- 16 Schroyens F. . Related Remedy, RadarOpus database 2007. Available at: https://www.radaropus.com/academy/Radaropus-in-der-t%C3%A4glichen-Praxis-Webinar-mit-Dr.-Frederik-Schroyens
- 17 Wu Z, McGoogan JM. Characteristics of and important lessons from the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak in China: summary of a report of 72 314 cases from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. JAMA 2020; 323: 1239-1242
- 18 Guan WJ, Liang WH, Zhao Y. . China Medical Treatment Expert Group for Covid-19. Comorbidity and its impact on 1590 patients with Covid-19 in China: a nationwide analysis. Eur Respir J 2020; 55: 2000547