Subscribe to RSS
Microsurgical Resection of Glioblastoma in a Patient Infected with Covid-19: A Case ReportRessecção microcirúrgica de glioblastoma em um paciente infectado com COVID-19: Relato de caso
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected a large number of patients in all countries, overwhelming healthcare systems worldwide. In this scenario, surgical procedures became restricted, causing unacceptable delays in the treatment of certain pathologies, such as glioblastoma. Regarding this tumor with high morbidity and mortality, early surgical treatment is essential to increase the survival and quality of life of these patients. Association between COVID-19 and neurosurgical procedures is quite scarce in the literature, with a few reported cases. In the present study, we present a rare case of a patient undergoing surgical resection of glioblastoma with COVID-19.
A pandemia de COVID-19 afetou um grande número de pacientes em todos os países, sobrecarregando os sistemas de saúde em todo o mundo. Nesse cenário, os procedimentos cirúrgicos tornaram-se restritos, causando atrasos inaceitáveis no tratamento de algumas patologias, como o glioblastoma. Em relação a esse tumor com alta morbimortalidade, o tratamento cirúrgico precoce é fundamental para aumentar a sobrevida e a qualidade de vida desses pacientes. A associação entre COVID-19 e procedimentos neurocirúrgicos é bastante escassa na literatura, com poucos casos relatados. No presente estudo, apresentamos um caso raro de paciente com COVID-19 submetido à ressecção cirúrgica de glioblastoma.
The patient and relatives have consented to the submission of the present case report to the journal.
Received: 22 June 2020
Accepted: 24 August 2020
26 November 2020 (online)
© 2020. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Revinter Publicações Ltda.
Rua do Matoso 170, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, CEP 20270-135, Brazil
- 1 Tsermoulas G, Zisakis A, Flint G, Belli A. Challenges to Neurosurgery during the COVID-19 pandemic. World Neurosurg 2020
- 2 Ozoner B, Gungor A, Hasanov T, Toktas ZO, Kilic T. Neurosurgery Practice During Coronavirus Disease. 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic. World Neurosurg. 2020 May;
- 3 Flemming S, Hankir M, Ernestus RI. et al. Surgery in times of COVID-19-recommendations for hospital and patient management. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2020; 405 (03) 359-364
- 4 Moriguchi T, Harii N, Goto J. et al. A first case of meningitis/encephalitis associated with SARS-Coronavirus-2. Vol. 94, International journal of infectious diseases : IJID : official publication of the International Society for Infectious Diseases. 2020: 55-8
- 5 Grelat M, Pommier B, Portet S. et al. Covid-19 patients and surgery: Guidelines and checklist proposal. World Neurosurg 2020
- 6 Wen J, Qi X, Lyon KA, Liang B, Wang X, Feng D. et al. Lessons from China When Performing Neurosurgical Procedures During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic. World Neurosurg; 2020
- 7 Ng Kee Kwong KC, Mehta PR, Shukla G, Mehta AR. COVID-19, SARS and MERS: A neurological perspective. J Clin Neurosci 2020; 77: 13-16
- 8 Paybast S, Emami A, Koosha M, Baghalha F. Novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and central nervous system complications: What neurologist need to know. Acta Neurol Taiwan 2020; 29 (01) 24-31
- 9 Ramakrishna R, Zadeh G, Sheehan JP, Aghi MK. Inpatient and outpatient case prioritization for patients with neuro-oncologic disease amid the COVID-19 pandemic: general guidance for neuro-oncology practitioners from the AANS/CNS Tumor Section and Society for Neuro-Oncology. J Neurooncol 2020; 147 (03) 525-529
- 10 Bernhardt D, Wick W, Weiss SE. et al. Neuro-oncology Management During the COVID-19 Pandemic With a Focus on WHO Grade III and IV Gliomas. Neuro-oncol 2020; noaa113
- 11 Germanò A, Raffa G, Angileri FF, Cardali SM, Tomasello F. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and Neurosurgery: Literature and Neurosurgical Societies Recommendations Update. World Neurosurg 2020; 139: e812-e817
- 12 Liu Z, Zhang Y, Wang X. et al. Recommendations for Surgery During the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Epidemic. Indian J Surg 2020; 1-5
- 13 Zoia C, Bongetta D, Veiceschi P. et al. Neurosurgery during the COVID-19 pandemic: update from Lombardy, northern Italy. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2020; 162 (06) 1221-1222
- 14 D'Amico RS, Baum G, Serulle Y. et al. A Roadmap to Reopening a Neurosurgical Practice in the Age of COVID-19. World Neurosurg 2020; 139: 289-293
- 15 Lippi G, Plebani M, Henry BM. Thrombocytopenia is associated with severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) infections: A meta-analysis. Clin Chim Acta 2020; 506: 145-148
- 16 Wilson MP, Jack AS. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in neurology and neurosurgery: A scoping review of the early literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2020; 193: 105866
- 17 O'Dwyer MJ, Owen HC, Torrance HDT. The perioperative immune response. Curr Opin Crit Care 2015; 21 (04) 336-342
- 18 Torrance HDT, Pearse RM, O'Dwyer MJ. Does major surgery induce immune suppression and increase the risk of postoperative infection?. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 2016; 29 (03) 376-383
- 19 Kucirka LM, Lauer SA, Laeyendecker O, Boon D, Lessler J. Variation in False-Negative Rate of Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction-Based SARS-CoV-2 Tests by Time Since Exposure. Ann Intern Med 2020; 173 (04) 262-267
- 20 Carrabba G, Tariciotti L, Guez S, Calderini E, Locatelli M. Neurosurgery in an infant with COVID-19. Lancet 2020; 395 (10234): e76