Plasma Exchange in Refractory Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis Associated with COVID-19: the Technical Challenges in a Developing CountryFunding None.
Evaluation of acquired demyelinating syndrome (ADS) without diagnostic biomarkers results in diagnostic and therapeutic challenges in pediatric population. Immune-mediated ADS of childhood responds well to steroid and intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg) and in refractory cases with plasma exchange. Novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) coinfection in such cases imposes technical challenges in management. An 11-year-old girl with quadriparesis and loss of vision and a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) brain showing acute demyelinating encephalomyelitis (ADEM) and cerebrospinal fluid examination being noncontributory responded well with plasma exchange after failing steroid and IVIg is described. Coinfection with COVID-19 mandating personal protection in a temperate country imposed technical challenges in her management.
Received: 08 October 2020
Accepted: 21 December 2020
08 February 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Netravathi M. Seronegative autoimmune encephalitis – a diagnostic and therapeutic dilemma. Ann Indian Acad Neurol 2019; 22 (04) 369-370
- 2 Banerjee S, Guha A, Das A, Nandi M, Mondal R. A preliminary report of COVID-19 in children in India. Indian Pediatr 2020; 57 (10) 963-964
- 3 United States Department of Labor, Emergency preparedness and response/CBRN personal protective equipment selection matrix for emergency responders. OSHA/NIOSH interim guidance (April 2005): chemical - biological - radiological - nuclear (CBRN) personal protective equipment selection matrix for emergency responders. Accessed October 2, 2020 at: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/emergencypreparedness/cbrnmatrix/
- 4 Schwartz J, Padmanabhan A, Aqui N. et al. Guidelines on the use of therapeutic apheresis in clinical practice-evidence-based approach from the writing committee of the American Society for Apheresis: the seventh special issue. J Clin Apher 2016; 31 (03) 149-162
- 5 Shin YW, Lee ST, Park KI. et al. Treatment strategies for autoimmune encephalitis. Ther Adv Neurol Disord 2018; 11: 1756285617722347
- 6 Gajjar M, Patel T, Bhatnagar N, Solanki M, Patel V, Soni S. Therapeutic plasma exchange in pediatric patients of Guillain–Barre syndrome: experience from a tertiary care centre. Asian J Transfus Sci 2016; 10 (01) 98-100
- 7 Latimer G, Corriveau C, DeBiasi RL. et al. Cardiac dysfunction and thrombocytopenia-associated multiple organ failure inflammation phenotype in a severe paediatric case of COVID-19. Lancet Child Adolesc Health 2020; 4 (07) 552-554