Subscribe to RSS
Extraparotid Warthin Tumors Imitating Metastasis of Oral Cancers
Introduction Extraparotid Warthin tumor (WT) is a very rare entity, especially when synchronous with oral cancer (OC).
Objective The present study presents a case series of extraparotid WTs detected in the surgical specimen of patients treated for OC.
Methods From 2007 to 2016, 336 patients were operated for OC in our institution. Neck dissection was performed in 306 patients.
Results In the 306 patients operated for OC whose necks were dissected, unexpected WTs were observed in 4 surgical neck specimens. In 3 cases, extraparotid WTs were responsible for tumor, node, metastasis (TNM) overstaging before surgery.
Conclusion Extraparotid WTs may be discovered during neck dissection in ∼ 1% of OC patients, and they may mimic neck metastasis, especially in positron-emission tomography/computed tomography (PET/CT) imaging.
KeywordsWarthin tumor - adenolymphoma - squamous cell carcinoma - mouth neoplasms - head and neck squamous cell carcinoma
Received: 15 October 2020
Accepted: 13 December 2020
Article published online:
19 October 2021
© 2021. Fundação Otorrinolaringologia. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commecial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Revinter Publicações Ltda.
Rua do Matoso 170, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, CEP 20270-135, Brazil
- 1 Teymoortash A, Krasnewicz Y, Werner JA. Clinical features of cystadenolymphoma (Warthin's tumor) of the parotid gland: a retrospective comparative study of 96 cases. Oral Oncol 2006; 42 (06) 569-573 DOI: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2005.10.017.
- 2 Patterson JW, Wright ED, Camden S. Extraparotid Warthin's tumor. J Am Acad Dermatol 1999; 40 (03) 468-470 DOI: 10.1016/s0190-9622(99)70499-8.
- 3 Schwarz E, Hürlimann S, Soyka JD, Bortoluzzi L, Strobel K. FDG-positive Warthin's tumors in cervical lymph nodes mimicking metastases in tongue cancer staging with PET/CT. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2009; 140 (01) 134-135 DOI: 10.1016/j.otohns.2008.09.019.
- 4 Sheahan P, Hafidh M, Toner M, Timon C. Unexpected findings in neck dissection for squamous cell carcinoma: incidence and implications. Head Neck 2005; 27 (01) 28-35 DOI: 10.1002/hed.20110.
- 5 Iwai T, Baba J, Shibasaki M. et al. 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose-positive Warthin tumor in a contralateral cervical lymph node mimicking metastasis in tongue cancer staging with PET/CT. J Craniofac Surg 2012; 23 (05) e507-e509 DOI: 10.1097/SCS.0b013e318266f750.
- 6 Gao M, Hao Y, Huang MX. et al. Salivary gland tumours in a northern Chinese population: a 50-year retrospective study of 7190 cases. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2017; 46 (03) 343-349 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijom.2016.09.021.
- 7 O'Neill ID. New insights into the nature of Warthin's tumour. J Oral Pathol Med 2009; 38 (01) 145-149 DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0714.2008.00676.x.
- 8 Honda K, Kashima K, Daa T, Yokoyama S, Nakayama I. Clonal analysis of the epithelial component of Warthin's tumor. Hum Pathol 2000; 31 (11) 1377-1380
- 9 Takezawa K, Jackson C, Gnepp DR, King TC. Molecular characterization of Warthin tumor. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1998; 85 (05) 569-575
- 10 Lewis PD, Baxter P, Paul Griffiths A, Parry JM, Skibinski DO. Detection of damage to the mitochondrial genome in the oncocytic cells of Warthin's tumour. J Pathol 2000; 191 (03) 274-281
- 11 Lee SK, Rho BH, Won KS. Parotid incidentaloma identified by combined 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose whole-body positron emission tomography and computed tomography: findings at grayscale and power Doppler ultrasonography and ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy or core-needle biopsy. Eur Radiol 2009; 19 (09) 2268-2274 DOI: 10.1007/s00330-009-1407-5.
- 12 Vlantis AC, Ng SK, Mak CK, Cheung JM, Chan AB, van Hasselt CA. If cytology of Warthin tumor is accurate, can management be conservative?. Ear Nose Throat J 2016; 95 (4-5): 185-188
- 13 Schwalje AT, Uzelac A, Ryan WR. Growth rate characteristics of Warthin's tumours of the parotid gland. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2015; 44 (12) 1474-1479 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijom.2015.07.019.