Total Hip Replacement: Exchange of a Loose Perforated Press-Fit Cup with a Porous-Coated Press-Fit Cup in a Dog
Objective The aim of this study was to report the successful revision of a loose perforated press-fit cup by exchange with a porous-coated press-fit cup while maintaining the original locking stem and head–neck unit.
Methods Cup revision was performed in a dog with a loose acetabular cup that had undergone total hip replacement with a perforated press-fit cup and locking stem 29 months previously. The original locking stem was well integrated. A single session cup exchange was performed by implantation of a 28-mm porous-coated press-fit cup with 16 mm internal diameter to allow the original locking stem and head–neck unit to be preserved.
Results Revision total hip arthroplasty by cup exchange resulted in excellent functional outcome with long-term follow-up 18 months postoperatively. There were no intraoperative or postoperative complications.
Conclusion A loose perforated press-fit cup was successfully revised with a porous press-fit cup while allowing preservation of the initial locking stem and head–neck unit.
R.G.C. and J.O.S. planned and performed the described revision surgery. S.M.M.C. prepared the manuscript with support from R.G.C. and J.O.S.
Received: 05 November 2019
Accepted: 14 August 2020
29 September 2020 (online)
© 2020. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Stuttgart · New York
- 1 Gorman HA. A new prosthetic hip joint; experiences in its use in the dog, and its probable application to man. Mil Med 1957; 121 (02) 91-93
- 2 Olmstead ML, Hohn RB, Turner TM. A five-year study of 221 total hip replacements in the dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1983; 183 (02) 191-194
- 3 Liska WD. Cemented total hip replacement: experience in the USA with the BioMedtrix prosthesis. In: Proceedings of the 2004 European Society of Veterinary Orthopedics and Traumatology, Pre-Congress - Total Hip Replacement Seminar, 2004 Munich, Germany:
- 4 Iwata D, Broun HC, Black AP, Preston CA, Anderson GI. Total hip arthroplasty outcomes assessment using functional and radiographic scores to compare canine systems. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2008; 21 (03) 221-230
- 5 Skurla CT, Egger EL, Schwarz PD, James SP. Owner assessment of the outcome of total hip arthroplasty in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2000; 217 (07) 1010-1012
- 6 Khanuja HS, Vakil JJ, Goddard MS, Mont MA. Cementless femoral fixation in total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011; 93 (05) 500-509
- 7 Hummel DW, Lanz OI, Werre SR. Complications of cementless total hip replacement. A retrospective study of 163 cases. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2010; 23 (06) 424-432
- 8 Guerrero TG, Montavon PM. Zurich cementless total hip replacement: retrospective evaluation of 2nd generation implants in 60 dogs. Vet Surg 2009; 38 (01) 70-80
- 9 Hanson SP, Peck JN, Berry CR, Graham J, Stevens G. Radiographic evaluation of the Zurich cementless total hip acetabular component. Vet Surg 2006; 35 (06) 550-558
- 10 Schiller TD. BioMedtrix total hip replacement systems: an overview. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2017; 47 (04) 899-916
- 11 Hach V, Delfs G. Initial experience with a newly developed cementless hip endoprosthesis. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2009; 22 (02) 153-158
- 12 Harper TAM. INNOPLANT total hip replacement system. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2017; 47 (04) 935-944
- 13 Vezzoni L, Vezzoni A, Boudrieau RJ. Long-term outcome of Zürich cementless total hip arthroplasty in 439 cases. Vet Surg 2015; 44 (08) 921-929
- 14 Henderson ER, Wills A, Torrington AM. et al. Evaluation of variables influencing success and complication rates in canine total hip replacement: results from the British Veterinary Orthopaedic Association Canine Hip Registry (collation of data: 2010-2012). Vet Rec 2017; 181 (01) 18
- 15 Roe S, Marcellin-Little D, Lascelles D. Short-term outcome of uncemented THR. In: Proceedings of the 2010 American College of Veterinary Surgeons, Veterinary Symposium; 2010 Germantown, Maryland:
- 16 Kidd SW, Preston CA, Moore GE. Complications of porous-coated press-fit cementless total hip replacement in dogs. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2016; 29 (05) 402-408
- 17 Agnello KA, Cimino Brown D, Aoki K, Franklin S, Hayashi K. Risk factors for loosening of cementless threaded femoral implants in canine total hip arthroplasty. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2015; 28 (01) 48-53
- 18 Denny HR, Linnell M, Maddox TW, Comerford EJ. Canine total hip replacement using a cementless threaded cup and stem: a review of 55 cases. J Small Anim Pract 2018; 59 (06) 350-356
- 19 Nesser VE, Kowaleski MP, Boudrieau RJ. Severe polyethylene wear requiring revision total hip arthroplasty in three dogs. Vet Surg 2016; 45 (05) 664-671
- 20 Vezzoni L, Montinaro V, Vezzoni A. Use of a revision cup for treatment of Zurich cementless acetabular cup loosening. Surgical technique and clinical application in 31 cases. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2013; 26 (05) 408-415
- 21 DeYoung DJ, Schiller RA, DeYoung BA. Radiographic assessment of a canine uncemented porous-coated anatomic total hip prosthesis. Vet Surg 1993; 22 (06) 473-481
- 22 El-Warrak AO, Olmstead ML, von Rechenberg B, Auer JA. A review of aseptic loosening in total hip arthroplasty. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2001; 14 (03) 115-124
- 23 Liska WD, Israel SK, Poteet BA. Polar gap after cementless total hip replacement in dogs. Vet Surg 2019; 48 (03) 321-335
- 24 Vezzoni L, Bazzo S, Vezzoni A. Revision of a BFX total hip replacement stem using a Kyon stem and a head adaptor in two dogs. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2017; 30 (01) 81-87
- 25 Castelli E, Schmierer PA, Pozzi A. Custom acetabular prosthesis for total hip replacement: a case report in a dog with acetabular bone loss after femoral head and neck ostectomy. Vet Surg 2019; 48 (08) 1520-1529
- 26 Bayer K, Matiasovic M, Steger H, Böttcher P. Complications and long-term outcome in 16 canine cementless hybrid hip arthroplasties. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2019; 32 (01) 73-78
- 27 Walmsley DW, Waddell JP, Schemitsch EH. Isolated cup and liner exchange in revision hip arthroplasty. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2017; 25 (04) 288-296