Subscribe to RSS
An Unusual Presentation of Primary Hepatic LymphomaFunding None.
Primary hepatic lymphoma (PHL) is a rare disease that usually manifests as a heterogenous solitary intrahepatic mass, multiple lesions or a diffuse infiltrative form. PHL presenting as a small focal area of hepatic involvement and a large predominant extrahepatic component is uncommon. We report a histopathologically proven case of primary hepatic lymphoma that caused significant diagnostic dilemma on contrast-enhanced computed tomography due to its unusual imaging appearance as a hypo-enhancing intra-abdominal solid mass with relatively small area of hepatic parenchymal involvement and a large exophytic component.
Article published online:
15 August 2022
© 2022. Indian Society of Gastrointestinal and Abdominal Radiology. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Alves AMA, Torres US, Velloni FG, Ribeiro BJ, Tiferes DA, D'Ippolito G. The many faces of primary and secondary hepatic lymphoma: imaging manifestations and diagnostic approach. Radiol Bras 2019; 52 (05) 325-330
- 2 Elsayes KM, Menias CO, Willatt JM, Pandya A, Wiggins M, Platt J. Primary hepatic lymphoma: imaging findings. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol 2009; 53 (04) 373-379
- 3 Tomasian A, Sandrasegaran K, Elsayes KM, Shanbhogue A, Shaaban A, Menias CO. Hematologic malignancies of the liver: spectrum of disease. Radiographics 2015; 35 (01) 71-86
- 4 Bach AG, Behrmann C, Holzhausen HJ, Spielmann RP, Surov A. Prevalence and imaging of hepatic involvement in malignant lymphoproliferative disease. Clin Imaging 2012; 36 (05) 539-546
- 5 Ross A, Friedman LS. 2006. The liver in systemic disease. In: Bacon BR, O'Grady JG, Di Bisceglie AM, Lake JR. et al (eds) Comprehensive clinical hepatology 2nd ed. Mosby Elsevier Ltd.; Philadelphia: 537-547
- 6 Page RD, Romaguera JE, Osborne B. et al. Primary hepatic lymphoma: favorable outcome after combination chemotherapy. Cancer 2001; 92 (08) 2023-2029
- 7 Maher MM, McDermott SR, Fenlon HM. et al. Imaging of primary non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the liver. Clin Radiol 2001; 56 (04) 295-301
- 8 Emile JF, Azoulay D, Gornet JM. et al. Primary non-Hodgkin's lymphomas of the liver with nodular and diffuse infiltration patterns have different prognoses. Ann Oncol 2001; 12 (07) 1005-1010
- 9 Sanders LM, Botet JF, Straus DJ, Ryan J, Filippa DA, Newhouse JH. CT of primary lymphoma of the liver. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1989; 152 (05) 973-976
- 10 Coakley FV, O'Reilly EM, Schwartz LH, Panicek DM, Castellino RA. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma as a cause of intrahepatic periportal low attenuation on CT. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1997; 21 (05) 726-728
- 11 Park KY, Yu JS, Yoon SW, Park MS, Koo JS, Kim KW. Burkitt's lymphoma representing periportal infiltrating mass on CT. Yonsei Med J 2004; 45 (04) 723-726