Pocket-creation method facilitates endoscopic submucosal dissection of colorectal laterally spreading tumors, non-granular type
submitted 05 August 2016
accepted after revision 16 November 2016
13 February 2017 (online)
Background and study aims The pocket-creation method (PCM) is a novel strategy for endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD). The aim of this study is to determine the efficacy of the PCM for colorectal laterally spreading tumors, non-granular type (LST-NG).
Patients and methods The records of 126 consecutive patients with colorectal LST-NG who underwent ESD between April 2012 and July 2015 were retrospectively reviewed. Patients were divided into PCM (n = 73) and conventional method (CM) (n = 53) groups.
Results The en bloc resection rate in the PCM group was significantly higher than in the CM group (100 % [73/73] vs. 92 % [49/53], P = 0.03). The en bloc resection rate with severe fibrosis was higher in the PCM group than in the CM group (100 % [3/3] vs. 60 % [3/5]). The R0 resection rate for the two groups was not statistically significantly different (93 % [68/73] vs. 91 % [48/53], P = 0.74). The perforation rate in the PCM group was lower than in the CM group although not statistically significantly less (0 % 0/73 vs. 4 % 2/53, P = 0.18). For lesions resected en bloc, dissection speed for the PCM group was significantly faster than for the CM group (median [IQR], 19 [13 –24] vs. 14 [10 – 22] mm2/min, P = 0.03).
Conclusion ESD using PCM achieves a reliable and safe resection of colorectal LST-NG.
- 1 Torre LA. Bray F. Siegel RL. et al. Global cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin 2015; 65: 87-108
- 2 Zauber AG. Winawer SJ. O’Brien MJ. et al. Colonoscopic polypectomy and long-term prevention of colorectal-cancer deaths. NEJM 2012; 366: 687-696
- 3 Woodward TA. Heckman MG. Cleveland P. et al. Predictors of complete endoscopic mucosal resection of flat and depressed gastrointestinal neoplasia of the colon. Am J Gastroenterol 2012; 107: 650-654
- 4 Central Social Insurance Medical Council, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. The Diagnosis Procedure Combination database, a national representative medical database in Japan. 2015 Available from: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/shingi2/0000104146.html (Accessed 7 May 2016)
- 5 Saito Y. Fukuzawa M. Matsuda T. et al. Clinical outcome of endoscopic submucosal dissection versus endoscopic mucosal resection of large colorectal tumors as determined by curative resection. Surg Endosc 2010; 24: 343-352
- 6 Shinozaki S. Hayashi Y. Lefor AK. et al. What is the best therapeutic strategy for colonoscopy of colorectal neoplasia? Future perspectives from the East. Dig Endosc 2016; 28: 289-295
- 7 Burgess NG. Bourke MJ. Endoscopic resection of colorectal lesions: The narrowing divide between East and West. Dig Endosc 2016; 28: 296-305
- 8 Uraoka T. Saito Y. Matsuda T. et al. Endoscopic indications for endoscopic mucosal resection of laterally spreading tumours in the colorectum. Gut 2006; 55: 1592-1597
- 9 Tanaka S. Kashida H. Saito Y. et al. JGES guidelines for colorectal endoscopic submucosal dissection/endoscopic mucosal resection. Dig Endosc 2015; 27: 417-434
- 10 Toyonaga T. Man-i M. Fujita T. et al. Retrospective study of technical aspects and complications of endoscopic submucosal dissection for laterally spreading tumors of the colorectum. Endoscopy 2010; 42: 714-722
- 11 Takeuchi Y. Iishi H. Tanaka S. et al. Factors associated with technical difficulties and adverse events of colorectal endoscopic submucosal dissection: retrospective exploratory factor analysis of a multicenter prospective cohort. Int J Colorectal Dis 2014; 29: 1275-1284
- 12 Hayashi Y. Sunada K. Takahashi H. et al. Pocket-creation method of endoscopic submucosal dissection to achieve en bloc resection of giant colorectal subpedunculated neoplastic lesions. Endoscopy 2014; 46 (Suppl. 01) E421-422
- 13 Hayashi Y. Miura Y. Yamamoto H. Pocket-creation method for the safe, reliable, and efficient endoscopic submucosal dissection of colorectal lateral spreading tumors. Dig Endosc 2015; 27: 534-535
- 14 Hayashi Y. Shinozaki S. Sunada K. et al. Efficacy and safety of endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial colorectal tumors more than 50 mm in diameter. Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 83: 602-607
- 15 Yamamoto H. Endoscopic submucosal dissection for colorectal tumors. In: Mönkemüller K. Wilcox CM. Muñoz-Navas M. eds. Interventional and therapeutic gastrointestinal endoscopy. Basel: Karger; 2010: 287-295
- 16 Matsumoto A. Tanaka S. Oba S. et al. Outcome of endoscopic submucosal dissection for colorectal tumors accompanied by fibrosis. Scand J Gastroenterol 2010; 45: 1329-1337
- 17 Higashimaya M. Oka S. Tanaka S. et al. Outcome of endoscopic submucosal dissection for gastric neoplasm in relationship to endoscopic classification of submucosal fibrosis. Gastric Cancer 2013; 16: 404-410
- 18 Hayashi N. Tanaka S. Nishiyama S. et al. Predictors of incomplete resection and perforation associated with endoscopic submucosal dissection for colorectal tumors. Gastrointest Endosc 2014; 79: 427-435
- 19 Kanda Y. Investigation of the freely available easy-to-use software ‘EZR’ for medical statistics. Bone Marrow Transplant 2013; 48: 452-458
- 20 Watanabe T. Itabashi M. Shimada Y. et al. Japanese Society for Cancer of the Colon and Rectum (JSCCR) Guidelines 2014 for treatment of colorectal cancer. Int J Clin Oncol 2015; 20: 207-239
- 21 Ueno H. Mochizuki H. Hashiguchi Y. et al. Risk factors for an adverse outcome in early invasive colorectal carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2004; 127: 385-394
- 22 Imai K. Hotta K. Yamaguchi Y. et al. Preoperative indicators of failure of en bloc resection or perforation in colorectal endoscopic submucosal dissection: implications for lesion stratification by technical difficulties during stepwise training. Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 83: 954-962
- 23 Pioche M. Mais L. Guillaud O. et al. Endoscopic submucosal tunnel dissection for large esophageal neoplastic lesions. Endoscopy 2013; 45: 1032-1034
- 24 Arantes V. Albuquerque W. Freitas Dias CA. et al. Standardized endoscopic submucosal tunnel dissection for management of early esophageal tumors (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2013; 78: 946-952