Early Neoplasias of the Gallbladder and Bile Duct: An “Unstable” Biliary Epithelium?
Submitted 18 July 2002
Accepted after Revision 11 November 2002
03 June 2003 (online)
Benign tumours of the biliary tree are rare. In particular, only anecdotal cases of intraductal villous adenomas have been reported. The polyp-cancer sequence has not been observed in the biliary epithelium, in contrast to the paradigm of colorectal carcinogenesis. This report presents the case of a 64-year-old woman with a past history of cholelithiasis who had two early neoplasias involving the biliary epithelium: an adenocarcinoma in situ of the gallbladder and a common bile duct (CBD) villous adenoma with high-grade dysplasia. The tumours presented 4 years apart. The clinical features and combined radiological, cytological, and surgical modalities leading to the diagnosis of intraductal villous adenoma are presented. The endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) characteristics of villous adenoma of the CBD are described.
While the prognosis on both occasions appears excellent following curative resections of both tumours detected at an early stage, it is possible that further neoplasia involving the biliary tree may recur. There are currently no data on optimal surveillance modalities. It may be hypothesized that the gallbladder and biliary epithelium share a similar mechanism for carcinogenesis to that observed in the colonic adenomacarcinoma sequence.
- 1 Sheth S, Bedford A, Chopra S. Primary gallbladder cancer: recognition of risk factors and the role of prophylactic cholecystectomy. Am J Gastroenterol. 2000; 96 1402-1410
- 2 Yoshida T, Sugai T, Habano W. et al . Microsatellite instability in gallbladder carcinoma: two independent genetic pathways of gallbladder carcinogenesis. J Gastroenterol. 2000; 35 768-774
- 3 Hui A M, Li X, Shi Y Z. et al . p27 (Kip1) expression in normal epithelia, precancerous lesions, and carcinomas of the gallbladder: association with cancer progression and prognosis. Hepatology. 2000; 31 1068-1072
- 4 Sato T, Habon W, Suggai T. et al . Aberrations of the K-ras, p53 and APC genes in extrahepatic bile duct cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2000; 73 158-163
- 5 Vogelstein B, Fearon E R, Hamilton S R. et al . Genetic alterations during colorectal tumor development. N Engl J Med. 1988; 319 525-532
- 6 Chae B W, Chung J P, Park Y N. et al . Villous adenoma of the bile ducts: a case report and a review of the reported cases in Korea. Yonsei Med J. 1999; 40 84-89
- 7 Jennings P E, Rode J, Coral A. et al . Villous adenoma of the common bile duct: the role of ultrasound in management. Gut. 1990; 31 558-560
- 8 Taniai N, Onda M, Tajiri T. et al . Synchronous carcinoma of the gallbladder in a patient with intrahepatic bile duct carcinoma. Hepatogastroenterology. 2000; 47 121-124
- 9 Aldridge M C, Bismuth H. Gallbladder cancer: the polyp-cancer sequence. Br J Surg. 1990; 77 363-364
- 10 Kozuka S, Tsubone M, Yasui A. et al . Relation of adenoma to carcinoma in the gallbladder. Cancer. 1982; 50 2226-2234
- 11 Harbison J, Reynolds J V, Sheahan K. et al . Evidence for the polyp-cancer sequence in gallbladder cancer. Ir Med J. 1997; 90 98
- 12 Beger H G, Treitschke F, Gansauge F. et al . Tumor of the ampulla of Vater: experience with local radical resection in 171 consecutively treated patients. Arch Surg. 1999; 134 526-532
- 13 Blot E, Heron F, Cardot F. et al . Villous adenoma of the common bile duct. J Clin Gastroenterol. 1996; 22 77-79
- 14 Buckley J G, Salimi Z. Villous adenoma of the common bile duct. Abdom Imaging. 1993; 18 245-246
- 15 Saxe J, Lucas C, Ledgerwood A M, Sugawa C. Villous adenoma of the common bile duct. Arch Surg. 1988; 123 96
- 16 Burhans R, Myers R T. Benign neoplasms of the extrahepatic biliary ducts. Am Surg. 1971; 32 161-166
- 17 Cattell A H. Polypoid epithelial tumors of the bile ducts. N Engl J Med. 1962; 262 57-61
- 18 Palazzo L. Imaging and staging of bilio-pancreatic tumours: role of endoscopic and intraductal ultrasonography and guided cytology. Ann Oncol. 1999; 10 (Suppl 4) 25-27
- 19 Dancygier H, Nattermann C. The role of endoscopic ultrasonography in biliary tract disease: obstructive jaundice. Endoscopy. 1994; 26 800-802
- 20 Pfau P R, Chak A. Endoscopic ultrasonography. Endoscopy. 2002; 34 21-28
- 21 Fritscher-Ravens A, Broering D C, Sriram P V. et al . EUS-guided fine-needle aspiration cytodiagnosis of hilar cholangiocarcinoma: a case series. Gastrointest Endosc. 2000; 52 534-540
- 22 Menzel J, Domschke W. Intraductal ultrasonography (IDUS) of the pancreato-biliary duct system: personal experience and review of literature. Eur J Ultrasound. 1999; 10 105-115
- 23 Menzel J, Poremba C, Dietl K H, Domschke W. Preoperative diagnosis of bile duct strictures: comparison of intraductal ultrasonography with conventional endosonography. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2000; 35 77-82
J. Goh M.D., M.R.C.P.
Dept. of Gastroenterology · Selly Oak Hospital
Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak · Birmingham B29 6JD · United Kingdom
Fax: + 44-121-6278439