Subscribe to RSS
Smartphones and Hearing Loss: There's an App for That!
Smartphone use has become increasingly prevalent and patients are frequently using this technology to engage in health-related activities. There are a variety of smartphone applications that can be used to assist individuals with hearing loss, particularly during extreme situations such as a global pandemic which results in restricted face-to-face interactions. The hearing-related applications can be divided into four categories: (1) screening and assessment, (2) intervention and rehabilitation, (3) education and information, and (4) assistive tools. Several subcategories of applications in the assistive tools category are described that may be of interest to individuals with hearing loss, whether they wear hearing aids or not. Examples of the apps along with links are included for each subcategory.
16 December 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Eysenbach G. What is e-health?. J Med Internet Res 2001; 3 (02) E20
- 2 Free C, Phillips G, Felix L, Galli L, Patel V, Edwards P. The effectiveness of M-health technologies for improving health and health services: a systematic review protocol. BMC Res Notes 2010; 3 (01) 250
- 3 PEW Research Center. Demographics of Mobile Device Ownership and Adoption in the United States. Accessed June 2, 2020 at: https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/fact-sheet/mobile/
- 4 Yadav S, Chakraborty P. Children aged two to four are able to scribble and draw using a smartphone app. Acta Paediatr 2017; 106 (06) 991-994
- 5 Mohadisdudis H, Ali N. A study of smartphone usage and barriers among the elderly. 3rd International Conference on User Science and Engineering. September 2–5, 2014: 109-114
- 6 Ng SL, Phelan S, Leonard M, Galster J. A qualitative case study of smartphone-connected hearing aids: influences on patients, clinicians, and patient-clinician interactions. J Am Acad Audiol 2017; 28 (06) 506-521
- 7 Kimball SH, Singh G, John AB, Jenstad LM. Implications and attitudes of audiologists towards smartphone integration in hearing healthcare. Hear Res 2018; 369: 15-23
- 8 Paglialonga A, Tognola G, Pinciroli F. Apps for hearing science and care. Am J Audiol 2015; 24 (03) 293-298