Subscribe to RSS
Strategies Used in Feigning Hearing Loss
Thirty unsophisticated participants with normal hearing were paid to simulate a hearing loss according to their success in "deceiving" the examiner. The behaviors that these "malingerers" manifested are described . A post-examination interview revealed the strategies used by these participants, which may reflect those strategies used by patients who truly attempt to feign a hearing loss .
Abbreviations : AC = air conduction, BC = bone conduction, NOHL = nonorganic hearing loss, PB = phonetically balanced, PTA = pure-tone average, SRT = speech recognition threshold, WRS = word recognition score
Article published online:
28 February 2022
© 2001. American Academy of Audiology. This article is published by Thieme.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- American Speech and Hearing Association. (1978) . Guidelines for manual pure-tone auditory . ASHA 20 :297-301.
- American National Standards Institute. (1991). Maximum Permissible Ambient Noise Leuels for Audiometric Test Rooms. (ANSI S3 .1-1991) . New York : ANSI.
- American National Standards Institute. (1996) . Specification for Audiometers. (ANSI S3.6-1996) . New York : ANSI.
- Armbruster JM. (1982) . Indices of exaggerated hearing loss from conventional audiological procedures. In : Kramer MB, Armbruster JM, eds. Forensic Audiology Baltimore: University Park Press, 69-95.
- Hood WH, Campbell RA, Hutton CL. (1964) . An evaluation of the Bekesy ascending and descending gap. J Speech Hear Res 7:123-132.
- Martin FN. (1994) . Pseudohypacusis. In : Katz J, ed . Handbook of Clinical Audiology. 4th Ed. Baltimore: Williams Wilkins, 553-567.
- Martin FN, Champlin CA, Chambers JA. (1997). Seventh survey of audiometric practices in the United States . J Am Acad Audiol 9:95-104.
- Martin FN, Dowdy LK. (1986). A modified spondee threshold procedure. J Audit Res 26 :115-119 .
- Martin JS, Martin FN, Champlin CA. (2000) . The CON-SOT-LOT test for nonorganic hearing loss . J Am Acad Audiol 11 :46-51 .
- Tillman TW Carhart R. (1966) . An Expanded Test for Speech Discrimination Utilizing CNC Monosyllabic Words. Northwestern University Auditory Test No. 6, Technical Report, SAM-TR-66-55. Brooks Air Force Base, TX: USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Aerospace Medical Division (AFSC).