Subscribe to RSS
Effectiveness of Counseling Based on Functional Analytic Psychotherapy with Enhanced Cognitive Therapy on the Sexual Quality of Life of Married Adolescent WomenEficácia do aconselhamento baseado em psicoterapia analítica funcional – Com abordagem de terapia cognitiva aprimorada (FECT) na qualidade de vida sexual de mulheres adolescentes casadas
Objective Early marriage has many deleterious effects on the health of girls, such as sexual dissatisfaction, an inevitable result of the lack of sufficient knowledge about sexual issues at the time of the marriage. The goal of the present study was to determine the effectiveness of counseling based on functional analytic psychotherapy with enhanced cognitive therapy (FECT) on the sexual quality of life of married adolescent women.
Methods This clinical trial was conducted between July and October 2019 on 150 married adolescent women who met the inclusion criteria. In the intervention group, FECT was conducted in sixteen 90-minute sessions twice a week. The Sexual Quality of Life-Female (SQOL-F) questionnaire was used. When the study ended, the control group was given the choice of receiving the same intervention as the intervention group.
Results The paired t-test showed a significant difference between the mean score of sexual quality of life before (52.33 ± 23.09) and after (88.08 ± 10.51) counseling in the intervention group (p < 0.0001). According to the analysis of covariance, there was a significant difference between the score on sexual quality after counseling between the intervention (88.08 ± 10.51) and control (60.32 ± 23.73) groups (p < 0.0001). There was also a significant difference between the mean score on the four dimensions of sexual quality of life in the intervention group (p < 0.0001).
Conclusion The results showed that counseling based on FECT improved the sexual quality of life in all dimensions in married adolescent women.
Objetivo O casamento precoce tem muitos efeitos deletérios sobre a saúde das meninas, como a insatisfação sexual, resultado inevitável da falta de conhecimento suficiente sobre questões sexuais no momento do casamento. O objetivo do presente estudo foi determinar a eficácia do aconselhamento baseado em psicoterapia analítica funcional com terapia cognitiva aprimorada (FECT) na qualidade de vida sexual de mulheres adolescentes casadas.
Métodos Este ensaio clínico foi realizado entre julho e outubro de 2019 em 150 mulheres adolescentes casadas que preencheram os critérios de inclusão. No grupo de intervenção, FECT foi realizado em dezesseis sessões de 90 minutos duas vezes por semana. Foi utilizado o questionário Sexual Quality of Life-Female (SQOL-F). Quando o estudo terminou o grupo de controle teve a opção de receber a mesma intervenção do grupo de intervenção.
Resultados O teste t pareado mostrou diferença significativa entre o escore médio da qualidade de vida sexual antes (52,33 ± 23,09) e após (88,08 ± 10,51) o aconselhamento no grupo intervenção (p < 0,0001). De acordo com a análise de covariância houve diferença significativa entre o escore de qualidade sexual após aconselhamento entre os grupos intervenção (88,08 ± 10,51) e controle (60,32 ± 23,73) (p < 0,0001). Também houve diferença significativa entre a pontuação média nas quatro dimensões da qualidade de vida sexual no grupo de intervenção (p <0,0001).
Conclusão Os resultados mostraram que o aconselhamento baseado no FECT melhorou a qualidade de vida sexual em todas as dimensões em mulheres adolescentes casadas.
Keywordsfunctional analytical psychotherapy (FAP) - cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) - sexual quality of life - married women - adolescents
Palavras-chavepsicoterapia analítica funcional (FAP) - terapia cognitivo-comportamental (TCC) - qualidade de vida sexual - mulheres casadas - adolescentes
MG and KA designed the study and drafted the manuscript. AA prepared the counselling package. MT had full access to all of the data and was in charge of the integrity of the data. YJ was responsible for the accuracy of the data analysis. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Received: 08 July 2020
Accepted: 22 April 2021
30 August 2021 (online)
© 2021. Federação Brasileira de Ginecologia e Obstetrícia. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Thieme Revinter Publicações Ltda.
Rua do Matoso 170, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, CEP 20270-135, Brazil
- 1 Nezal AJ, Rad FS, Kalhor M, Hasanpour K, Alipour M, Montazeri A. Sexual quality of life in pregnant women: a cross sectional study. Payesh 2018; 17 (04) 421-429
- 2 Mofid V, Ahmadi A, Etemadi O. The comparison of cognitive-behavioral counseling and solution-oriented counseling on women's sexual satisfaction in Isfahan. J Woman Soc. 2014; 5 (03) 67-83
- 3 Ebrahimipour H, Jalambadany Z, Peyman N, Ismaili H, Vafaii Najjar A. Effect of sex education, based on the theory of planned behavior, on the sexual function of the woman attending Mashhad health centers. J Birjand Univ Med Sci. 2013; 20 (01) 58-67
- 4 Reissing ED, Laliberté GM, Davis HJ. Young women's sexual adjustment: the role of sexual self-schema, sexual self-efficacy, sexual aversion and body attitudes. Can J Hum Sex 2005; 14 (3–4): 77-85
- 5 Breuner CC, Mattson G. COMMITTEE ON ADOLESCENCE, COMMITTEE ON PSYCHOSOCIAL ASPECTS OF CHILD AND FAMILY HEALTH. Sexuality Education for Children and Adolescents. Pediatrics 2016; 138 (02) e2-11 DOI: 10.1542/peds.2016-1348.
- 6 Meghdadi MM, Javadpour M. Impact of early marriage on children's sexual health and mechanisms of deal with it. Med Law J. 2017; 11 (40) 31-60
- 7 Hosseininasab A, Alidoosti K, Forouhari S. Health-related counseling needs in adolescent girls: a qualitative study. Health Scope 2016; 5 (02) e2-16 DOI: 10.17795/jhealthscope-24601.
- 8 Samimi K, Mokarami H, Tontab Haghighi S, Taban E, Yazdani Aval M, Maasoumi R. Assessment of affecting factors on women's sexual quality of life among hospital employees. Majallah-i Danishgah-i Ulum-i Pizishki-i Gurgan 2016; 18 (03) 128-134
- 9 Zare Z, Golmakani N, Khadem N, Shareh H, Shakeri M. The effect of pelvic floor muscle exercises on sexual quality of life and marital satisfaction in primiparous women after childbirth. Majallah-i Zanan, Mamai va Nazai-i Iran 2014; 17 (103) 21-32 DOI: 10.22038/ijogi.2014.3007.
- 10 Lamyian M, Zarei F, Montazeri A, Hajizadeh E, Maasoumi R. Exploring the factors affecting Iranian women's quality of sexual life. J Hayat. 2016; 22 (02) 185-200
- 11 Elnashar AM, El-Dien Ibrahim M, El-Desoky MM, Ali OM, El-Sayd Mohamed Hassan M. Female sexual dysfunction in Lower Egypt. BJOG 2007; 114 (02) 201-206 DOI: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2006.01106.x.
- 12 Cayan S, Akbay E, Bozlu M, Canpolat B, Acar D, Ulusoy E. The prevalence of female sexual dysfunction and potential risk factors that may impair sexual function in Turkish women. Urol Int 2004; 72 (01) 52-57 DOI: 10.1159/000075273.
- 13 Alimohammadi L, Zarei F, Mirghafourvand M. Factors associated with sexual dysfunction in newly married women referred to the urban health centers of Zanjan, Iran: a cross-sectional study. Int J Women's Health Reprod Sci 2018; 6 (04) 477-482 DOI: 10.15296/ijwhr.2018.79.
- 14 Mae Delara RR, Cottrell C, Savitski J. Effects of adverse childhood experiences on female sexual quality of life. Obstet Gynecol 2018; 131 (Suppl): 146S-151S
- 15 Khajeh A, Bahrami F, Fatehizadeh M, Abedi M, Sajjadian P. The effect of happiness training based on cognitive behavioral approach on quality of marital life in married males and females. Knowledge Res Appl Psychol. 2013; 14 (03) 11-21
- 16 Mirenayat P, Abedi M, Izadi R. Effect of Functional Analytic Psychotherapy (FAP) on self-esteem of prostitutes: single-subject design. Knowledge Res Appl Psychol. 2017; 18 (02) 22-36
- 17 Etemadi A, Gholizadeh H, Salimi H, Farahbakhsh K. The comparison of the effectiveness of functional analytic psychotherapy with unified protocol for trans diagnostic treatment on depression, anxiety and marital satisfaction among women with marital distress. Thoughts Behav Clin Psychol. 2017; 12 (46) 47-56
- 18 Kanter JW, Manbeck KE, Kuczynski AM, Maitland DWM, Villas-Bôas A, Reyes Ortega MA. A comprehensive review of research on Functional Analytic Psychotherapy. Clin Psychol Rev 2017; 58: 141-156 DOI: 10.1016/j.cpr.2017.09.010.
- 19 Kohlenberg RJ, Kanter JW, Bolling M, Wexner R, Parker C, Tsai M. Functional analytic psychotherapy, cognitive therapy, and acceptance. In: Hayes SC, Follette VM, Linehan MM. editors. Mindfulness and acceptance: expanding the cognitive-behavioral tradition. New York: Guilford; 2004: 96-119
- 20 Reihani Asl F, Khayatan F. The effectiveness of sex education on women sexual schemas, women sexual self-esteem and sexual satisfaction in women who refer to counseling's centers of esfahan. Nurs Midwifery J. 2018; 16 (02) 130-138
- 21 Mohamadi S, Ozgoli G, Alizadeh S, Borumandnia N, Abbas A. The effect of modification of dysfunctional sexual beliefs on promotion of quality of pregnant women sexual life in Besat hospital. Resen Med 2017; 41 (03) 166-174
- 22 Haberland N, Rogow D. Sexuality education: emerging trends in evidence and practice. J Adolesc Health 2015; 56 (1, Suppl): S15-S21 DOI: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2014.08.013.
- 23 Kanter JW, Tsai M, Kohlenberg RJ. Introduction to the practice of functional analytic psychotherapy. In: Kanter JW, Tsai M, Kohlenberg RJ. eds. The practice of functional analytic psychotherapy. New York: Springer; 2010: 1-7
- 24 Symonds T, Boolell M, Quirk F. Development of a questionnaire on sexual quality of life in women. J Sex Marital Ther 2005; 31 (05) 385-397 DOI: 10.1080/00926230591006502.
- 25 Fatehi S, Maasoumi R, Atashsokhan G, Hamidzadeh A, Janbabaei G, Mirrezaie SM. The effects of psychosexual counseling on sexual quality of life and function in Iranian breast cancer survivors: a randomized controlled trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2019; 175 (01) 171-179 DOI: 10.1007/s10549-019-05140-z.
- 26 Kharaghani R, Esm Khani M, Mahmoodi Dangesaraki M, Damghanian M. The effects of psychological interventions on sexual function of women: a systematic review and meta-analysis. NPT 2020; 7 (03) 169-182 DOI: 10.18502/npt.v7i3.3345.
- 27 Alvandi Jam A, Afshari A, Talebi M, Abasi R. The effect of sexual rehabilitation on (Sexual) quality of life for hemodialysis patients referred to dialysis center in Labafinejad Hospital. Avicenna J Nurs Midwifery Care. 2015; 22 (04) 45-52
- 28 Etemadi A, Salimi H, Farahbakhsh K, Gholizadeh H. The efficacy functional anaiytic psychotherapy depression, anxiety symptoms and martial satisfaction among women with martial distress. Q J Mod Psychol Res. 2018; 13 (49) 1-20
- 29 Alimohammadi L, Zarei F, Mirghafourvand M. The effect of counseling based on Bandura's self-efficacy theory on sexual self-efficacy and quality of sexual life. Women Health 2020; 60 (04) 473-486 DOI: 10.1080/03630242.2019.1662871.
- 30 Abdelhakm EM, Said AR, Elsayed DMS. Effect of PLISSIT model sexual counseling program on quality of sexual life for postpartum women. Am J Nurs Sci 2018; 7 (02) 63-72 DOI: 10.11648/j.ajns.20180702.14.
- 31 Ahmadian AR, Hatami M, Tajik AA, Zahrakar K, Hasani J. The effectiveness of problem-solving oriented sex therapy based on the Islamic approach for couple's sexual problems (Feasibility study, compilation of conceptual model and initial therapeutic outcomes). Womens Stud 2018; 9 (01) 37-71
- 32 Milani AS, Hosseini M, Matbouei M, Nasiri M. Effectiveness of emotional intelligence training program on marital satisfaction, sexual quality of life, and psychological well-being of women. J Educ Health Promot 2020; 9: 149 DOI: 10.4103/jehp.jehp_124_20.
- 33 Stewart CD, Quinn A, Plever S, Emmerson B. Comparing cognitive behavior therapy, problem solving therapy, and treatment as usual in a high risk population. Suicide Life Threat Behav 2009; 39 (05) 538-547 DOI: 10.1521/suli.2009.39.5.538.
- 34 Steinke EE, Mosack V, Hertzog J, Wright DW. A social-cognitive sexual counseling intervention post-MI-development and pilot testing. Perspect Psychiatr Care 2013; 49 (03) 162-170 DOI: 10.1111/j.1744-6163.2012.00345.x.
- 35 Sincero SM. Social cognitive theories of personality [Internet]. 2012 [cited 2020 Aug 27]. Available from: https://explorable.com/social-cognitive-theories-of-personality
- 36 O'Sullivan LF, Brotto LA, Byers ES, Majerovich JA, Wuest JA. Prevalence and characteristics of sexual functioning among sexually experienced middle to late adolescents. J Sex Med 2014; 11 (03) 630-641 DOI: 10.1111/jsm.12419.