Subscribe to RSS
Post-TIPS Hepatic EncephalopathyFunding Details Not supported by any funding.
Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) procedures may be complicated by hepatic encephalopathy related to excessive shunting of portal venous blood into the systemic circulation without detoxification by the liver parenchyma. Although liver transplantation is the only curative treatment option, only a few patients can benefit from this procedure. In a first step, medical, conservative management is performed. In case of hepatic encephalopathy, refractory to medical management, several interventional techniques are available to reduce the diameter of the TIPS and subsequently, to reduce the volume of shunted portal venous blood. Technical aspects, devices and outcome results of these reduction procedures will be discussed as well as preventive procedures and devices which can be used during initial TIPS procedures.
Nothing to disclose by any author.
Received: 11 October 2021
Accepted: 19 January 2022
Article published online:
23 May 2022
© 2022. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc.
333 Seventh Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10001, USA
- 1 Schindler P, Seifert L, Masthoff M. et al. TIPS modification in the management of shunt-induced hepatic encephalopathy: Analysis of predictive factors and outcome with shunt modification. J Clin Med 2020; 9 (02) 567
- 2 Boyer TD, Haskal ZJ. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. American Association for the study of the liver diseases. The role of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) in the management of portal hypertension: update 2009. Hepatology 2010; 51 (01) 306
- 3 Rowley MW, Choi M, Chen S, Hirsch K, Seetharam AB. Refractory hepatic encephalopathy after elective transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt: Risk factors and outcomes with revision. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2018; 41 (11) 1765-1772
- 4 Madoff DC, Wallace MJ, Ahrar K, Saxon RR. TIPS-related hepatic encephalopathy: management options with novel endovascular techniques. Radiographics 2004; 24 (01) 21-36 discussion 36–37
- 5 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, European Association for the Study of the Liver. Hepatic encephalopathy in chronic liver disease: 2014 practice guideline by the European Association for the Study of the Liver and the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. J Hepatol 2014; 61 (03) 642-659
- 6 Bass NM, Mullen KD, Sanyal A. et al. Rifaximin treatment in hepatic encephalopathy. N Engl J Med 2010; 362 (12) 1071-1081
- 7 Pereira K, Carrion AF, Martin P. et al. Current diagnosis and management of post-transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt refractory hepatic encephalopathy. Liver Int 2015; 35 (12) 2487-2494
- 8 Bureau C, Thabut D, Jezequel C. et al. The use of Rifaximin in the prevention of overt hepatic encephalopathy after transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt. Ann Intern Med 2021; 174 (05) 633-640
- 9 de Wit K, Schaapman JJ, Nevens F. et al. Prevention of hepatic encephalopathy by administration of rifaximin and lactulose in patients with liver cirrhosis undergoing placement of a transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS): a multicentre randomised, double blind, placebo controlled trial (PEARL trial). BMJ Open Gastroenterol 2020; 7 (01) e000531
- 10 Lewis DS, Lee TH, Konanur M. et al. Proton pump inhibitor use is associated with an increased frequency of new or worsening hepatic encephalopathy after transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt creation. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2019; 30 (02) 163-169
- 11 Dai R, Sag AA, Martin JG. et al. Proton pump inhibitor use is associated with increased rates of post-TIPS hepatic encephalopathy: Replication in an independent patient cohort. Clin Imaging 2021; 77: 187-192
- 12 Sturm L, Bettinger D, Giesler M. et al. Treatment with proton pump inhibitors increases the risk for development of hepatic encephalopathy after implantation of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS). United European Gastroenterol J 2018; 6 (09) 1380-1390
- 13 Schepis F, Vizzutti F, Garcia-Tsao G. et al. laffi G, Marra F, Villa E. Under-dilated TIPS associate with efficacy and reduced encephalopathy in a prospective, non-randomized study of patients with cirrhosis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2018; 16 (07) 1153-1162.e7
- 14 Pieper CC, Jansen C, Meyer C. et al. Prospective evaluation of passive expansion of partially dilated transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt stent grafts – A three dimentional sonography study. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2017; 28 (01) 117-125
- 15 Wang Q. lv Y, Bai M, Wang Z, Liu H, He C, Niu J, Guo W, Luo B, Yin Z, Bai W, Chen H, Wang E, Xia D, Li X, Yuan J, Han N, Cai H, li T, Xie H, Xia J, Wang J, Zhang H, Wu K, Fan D, Han G. Eight millimetre covered TIPS does not compromise shunt function but reduces hepatic encephalopathy in preventing variceal bleeding. J Hepatol 2017; 67: 508-516
- 16 Praktiknjo M, Abu-Omar J, Chang J. et al. COntrolled underdilatation using novel VIATORR R controlled expansion stents improves survival after transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt implantation. JHEP Rep 2021; 3: 1000264
- 17 Farsad K, Kolbeck KJ, Keller FS, Barton RE, Kaufman JA. Primary creation of an externally constrained TIPS: a technique to control reduction of the portosystemic gradient. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2015; 204 (04) 868-871
- 18 Pattynama PM, Wils A, van der Linden E, van Dijk LC. Embolization with an Amplatzer vascular plug in TIPS patients. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2007; 30 (06) 1218-1221
- 19 Maleux G, Verslype C, Heye S, Wilms G, Marchal G, Nevens F. Endovascular shunt reduction in the management of transjugular portosystemic shunt-induced hepatic encephalopathy: preliminary experience with reduction stents and stent-grafts. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2007; 188 (03) 659-664
- 20 Maleux G, Heye S, Verslype C, Nevens F. Management of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt induced refractory hepatic encephalopathy with the parallel technique: results of a clinical follow-up study. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2007; 18 (08) 986-992 , quiz 993
- 21 Cookson DT, Zaman Z, Gordon-Smith J, Ireland HM, Hayes PC. Management of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS)-associated refractory hepatic encephalopathy by shunt reduction using the parallel technique: outcomes of a retrospective case series. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2011; 34 (01) 92-99
- 22 Joseph AS, Sandhu B, Khalil A, Lopera J. Transjugular portosystemic shunt reductions: A retrospective single-center experience. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2019; 30 (06) 876-884
- 23 Sze DY, Hwang GL, Kao JS. et al. Bidirectionally adjustable TIPS reduction by parallel stent and stent-graft deployment. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2008; 19 (11) 1653-1658
- 24 Kroma G, Lopera J, Cura M, Suri R, El-Merhi F, Reading J. Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt flow reduction with adjustable polytetrafluoroethylene-covered balloon-expandable stents. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2009; 20 (07) 981-986
- 25 Blue RC, Lo GC, Kim E. et al. Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt flow reduction with adjustable polytetraethylene-covered balloon-expandable stents using the “sheath control” technique. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2016; 39 (06) 935-939
- 26 Jacquier A, Vidal V, Monnet O. et al. A modified procedure for transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt flow reduction. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2006; 17 (08) 1359-1363
- 27 Monnin-Bares V, Thony F, Sengel C, Bricault I, Leroy V, Ferretti G. Stent-graft narrowed with a lasso catheter: an adjustable TIPS reduction technique. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2010; 21 (02) 275-280
- 28 Fanelli F, Salvatori FM, Rabuffi P. et al. Management of refractory hepatic encephalopathy after insertion of TIPS: long-term results of shunt reduction with hourglass-shaped balloon-expandable stent-graft. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2009; 193 (06) 1696-1702
- 29 Nwawka OK, Bathala T, Kabutey NK, Kim D. Simple technique for transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt reduction using a flared stent graft. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2012; 23 (09) 1251-1253