Percutaneous Hepatobiliary Endoscopy in the Interventional Radiology Suite
Percutaneous transhepatic choledochoscopy and cholecystoscopy have a growing place in the interventional radiology suite. Patients with indwelling tubes who may have once been left with limited options for stone extraction, targeted biopsy, and/or chronic biliary stricture can now have comprehensive care of their disease process by an interventional radiologist. There are a variety of low-profile and large-profile devices available in the hospital that can be repurposed for use in the biliary system and gallbladder. In many situations, these tools can be used to render patients with limited transoral endoscopic options and chronic indwelling tubes, tube free. This article provides an introduction to biliary endoscopy and cholecystoscopy and their role for the interventional radiologist.
Keywordspercutaneous endoscopy - biliary endoscopy - cholecystoscopy - choledochoscopy - lithotripsy - biliary stricture - laser
Received: 16 August 2020
Accepted: 01 September 2020
19 November 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Srinivasa RN, Chick JFB. Endoscopy for the interventional radiologist: an introduction. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 2019; 22 (03) 117-118
- 2 Makary MS, Farrell JJ, Khayat M, Chick JFB, Srinivasa RN. Biliary endoscopy for benign and malignant biliary strictures. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 2019; 22 (03) 135-138
- 3 Srinivasa RN, Pampati R, Patel N, Srinivasa RN, Hage AN, Chick JFB. Interventional radiology-operated endoscopy: indications, implementation, and innovation. Semin Intervent Radiol 2018; 35 (05) 477-485
- 4 Albertson NR, Chick JFB, Jiao A, Healey TL, Plotnik AN, Srinivasa RN. Collaboration is key - bridging the gap and building an IR endoscopy practice. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 2019; 22 (03) 125-126
- 5 Herr A, Collins D, White M. et al. Percutaneous biliary endoscopy for stones. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 2019; 22 (03) 127-134
- 6 Patel N, Chick JFB, Gemmete J, Pampati R, Johnson E, Srinivasa R. Interventional radiology-operated endoscopy using the LithoVue disposable endoscope: approach, technical success, clinical outcomes, and complications. Indian J Radiol Imaging 2018; 28 (03) 350-353
- 7 Kim SK, Mani NB, Darcy MD, Picus DD. Percutaneous cholecystolithotomy using cholecystoscopy. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 2019; 22 (03) 139-148
- 8 Srinivasa RN, Chick JFB, Cooper K, Srinivasa RN. Interventional radiology-operated endoscopy as an adjunct to image-guided interventions. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol 2019; 48 (02) 184-188
- 9 McDevitt JL, Srinivasa RN, Bundy JJ, Hage AN, Chick JFB. Interventional radiology-operated choledochoscopic-guided radiofrequency wire and Holmium laser ablations may facilitate treatment and long-term patency of benign biliary strictures. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2019; 30 (05) 766-769
- 10 Khayat M, Khayat A, Chick JFB. et al. Percutaneous interventional radiology-operated endoscopy for foreign body removal. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 2019; 22 (03) 149-153
- 11 Raymond CJ, Khayat M, Chick JFB, Srinivasa RN. Endoscopy an adjunct to image-guided interventions: a new frontier in interventional radiology. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 2019; 22 (03) 119-124
- 12 Mir FF, Jonnalagadda SS. Bile cast syndrome: diagnosis and management, a case series. Endosc Int Open 2017; 5 (05) E321-E323