Purse-string transoral outlet reduction (TORe) is effective at inducing weight loss and improvement in metabolic comorbidities after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
submitted 04. Juli 2017
accepted after revision 25. September 2017
18. Dezember 2017 (online)
Background and study aims Transoral outlet reduction (TORe), performed using a traditional interrupted or a recently described purse-string suture pattern, is effective at inducing short- and mid-term weight loss in patients with weight regain after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB). We aimed to determine the technical feasibility and safety of purse-string TORe and to assess its impact on weight and metabolic profiles.
Patients and methods RYGB patients undergoing purse-string TORe were included. The gastrojejunal anastomosis (GJA) was ablated using argon plasma coagulation or dissected using endoscopic submucosal dissection. A suture was used to place stitches around the GJA in a continuous ring fashion. The suture was cinched over a balloon (8 – 12 mm). The primary outcome was technical feasibility. Secondary outcomes were the percentage of total body weight lost (%TWL), adverse events, impact on comorbidities, and predictors of weight loss.
Results 252 RYGB patients underwent 260 purse-string TORes. They had regained 52.6 ± 46.4 % of lost weight and weighed 107.6 ± 24.6 kg. The technical success rate was 100 %. At 6 and 12 months, %TWL was 9.6 ± 6.3 and 8.4 ± 8.2. Two serious adverse events (0.8 %) occurred: gastrointestinal bleeding and GJA stenosis. At 12 months, blood pressure, hemoglobin A1c, and ALT had improved. Prior weight regain was associated with %TWL at 12 months (β = 0.07, P = 0.007) after controlling for BMI, pouch size, and number of purse-string rings.
Conclusion Purse-string TORe to treat weight regain after RYGB is technically feasible and safe. Additionally, it is associated with improvement in weight and comorbidity profiles up to 12 months post-procedure.
- 1 Abegg K, Corteville C, Docherty NG. et al. Effect of bariatric surgery combined with medical therapy versus intensive medical therapy or calorie restriction and weight loss on glycemic control in Zucker diabetic fatty rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2015; 308: R321-R329
- 2 O’Brien PE, McPhail T, Chaston TB. et al. Systematic review of medium-term weight loss after bariatric operations. Obes Surg 2006; 16: 1032-1040
- 3 Christou NV, Look D, Maclean LD. Weight gain after short- and long-limb gastric bypass in patients followed for longer than 10 years. Ann Surg 2006; 244: 734-740
- 4 Sjöström L, Lindroos A-K, Peltonen M. et al. Lifestyle, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk factors 10 years after bariatric surgery. NEJM 2004; 351: 2683-2693
- 5 McGrice M, Don Paul K. Interventions to improve long-term weight loss in patients following bariatric surgery: challenges and solutions. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes 2015; 8: 263-274
- 6 Heneghan HM, Yimcharoen P, Brethauer SA. et al. Influence of pouch and stoma size on weight loss after gastric bypass. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2012; 8: 408-415
- 7 Abu Dayyeh BK, Lautz DB, Thompson CC. Gastrojejunal stoma diameter predicts weight regain after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011; 9: 228-233
- 8 Thompson CC, Jacobsen GR, Schroder GL. et al. Stoma size critical to 12-month outcomes in endoscopic suturing for gastric bypass repair. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2012; 8: 282-287
- 9 Thompson CC, Slattery J, Bundga ME. et al. Peroral endoscopic reduction of dilated gastrojejunal anastomosis after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a possible new option for patients with weight regain. Surg Endosc 2006; 20: 1744-1748
- 10 Mullady DK, Lautz DB, Thompson CC. Treatment of weight regain after gastric bypass surgery when using a new endoscopic platform: initial experience and early outcomes (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 70: 440-444
- 11 Ryou M, Mullady DK, Lautz DB. et al. Pilot study evaluating technical feasibility and early outcomes of second-generation endosurgical platform for treatment of weight regain after gastric bypass surgery. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2009; 5: 450-454
- 12 Thompson CC, Chand B, Chen YK. et al. Endoscopic suturing for transoral outlet reduction increases weight loss after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. Gastroenterology 2013; 145: 129-137.e3
- 13 Kumar N, Thompson CC. Comparison of a superficial suturing device with a full-thickness suturing device for transoral outlet reduction (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc 2014; 79: 984-989
- 14 Jirapinyo P, Slattery J, Ryan MB. et al. Evaluation of an endoscopic suturing device for transoral outlet reduction in patients with weight regain following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Endoscopy 2013; 45: 532-536
- 15 Kumar N, Thompson CC. Transoral outlet reduction for weight regain after gastric bypass: long-term follow-up. Gastrointest Endosc 2016; 83: 776-779
- 16 Kumar N, Thompson CC. The pursestring technique for endoscopic revision of gastric bypass. Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 82: 956
- 17 Patel LY, Lapin B, Brown CS. et al. Outcomes following 50 consecutive endoscopic gastrojejunal revisions for weight gain following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a comparison of endoscopic suturing techniques for stoma reduction. Surg Endosc 2017; 31: 2667-2677
- 18 Arterburn DE, Bogart A, Sherwood NE. et al. A multisite study of long-term remission and relapse of type 2 diabetes mellitus following gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2013; 23: 93-102
- 19 Schwartz RW, Strodel WE, Simpson WS. et al. Gastric bypass revision: lessons learned from 920 cases. Surgery 1988; 104: 806-812
- 20 Nguyen D, Dip F, Huaco JA. et al. Outcomes of revisional treatment modalities in non-complicated Roux-en-Y gastric bypass patients with weight regain. Obes Surg 2015; 25: 928-934
- 21 Himpens J, Coromina L, Verbrugghe A. et al. Outcomes of revisional procedures for insufficient weight loss or weight regain after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2012; 22: 1746-1754
- 22 Abu Dayyeh BK, Jirapinyo P, Weitzner Z. et al. Endoscopic sclerotherapy for the treatment of weight regain after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: outcomes, complications, and predictors of response in 575 procedures. Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 76: 275-282
- 23 Baretta GAP, Alhinho HCAW, Matias JEF. et al. Argon plasma coagulation of gastrojejunal anastomosis for weight regain after gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2015; 25: 72-79
- 24 Erion DM, Popov V, Hsiao JJ. et al. The role of the carbohydrate response element-binding protein in male fructose-fed rats. Endocrinology 2013; 154: 36-44
- 25 ASGE Technology Committee. Tierney WM, Adler DG. et al. Overtube use in gastrointestinal endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 70: 828-834