Clinical outcomes of endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial esophageal neoplasms extending to the cervical esophagus
submitted 16 March 2017
accepted after revision 23 October 2017
22 December 2017 (online)
Background The feasibility and safety of endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) for superficial esophageal neoplasms extending to the cervical esophagus currently remain unknown because of the limited number of cases. We aimed to clarify the clinical outcomes of these cases.
Methods This was a case series study conducted at a single institution that enrolled 26 consecutive patients with superficial esophageal neoplasms extending to the cervical esophagus who underwent ESD between July 2003 and December 2015.
Results En bloc and complete resection rates were both 100 % and no major intraprocedural complications occurred. Thirteen patients were treated with prophylactic steroid therapy. The incidence of postoperative stricture in patients with a circumferential mucosal defect of more than three-quarters was 72.7 %. Four patients required entire circumferential resection, with perforation occurring after endoscopic balloon dilation (EBD) in two and EBD being required for more than 1 year in the other two.
Conclusions ESD including the cervical esophagus is technically feasible. Circumferential resection may cause refractory postoperative stricture or post-EBD perforation, so needs to be avoided where possible.
- 1 Fujishiro M, Yahagi N, Kakushima N. et al. Endoscopic submucosal dissection of esophageal squamous cell neoplasms. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006; 4: 688-694
- 2 Ono S, Fujishiro M, Niimi K. et al. Predictors of postoperative stricture after esophageal endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial squamous cell neoplasms. Endoscopy 2009; 41: 661-665
- 3 Moore KL, Dalley AF, Agur AMR. Clinically oriented anatomy. 6. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2010: 1038
- 4 Kuwano H, Nishimura Y, Oyama T. et al. Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of carcinoma of the esophagus April 2012 edited by the Japan Esophageal Society. Esophagus 2015; 12: 1-30
- 5 Yamaguchi N, Isomoto H, Nakayama T. et al. Usefulness of oral prednisolone in the treatment of esophageal stricture after endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Gastrointest Endosc 2011; 73: 1115-1121
- 6 Tateya I, Muto M, Morita S. et al. Endoscopic laryngo-pharyngeal surgery for superficial laryngo-pharyngeal cancer. Surg Endosc 2016; 30: 323-329
- 7 Hashimoto S, Kobayashi M, Takeuchi M. et al. The efficacy of endoscopic triamcinolone injection for the prevention of esophageal stricture after endoscopic submucosal dissection. Gastrointest Endosc 2011; 74: 1389-1393
- 8 Katada C, Muto M, Manabe T. et al. Esophageal stenosis after endoscopic mucosal resection of superficial esophageal lesions. Gastrointest Endosc 2003; 57: 165-169
- 9 Ezoe Y, Muto M, Horimatsu T. et al. Efficacy of preventive endoscopic balloon dilation for esophageal stricture after endoscopic resection. J Clin Gastroenterol 2011; 45: 222-227
- 10 Hanaoka N, Ishihara R, Takeuchi Y. et al. Intralesional steroid injection to prevent stricture after endoscopic submucosal dissection for esophageal cancer: a controlled prospective study. Endoscopy 2012; 44: 1007-1011
- 11 Lian JJ, Ma LL, Hu JW. et al. Endoscopic balloon dilatation for benign esophageal stricture after endoscopic submucosal dissection for early esophageal neoplasms. J Dig Dis 2014; 15: 224-229
- 12 Isomoto H, Yamaguchi N, Nakayama T. et al. Management of esophageal stricture after complete circular endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. BMC Gastroenterol 2011; 11: 46
- 13 Clary MS, Daniero JJ, Keith SW. et al. Efficacy of large-diameter dilatation in cricopharyngeal dysfunction. Laryngoscope 2011; 121: 2521-2525
- 14 Dougherty M, Runge TM, Eluri S. et al. Esophageal dilation with either bougie or balloon technique as a treatment for eosinophilic esophagitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Gastrointest Endosc 2017; 86: 581-591.e3
- 15 Ahlawat SK, Al-Kawas FH. Endoscopic management of upper esophageal strictures after treatment of head and neck malignancy. Gastrointest Endosc 2008; 68: 19-24